Overheating slow USB WiFi adaptor?

AndreiArgeanu

So I have a TP Link AC600 also called Archer T2U, in theory it should be one of the better ones available. Now I'm using this on a computer as I don't have a direct cable. Now in my room there is always good coverage of WiFi and all devices, except this one get very close to the maximum speed except this WiFi adaptor. I have it installed on a USB 3 port on the motherboard just to make sure it's not limited. 

So, for what I did is I plug it in and then I quickly hit it with speed tests, first speed test goes up to 40mbps while not maximum, its not far off and is acceptable but halfway through the test it drops to to 18 Mbps. I repeated these tests untill I ended up with an average of 2.5mbps Down with about 8-10mbps up (10mbps upload is usually what I get at the start as well) and after a number of speed tests it just had an upload test error so I stopped there. Now when I take the USB out it feels rather warm to the touch, mainly the USB bit that goes in the PC, the plastic isn't really that conductive so I cant really feel a difference. 

So, is there a fix for this issue? Or am I stuck with a useless WiFi adaptor? 

Edit:OS is Windows 7

• Download the drivers for your adapter here, check the adapter itself to determine what version you have (V1, V2, V3)
  • Uninstall your old drivers under Device Manager in Windows, click on Network adapters, right click TP Link AC600, uninstall device, make sure remove drivers is checked off.
  • Install your new drivers you downloaded previously and see if that helps. 
  • image.png.f6dda31124d352a9d286ce97bf3fd29e.png