? Tesla Truck Kinda Edgy Tho - Tesla releases oddly polygonal pickup truck

rcmaehl

As a practical, technical matter, They should have rolled out a local-haul Semi. Electric Drive-powered Semi-trucks for local haul is a very real workload & use case. Instead, we have a 6 year old as car designer.

Someone just couldn't afford a good example of a Countach, could they?

Where are the bumpers and headlights if it’s release?  No blinkers either.  It’s not an even remotely street legal vehicle.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Where are the bumpers and headlights if it’s release?  No blinkers either.  It’s not an even remotely street legal vehicle.

In the test rides shown the headlights looked more like a light bar going across the whole front, no idea if that's even street legal though.

20 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

I think we've figured it out boys

Hide contents

EJ9Fv0qXYAArvd1.png

A fellow redditor i see!

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

The reality is that the designer PC didn't work, so he had to dig up his old IBM compatible 8086, and use old 3D software with his monochrome green display. He designed the car there, and then told the builder team to make it curved, but that note was lost in the email chain, and just built the car with the 3D model he sent with its low poly glory.

Am I the only one who likes the design? It's overly-futuristic and I love it.

I feel like the reason it's got mixed opinions is because it doesn't fit into modern cars' designs.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

1 hour ago, Grand Admiral Thrawn said:

This is an utility vehicle. It does not need the looks.

Function over form is what matters.

But does is still have the functions that normal cab on frame trucks have? Can I put a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch in it? Can I remove the bed and replace it with a flat bed? Are there other cab size options? I don't need the extra length of a crew cab, double cab with a long bed it what I like.

Obviously it isn't final. It doesn't have mirrors and a third brake light which are required in the US.

Is it a truck in the same vein the Chevrolet El Camino and the Australian utes "were" or is it a truck like, well, something that can tow?

This actually reminds me of a GMC Envoy XUV that somehow looks worse.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I like boxy cars but this is ugly as fuck.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Wow, this looks stupid and absolutely impractical. Also how does this pass any pedestrian safety when literally everyone else has to make squishy soft plastic bumpers and masks on car fronts, make hoods shaped in a way that collision with a person results in lesser damage to knees and head and here we basically have a super fast stainless steel anvil. The truck's back looks silly and impractical too. So it has a roulette to close the back. A back that's so tall only NBA players can reach in it relatively normally. With no tail gate which exists on pickup trucks for VERY good reason. It's hilarious even talking about acceleration with pickup trucks like it even matters at any point and sure it tows massive cargo loads, but no on mentions the range you'll be actually doing with that. All electric cars obsess with lesser AC usage, super skinny tires for least rolling resistance and all that crap and I call BS on stated range when you have heavy loads on it. Also point of rugged pickup trucks is that you can toss a canister of petrol in the back if needed for extra range or fill it up in minutes, anywhere, even in the middle of frigging forest. Depending on quick charge stations is just silly and impractical and charging it anywhere else means you'll be stuck there for hours, defeating all the purpose of it.

If Tesla did a standard pickup truck approach with electric drivetrain, I'd even understand it. Some might adopt it because they'd already know how to utilize it and it would be more ecological and all that jazz. I don't even know who can use this thing in any practical way and I feel like only people driving these will be rich people from California who need a bigger car than their neighbor to tow their skinny asses to a vegan restaurant, but they need to have electric one because green magic pixies lives matter! That's how I see it anyways...

I threw away my 2nd grade notebook, then this comes out... coincidence?! I think not.

4 minutes ago, Den-Fi said:

I threw away my 2nd grade notebook, then this comes out... coincidence?! I think not.

Now you gotta ask for royalties.

25 minutes ago, sowon said:

Am I the only one who likes the design? It's overly-futuristic and I love it.

I feel like the reason it's got mixed opinions is because it doesn't fit into modern cars' designs.

I love the sheer audacity of it.  Car makers are so tepid these days that it's good to see a brand stick its neck out and rethink the basics of design.  Polarizing?  You bet, but it beats another overly safe design any day.

Heh, at least ot rounded and bubbly in every way possible. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

Multiple people did a test drive including Marquees

To be fair, even I thought it was a Cyberpunk retro tie in add, with a bodykit then the "real" truck revealed next week or whatever... reading the headlines. Only on seeing the vid was I "oh, they gone Delorean on it!".

31 minutes ago, Commodus said:

but it beats another overly safe design any day.

So basically any modern Ford :P 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I'm pretty sure this is an elaborate troll, they only ask for a 100$ deposit to pre-order one of them. I think even for the Model 3 they asked for 1000$  and this car is more expensive. 

this must be cheap to get panels replaced, and easy to make modifications to. get a dent? just hammer it straight instead of weird curve shapes

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

1 minute ago, Maslofski said:

this must be cheap to get panels replaced, and easy to make modifications to

Maybe.  Depends on what’s welded and what’s bolted.  Stainless has advantages.  It’s stronger than mild steel and it’s rust resistant all the way through.  There’s a reason Delorean liked it.  This thing looks way too much like a delorean.  Makes me wonder if that’s on purpose.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Cyberpunk called they want their car back....

tbh I kinda like and dislike the design at the same time :/

im sure tho making the front angle steeper would have looked better. Maybe a horizontal roof line to bridge that part..

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

1 hour ago, Bombastinator said:

The black areas along the bottom, in the front and back, are the bumpers. Headlights are hidden in the top edge where a grill would meet the hood. Front signals look like they’re small lights in the bumper, and rear signals would just be sections of the rear light bar.

38 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I love the sheer audacity of it.  Car makers are so tepid these days that it's good to see a brand stick its neck out and rethink the basics of design.  Polarizing?  You bet, but it beats another overly safe design any day.

No. The thing doesn’t rethink the basics, it is basic. The overall design is very much in line with cars like the DMC-12 and Lotus Espirit S2. The silhouette resembles a Lamborgini Huracan that’s been lifted with a small, flat side skirt added.

1 hour ago, sowon said:

It's overly-futuristic and I love it.

The only things futuristic about it area the headlights and loading ramp. Everything else is a mix between early  to mid 90’s render and basic starting point for a generic car design.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The black areas along the bottom, in the front and back, are the bumpers. Headlights are hidden in the top edge where a grill would meet the hood. Front signals look like they’re small lights in the bumper, and rear signals would just be sections of the rear light bar.

No. The thing doesn’t rethink the basics, it is basic. The overall design is very much in line with cars like the DMC-12 and Lotus Espirit S2. The silhouette resembles a Lamborgini Huracan that’s been lifted with a small, flat side skirt added.

The only things futuristic about it area the headlights and loading ramp. Everything else is a mix between early  to mid 90’s render and basic starting point for a generic car design.

There’s futuristic and retro futuristic. The view of the future that was had at an earlier time.  Like steampunk.  There’s a reason they call car body design “styling”.  The classic example is the 57’ Chevy bel aire.  The big powerful fast things of the time were prop fighter planes so they took bits of the way prop fighter planes were shaped and kind of mushed them into a car shape.  Cars looked like this once upon a time because the biggest baddest thing was the sr71 and the stealth fighter.

I do not think it’s a final body design.  It may be a rough shape but it’s unstyled.  Total lack of bodylines for one thing.  It might wind up looking a lot like a Cadillac.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There’s futuristic and retro futuristic.

This piece of shit isn't futuristic. No matter how much mental gymnastics you try to do to say that it is.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.