? Tesla Truck Kinda Edgy Tho - Tesla releases oddly polygonal pickup truck

rcmaehl
4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

When you say closed, do you mean the tailgate, or the tonneau cover too?

Because if it’s like other pickups, the tonneau cover might negatively impact range.

In a traditional pickup design, the removal of the cover creates an aero effect that helps the air slide off the square top more smoothly because the air gets caught in the bed and circled around to provide pressure back behind the cab.  On the Tesla, this won't be the case as the cover is angled from the top of the cab, so it will mechanically do this as a full aero package.  The question would be if the normal effect is good enough and still applies, and then how horrible it will handle additional drag from anything you might mount in the bed (say ladders on ladder racks as an easy example).

We shall have to wait and see.

But hey, it could be worse…it could be the new "Mustang".  At least this thing was always known to be thinking outside the box, has a name and design to match, and has a reasonable price for the comparable pickups if it doesn't fall on its face.

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

o even people who drove it didn’t think it was real.

its not real, publicity machine is churning

lots of concepts on paper are turned into a driveable machine, but will never be production ready

i like how elon turns on the publicity machine

15 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

its not real, publicity machine is churning

lots of concepts on paper are turned into a driveable machine, but will never be production ready

i like how elon turns on the publicity machine

Never is a big word.  You may or may not be right.  Near to well above 50% imho.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Never is a big word.  You may or may not be right.  Near to well above 50% imho.

maybe less then 50% maybe more then 50%

who is really counting anyways right ;)

I loved Charlie‘s take on it: „it looks like a halo warthog that hasn’t finished loading“

lmao so true

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

This remind me of playing rFactor/rFactor 2 when a new guy entered the server and his car is still loading. 

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

-snip-

Wrong thread? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 minute ago, xAcid9 said:

This remind me of playing rFactor/rFactor 2 when a new guy entered the server and his car is still loading. 

Wrong thread? 

Yeah, I'd just noticed it as well. 

As for the Space Jeep, it's really in competition with the Mercedes G Wagon and other high-end SUVs. That's really the market. Video of the interior points right too that.  Though this would look awesome in a parody of a SUV commercial set in the Cyberpunk 2077 universe. It's more of a luxury Ridgeline. 

7 hours ago, Atmos said:

-snips-

This is literally the opposite of what truck people want.

-snips-

Here's that this "truck" boils down to, and what every comment shown here and elsewhere online embracing it make known:

All of the people who complain that people who buy trucks, but don't use them as trucks, are gobbling this design up because it's a caricature of their beliefs. It's a non-truck. It's not functional as a truck as much as the specs try to lead you to believe otherwise.

Anyone who uses a truck regularly understands where this thing falls short. It's a grocery-getter and a mall crawler through and through.

Congratulations California, you finally have your own:

image.thumb.png.9d0e6a91e4e5b04faba3c4e70574a86c.png

10 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Here's that this "truck" boils down to, and what every comment shown here and elsewhere online embracing it make known:

All of the people who complain that people who buy trucks, but don't use them as trucks, are gobbling this design up because it's a caricature of their beliefs. It's a non-truck. It's not functional as a truck as much as the specs try to lead you to believe otherwise.

Anyone who uses a truck regularly understands where this thing falls short. It's a grocery-getter and a mall crawler through and through.

Congratulations California, you finally have your own:

image.thumb.png.9d0e6a91e4e5b04faba3c4e70574a86c.png

Yeah, that’s a grocery getter.  You can tell by the ridiculous rims. It’s likely never done a days work in its life.

And a dually no less.   Maybe with those it might even have the same bed weight capacity.  I notice there are burnout marks behind the tires.  

Does it have “truck nuts”?  I’m kind of expecting those now.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Yeah, that’s a grocery getter.  You can tell by the ridiculous rims. It’s likely never done a days work in its life.

And a dually no less.   Maybe with those it might even have the same bed weight capacity.  I notice there are burnout marks behind the tires.  

Does it have “truck nuts”?  I’m kind of expecting those now.

What's the organic, overly priced version of Truck Nuts going to be? :)

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

What's the organic, overly priced version of Truck Nuts going to be? :)

The 90’s answer would be crystals.  Or perhaps some stick wrapped in fringed leather with beads on it.  There might be something else now.  I don’t hang with that crowd much so I don’t know.  It’s certainly not going to be a pair of fake plastic genetalia sold at similar markup. There might not even be one.

Edited by Bombastinator
Addition at bottom

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Anyone who uses a truck regularly understands where this thing falls short.

I use a (big) truck daily, and fail to see where this thing falls short.

There's literally nothing about it that makes it any less of a usable truck than the Ranger, Colorado, Tacoma, or Dakota.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Something I didn't see anyone commenting on, is how this truck is a massive coffin. Take in mind the following - retractable door handles with electronic locks(already proven unreliable on the model s), body made of bulletproof 3mm thick steel panels, armored glass, massive lithium ion battery. Now imagine you're driving all that and you get involved in a nasty crash, how the fuck are you supposed to escape that? Electronics are messed up resulting in seized doors, you can't brake the glass because it's armored, even if you manage to crack it with those tools for breaking windows, it's "sandwich" laminated(any sort of armored/bulletproof glass is) on the inside so you can't break it off.. but hey, EMT arrives.. and they can't do shit - flushed door handles whos electronics have failed and didn't popped up, armored glass, don't have the tools to cut the body because it's designed for normal cars made from 0.8mm easily to cut through soft metal but the cybertruck is made from 3mm thick steel panels. Did I mentioned all of this is sitting on a massive battery that is very likely to catch fire the moment you crash?

It baffles me how unsafe the truck seems and what's even the point of all this? It's cool that the body is very touch and can withstand abuse but is it worth it? Exoskeleton, really? When it's shown with the doors open you can see that it's just an unibody with flat panels attached on it instead of curved ones. And what's with the trend on new cars(tesla are not the first one to make the side windows tougher) to make the side windows laminated(like the windshield), I'd rather get some scratches from the tiny glass pieces from the broken window during a crash than not being able to escape instead. Also the already mentioned everywhere bed that can't be loaded from the sides(also lacking bed liner and hook attachments for tying stuff), no side mirrors, no hitch for trailers(though it's show to tow one in one of the renders), questionable visibility due to the way the massive A-pillar is positioned on the front and a bunch of other things.

With that said, I like the idea of tesla releasing something that radical(I love the cyberpunk/80's futurism inspired aesthetic), but at this point it looks very poorly thought out. It makes a nice technical for isis though xD 

EDIT: wording

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

2 minutes ago, Progressor said:

Also the already mentioned everywhere bed that can't be loaded from the sides, no side mirrors

I've already addressed both of these things.

3 minutes ago, Progressor said:

no hitch for trailers,

It's a prototype. They're not going to worry about what is (very likely) a piece of optional equipment that's trivial to add.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

17 hours ago, Drak3 said:

The entire span of the rear light bar might be able to loophole itself into being street legal. There also might be a second rear light bar that we can't see due to the glass(?) tonneau cover...thing. As for mirrors, I think legally, cameras that provide the same function are legal to use.

For some people, this isn't really a problem. Particularly those that like to use bed slides, bed caps/covers, etc.

Light bars are becoming a more popular design on SUV's, makes sense if Tesla is going for that, the US DOT regulations on taillights are strict though.

Pics of the prototype truck show it having a cover, no way you could put a toolbox in the bed, nice for aero and the camera mirrors are also, but is it legal once you tow a trailer?

10 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

I use a (big) truck daily, and fail to see where this thing falls short.

There's literally nothing about it that makes it any less of a usable truck than the Ranger, Colorado, Tacoma, or Dakota.

Then it falls short compared to other trucks in its class like the F150,Silverado, or Ram, if the base version is only comparable to a mid size Ranger or Colorado.

45 minutes ago, Progressor said:

Something I didn't see anyone commenting on, is how this truck is a massive coffin. Take in mind the following - retractable door handles with electronic locks(already proven unreliable on the model s), body made of bulletproof 3mm thick steel panels, armored glass, massive lithium ion battery. Now imagine you're driving all that and you get involved in a nasty crash, how the fuck are you supposed to escape that? Electronics are messed up resulting in seized doors, you can't brake the glass because it's armored, even if you manage to crack it with those tools for breaking windows, it's laminated(any sort of armored/bulletproof glass is) on the inside so you can't break it off.. but hey, EMT arrives.. and they can't do shit - flushed door handles whos electronics have failed and didn't popped up, armored glass, don't have the tools to cut the body because it's designed for normal cars made from 0.8mm easily to cut through soft metal but the cybertruck is made from 3mm thick steel panels. Did I mentioned all of this is sitting on a massive battery that is very likely to catch fire the moment you crash?

It baffles me how unsafe the truck seems and what's even the point of all this? It's cool that the body is very touch and can withstand abuse but is it worth it? Exoskeleton, really? When it's shown with the doors open you can see that it's just an unibody with flat panels attached on it instead of curved ones. And what's with the trend on new cars(tesla are not the first one to make the side windows tougher) to make the side windows laminated(like the windshield), I'd rather get some scratches from the tiny glass pieces from the broken window during a crash than not being able to escape instead. Also the already mentioned everywhere bed that can't be loaded from the sides, no side mirrors, no hitch for trailers, questionable visibility due to the way the massive A-pillar is positioned on the front and a bunch of other things.

With that said, I like the idea of tesla releasing something that radical, but at this point it looks very poorly thought out.

Your simultaneous lack of knowledge about auto construction and history combined with your knowledge of the terminology is fascinating.

Allow me to fill in some gaps.

This is a rather famous problem for all vehicles with electronic locks.  The standard scenario is them going off a bridge into the water and having the electronics in the doors short.  People have died this way.  Iirc there are safeguards in place for that already.  It’s also a problem for vehicles with “lambo” doors because of a vehicle is flipped over the doors can’t open.  This also applies to full wing doors which the tesla X has.  The solution for full wing doors is to provide what is effectively a manual “door ejector” that allows an occupant to remove the door entirely from its hinges.  Doesn’t solve the “jaws of life” problem you describe.  I doubt there is one there though.  Those things can clip right through an entire  A pillar which is like 6 layers of automotive steel and several inches thick.  It should probably be tested.  It possibly already has.  

3mm stainless steel is insane.  That’s thicker than 12 gauge.  The whole car can’t be made of that.  It would be too heavy.  12 gauge stainless can’t even be manipulated really.  It’s plate more than it is steel.  Something is very wrong with that number.  Not sure what or where that problem originated.

All {windshield} auto glass is laminated and has been for a very long time.  The lamination is stretchy though.  There’s a long history of determine what and how thick the material should be.  There were various problems.  Necklacing was one.  Auto glass construction is very heavily regulated.

Edited by Bombastinator
Correction (bracketed)

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Pics of the prototype truck show it having a cover,

It also shows it being removed to load an ATV.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

Then it falls short compared to other trucks in its class like the F150,Silverado, or Ram, if the base version is only comparable to a mid size Ranger or Colorado.

Size wise, it really is along the lines of a lifted Dakota or Ranger.

It's also is comparable in towing to the base versions of the F150 (7700lbs towing), RAM 1500 (7700lbs towing), or Chevy 1500 (7600lbs towing), while having better payload. It also only comes in quad cab short bed, which is very a very common option now and the big 3 don't offer longer beds unless you get smaller cabs.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

All auto glass is laminated and has been for a very long time.

No, it isn't. For a long time, side windows are tempered safety glass, specifically so that specialized tools can easily break them in emergencies but so that they can survive minor impacts and everyday driving.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

14 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, it isn't. For a long time, side windows are tempered safety glass, specifically so that specialized tools can easily break them in emergencies but so that they can survive minor impacts and everyday driving.

Correct.  I was thinking of windshields.  Windshields are removable on the inside by kicking them out.  Side window glass is not breakable in an under water situation though because the pressure differential prevents it.

21 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Your simultaneous lack of knowledge about auto construction and history combined with your knowledge of the terminology is fascinating.

Allow me to fill in some gaps.

This is a rather famous problem for all vehicles with electronic locks.  The standard scenario is them going off a bridge into the water and having the electronics in the doors short.  People have died this way.  Iirc there are safeguards in place for that already.  It’s also a problem for vehicles with “lambo” doors because of a vehicle is flipped over the doors can’t open.  This also applies to full wing doors which the tesla X has.  The solution for full wing doors is to provide what is effectively a manual “door ejector” that allows an occupant to remove the door entirely from its hinges.  Doesn’t solve the “jaws of life” problem you describe.  I doubt there is one there though.  Those things can clip right through an entire  A pillar which is like 6 layers of automotive steel and several inches thick.  It should probably be tested.  It possibly already has.  

3mm stainless steel is insane.  That’s thicker than 12 gauge.  The whole car can’t be made of that.  It would be too heavy.  12 gauge stainless can’t even be manipulated really.  It’s plate more than it is steel.  Something is very wrong with that number.  Not sure what or where that problem originated.

All auto glass is laminated and has been for a very long time.  The lamination is stretchy though.  There’s a long history of determine what and how thick the material should be.  There were various problems.  Necklacing was one.

I see. I'm not an expert obviously so given the info released we got, all I can do is speculate. The numbers on the thickness are from here . Idk what their sources are but they make sense to me given the demonstration with the sledgehammer. No details on the weight but I'm curious if it's going to be something massive. 

NO! It's art, it's colonialism and you'll never get it!

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Side window glass is not breakable in an user water situation though because the pressure differential prevents it.

Yes, it is. The pressure differential is going to stop you from opening the door, until the cabin fills with water and pressure equalizes. 

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.