Planing to build NAS. Need advise

pani_alex

Hi, im planing to build a NAS (this is my filst time, i have no experience with NAS but im use to build pcs).

Here is what i have

a msi wind nettop 120 (from the garbage) (it have 2 sata, 1 CF, 1 mini PCIe in with im planing to put a 2 port sata card, it also have a another place where supose to be a second mini PCIe slot but it is not, does some one know if i solder there the conector it will work? (just for fan, im curious))

i have bought a CF card for the OS, it is on the way

planing to use 2 hdd  4TB with ZFS mirror with LZ4 compresion, since it supose to make some more space and speed

add another mirror if necesary to increase capacity (can i just add the disk to the mirror pool and tell it to extent the disk space or have to create another pool and use it separated?)

I have read that ZFS in mirror is more secure that Z1, also ideal will be 3 HDD in mirror but i think its near imposible that 2 disk die at the same time.

I also dont know if this nettop will suport 2 x 3,5" HDD, and if the diference in power consumption between 3,5 and 2,5 HDD its that big, since 3,5 HDD its cheaper and there is more variety. Give me some advice.

the SO im planing to use is OMV, also i want to install on it plex (dont want transcoding, dont know jet if it can be desabled), and nextCloud

i have some technical questions about how does how the SO works and how to plevent a complete lost of data in case the CF card dies or the pc dies

1- can i ran the SO in a configuration some how in mirror, lets say the secong sotorage in the SD reader, so if the CF dies it still runs and i just have to replace the CF so it reconstrucs it self and nothing happend (i realy dont have any idea) or do make some how a exact copy in another CF by usb adapter, so it the CF #1 dies, in the boot secuence the CF #2 boot and it continues working normaly?

2- what if the pc dies, how i preven to lost all my data, how do a conect my existing mirror on a new pc?

The wole idea of the NAS its becouse im tired of corrupted files and have everything in many pcs, so all will be on the NAS. And the ZFS in mirror supose to avoid corrupted files, and the raid1 dont hava thise "data integrity" i think it was

7 minutes ago, pani_alex said:

the SO im planing to use is OMV,

Why OMV? id go freenas if you want zfs here.

i have some technical questions about how does how the SO works and how to plevent a complete lost of data in case the CF card dies or the pc dies

All the data is on the drives, so if you lose the os, just can mount the drives on anouther system and use it there.

2- what if the pc dies, how i preven to lost all my data, how do a conect my existing mirror on a new pc?

You can mount zfs on most linux and *bsd systems.

The wole idea of the NAS its becouse im tired of corrupted files and have everything in many pcs, so all will be on the NAS. And the ZFS in mirror supose to avoid corrupted files, and the raid1 dont hava thise "data integrity" i think it was

You shouldn't just have corruption issues, that probably caused by another hardware issue.

ZFS helps, but corruption shouldn't normally be an issue anways.

(can i just add the disk to the mirror pool and tell it to extent the disk space or have to create another pool and use it separated?)

Just can just add a mirror to an existing zpool

Also what is your backup plan? Using raid isn't backup.

Derp.  Copy/paste issue

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why OMV? id go freenas if you want zfs here.

well, thise nettop cant handle freenas as i have seen, the cpu is to weak and i will need 8gb ram

All the data is on the drives, so if you lose the os, just can mount the drives on anouther system and use it there.

You can mount zfs on most linux and *bsd systems.

but what i dont know is for example, i have read that raid withoud the information that says what is contained in the raid, all data is inaccesible.

so with ZFS a create a new pool in other pc, add the disks and it will work? what if i add just one of the 2 disk mirror?

You shouldn't just have corruption issues, that probably caused by another hardware issue.

ZFS helps, but corruption shouldn't normally be an issue anways.

Just can just add a mirror to an existing zpool

i dont know what is the problem but some time a picture is damage or a mp3, with mp3 its not a big deal becouse i can get it again, its just anoing, but a picture its a big problem

Just now, pani_alex said:

well, thise nettop cant handle freenas as i have seen, the cpu is to weak and i will need 8gb ram

Freenas will run on less than 8gb of ram, thats just recommended, just try freenas. The os its self only need like 1gb of ram.

1 minute ago, pani_alex said:

but what i dont know is for example, i have read that raid withoud the information that says what is contained in the raid, all data is inaccesible.

so with ZFS a create a new pool in other pc, add the disks and it will work? what if i add just one of the 2 disk mirror?

You can read all the data with one drive in the mirror.

1 minute ago, pani_alex said:

dont know what is the problem but some time a picture is damage or a mp3, with mp3 its not a big deal becouse i can get it again, its just anoing, but a picture its a big problem

Seems like a hdd or other hardware issue. This shouldn't happen.

What is your backup plan? Id just get a 8tb hdd for your desktop, and a good backup solution.

6 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Freenas will run on less than 8gb of ram, thats just recommended, just try freenas. The os its self only need like 1gb of ram.

ok, i will setup a VM and test it

You can read all the data with one drive in the mirror.

ok

Seems like a hdd or other hardware issue. This shouldn't happen.

What is your backup plan? Id just get a 8tb hdd for your desktop, and a good backup solution.

with the pictures its now to often, just have noticed some times. The problem with  mp3 corrupted its more often in my smartphone but also in pc, so my idea was to simply have a bk tool and restore from the NAS each time some song dies.

i have read that nextCloud have a tool to backup your entire phone, do a factory reset and restore it again. But i still cant make the app work, not in pc, not in android, just on web in the same pc where the VM is running, im still learning to configure it

btw thanks for the answer