Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rcmaehl

ūüė≥ Tesla Truck Kinda Edgy Tho - Tesla releases oddly polygonal pickup truck

12 hours ago, amdorintel said:

...110v charging is a joke

No, it is not. A friend of mine recently got a Chevy Bolt and she charges it from 110v and doesn't need to charge it every day.. She uses it for a grocery getter and commuting to and from work.

11 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Sort of. 110v is One phase. 220 is 2 phase.  Old areas like mine have 2 phase power. 2 110v cables running to the house from the pole along with a ground, so three wires.

Wrong on everything. 120v and 240v are single phase (120v and 240v have replaced 110-220v in most places and is the standard voltage per the NEC). There is no such thing as two phase in actual use. 120V is derived from splitting 220V. The three cables that come into 99 and 44/100ths of residences are single phase with two hot legs and one neutral leg. When a load is connected to a hot leg to the other hot leg, you get 240v (pure 240v loads do not need the neutral leg but will still need a ground which iis normally derived from and actual Earth ground). When the load connected hot leg to neutral leg, you get 120v. Neutral is supposed to always at ground potential (0V) but does carry some current, depending on how balanced the overall load is).

Long distance three phase transmission lines is higher voltage three phase (usually 220kv or 500kv) in a three wire delta connection (all three legs are hot; there is no need for a neutral). These are the power lines that usually run on steel single leg towers (aka poles) or the old style lattice towers (which are beiing phased out, pardon the pun) although older transmission lines were run on wood poles (also beeing phased out. In urban areas, lower voltage three phase (usually 69kv) is run on the upper part of poles (wood or steel) and frequently have 12kv distribution lines underbuilt (lower on the pole). The actual voltages may carry in different locations (many of the transmission lines going to mines, mostly copper, in parts of AZ are stlll 128kv but those are antiques).

Three phase distribution, on the other hand, have four legs-- three hots and a neutral--with most being a wye connection and are almost always used with industrial commercial loads (factories, stores, large office buildings, etc.) although residential loads occasionally will be three phase (usually larger homes, such as mansions although, when I was a child, the neighbors behind us had a three phase service even though it was overkill for a home that size).

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

If you’re taking construction, like large dump trucks, they also have better weight distribution on the ground, as well as being heavy enough to compact the ground underthem AND have off road wheels designed for them.

Now that we’re done with the game of false equivalences, pickups, what the Tesla is, sometimes get stuck. What the ones good at getting unstuck have is moderate low end torque. Enough to move the truck, but not enough to consistently spin the wheels and send mud flying.

And Tesla get to set the motor and torque curve. So, false equivalences?

Or is this something that can be done in the power delivery to the motor, or the stator/rotor control via "software" (in an ICE engine, we'd say fuel/air mix and "timings" which is also SOFTWARE these days)

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/4766332

49 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

No, it is not. A friend of mine recently got a Chevy Bolt and she charges it from 110v and doesn't need to charge it every day.. She uses it for a grocery getter and commuting to and from work.

Wrong on everything. 120v and 240v are single phase (120v and 240v have replaced 110-220v in most places and is the standard voltage per the NEC). There is no such thing as two phase in actual use. 120V is derived from splitting 220V. The three cables that come into 99 and 44/100ths of residences are single phase with two hot legs and one neutral leg. When a load is connected to a hot leg to the other hot leg, you get 240v (pure 240v loads do not need the neutral leg but will still need a ground which iis normally derived from and actual Earth ground). When the load connected hot leg to neutral leg, you get 120v. Neutral is supposed to always at ground potential (0V) but does carry some current, depending on how balanced the overall load is).

Long distance three phase transmission lines is higher voltage three phase (usually 220kv or 500kv) in a three wire delta connection (all three legs are hot; there is no need for a neutral). These are the power lines that usually run on steel single leg towers (aka poles) or the old style lattice towers (which are beiing phased out, pardon the pun) although older transmission lines were run on wood poles (also beeing phased out. In urban areas, lower voltage three phase (usually 69kv) is run on the upper part of poles (wood or steel) and frequently have 12kv distribution lines underbuilt (lower on the pole). The actual voltages may carry in different locations (many of the transmission lines going to mines, mostly copper, in parts of AZ are stlll 128kv but those are antiques).

Three phase distribution, on the other hand, have four legs-- three hots and a neutral--with most being a wye connection and are almost always used with industrial commercial loads (factories, stores, large office buildings, etc.) although residential loads occasionally will be three phase (usually larger homes, such as mansions although, when I was a child, the neighbors behind us had a three phase service even though it was overkill for a home that size).

Re: wrong on everything:

perhaps in your area. ¬†I know a great deal about how the electrical in my house works. ¬†I assure you that where I live that is exactly how it is done. ¬†I can provide pictures and meter readings if necessary. ¬†Now in YOUR area it may be different. ¬†My neighborhood is exceptionally primitive. ¬†I was providing myself as a low end scenario. ¬†1932 technology. ¬†It may be much better elsewhere. ¬†The point I was trying to make and apparently failed at was that even though my house uses tech from near 100 years ago I can still do phase 2 charging. ¬†This ‚Äúonly a few places can charge electric vehicles‚ÄĚ thing is demonstrably bogus.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, TechyBen said:

And Tesla get to set the motor and torque curve. So, false equivalences?

An electric motor’s torque curve is higher at lower RPM. You can’t change that.

3 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Or is this something that can be done in the power delivery to the motor,

As I’ve already said, it might be possible. But Likely not, I doubt that hitting the sweet spot of being able to move the truck and not turning the tires into soft earth saw blades is going to align with the current needed to get the motor turning.

9 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

in an ICE engine, we'd say fuel/air mix and "timings" which is also SOFTWARE these days)

And? ICE torque curves start at their low end at low RPMs. You can’t change that either.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 11/22/2019 at 8:14 PM, Drak3 said:
  1. Not everyone cares about towing. Some people want trucks for off roading, racing,  ricing, or hauling more than a car.
  2. Plenty of people prefer enclosed beds with easy access only being from the back. Tonneau covers and bed caps exist for a reason.
  3. Some people just want a bed for things like ATVs or dirt bikes, not tool boxes. I removed mine because it was not practical for my needs.
  4. Trucks aren’t only for work.
  5. Some people don’t want passengers in their trucks, me being one of them. What this thing offers is fine for us.
  6. See #1
  7. See #3
  8. Not everyone wants an intimidating truck.
  9. Too early to really know.
  10. See #6. Some people also only care about going short distances. The only problem this thing has is refills, which some people don’t care about.

If your list was absolute, the Tacoma, Ranger, Dakota, Colorado/Canyon, and other light half tons and smaller wouldn’t exist. But they do, because some people don’t need an F150 or bigger.

So everything you keep arguing about is that there are SOME people out there that this vehicle would be for. I agree that SOME people will buy it, but MOST people will not, which is what Tesla is after, the mass market. Ford sells an F-150 almost every 30 seconds (almost 1.1mil in 2018), and that is just ONE model of a truck from a single company. Add up all the rest of the 'traditional' trucks on sale and those 200k pre-orders (which doesn't guarantee a sale) looks pretty insignificant. The reasons that the person you responded to gave are all most of the reasons people buy those trucks in the first place. No not ALL the reasons, but the vast majority. If you are trying to bring electric alternatives to the massive truck industry, you need to have at least a handful of the same features from all those 'traditional' designs, there's a reason they are there. Otherwise you are only gonna get the enthusiasts or random handful of purchases.

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

Complaints about electric vehicles I have seen so far on this thread (I may miss one or two.  I’m doing it from memory)

‚Äúelectric vehicles are worse for the environment than gas cars‚ÄĚ -proven false. This then changed to ‚Äúelectric vehicles are just or nearly as bad for the environment as gas cars‚ÄĚ -proven false, though they are also not as good as some claims have made.

take home:  Worst case half as bad as gas cars.  Possibly even less.

‚Äúelectric vehicles cost too much‚ÄĚ - proven false

‚ÄĚelectric vehicles cannot be charged most places‚ÄĚ -proven false. ¬†This then changed to ‚Äúelectric vehicles can be charged¬†but not charged fast enough‚ÄĚ -proven false in the vast majority of cases but not all of them. ¬†This then changed to ‚Äúelectric vehicles cannot be charged by apartment owners‚ÄĚ -proven false in many but not all cases. ¬†
Take home: electric vehicle charging is imperfect and there are some situations where it is not viable.  It is by no means the majority or even a large minority though, even without any expansion.  Though expansion is happening.

‚ÄĚelectric vehicles are unreliable and explode‚ÄĚ. ¬†- proven false. Gas engines are actually worse. ¬†This then changed to ‚Äúelectric vehicles explode gas cars don‚Äôt‚ÄĚ -proven false.¬†
Take home: electric car explosions are more pyrotechnic than gas car explosions but they happen more rarely, and there is tech to prevent them from happening at all.

‚Äúelectric vehicles have too much torque and will get stuck easier than gas engines‚ÄĚ ¬†-not yet proven false. ¬†It seems likely that it will though.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

@EarthWormJM2 Are you going to keep rehashing early parts of arguments?

I need to know so I can expect a higher number of nothingburger notifications.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

It looks like something out an early 80's Si-fi movie set in 2020. 

---Intel I7 4790k@4.6GHz@1.24v---Gigabyte Z97gaming 5----H100i----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----3tb Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----16GB Kingston HyperX Beast 2400Mhz----Sapphire Fury TriX----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

2 minutes ago, grayperview said:

It looks like something out an early 80's Si-fi movie set in 2020. 

Ah. That’s right.  This was actually about the cyber truck, not electric vehicles in general.  Thankyou.  

Complaints about the cyber truck:

-Various complaints about its looks.

Art is subjective.  It often says more about the feelings of the poster than the vehicle though.

-Various complaints about projected safety.  All made using specific quotes from Musk’s speech. Not impossible, but unknown.  They in any case will be addressed by relevant authorities.  If they’re not false they will be before it is released.

-Various complaints about functionality.

these proved to be mostly effectively false or niche situations.  It will not be useful for absolutely everything a more traditional design is.  The cyber truck can be considered a truck with permanent bed side extensions.  This does limit it for some things though not very many.

51 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

An electric motor’s torque curve is higher at lower RPM. You can’t change that.

As I’ve already said, it might be possible. But Likely not, I doubt that hitting the sweet spot of being able to move the truck and not turning the tires into soft earth saw blades is going to align with the current needed to get the motor turning.

And? ICE torque curves start at their low end at low RPMs. You can’t change that either.

Did you read my links? These things were sorted in the 80s.

You are still acting as if ICE cars never had to solve an engine limitation problem. You are still complaining a boat cannot fly, or aircraft cannot ride the subway.

[Edit]

Found one in mud:

"But, but, air is too light, and metal too heavy, you'll never have heavier than air flying machines"... it's a solved "problem" already. Stop trash talking.

Will it be "as cheap"? Possibly not. Will it be the *same* as an ICE engine/car? Nope. Does not mean it's "useless" or "stupid" or "gonna get stuck in the mud" :/

14 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Found one in mud:

And? The car wasn’t dug in at any point, and the mud was a fairly thin layer. All you’ve shown me is a Tesla driving on an ever so slightly slippery dirt road. Not an EV going off road.

Nor is snow driving the same as mud. Snow compacts under the tire and gives it something more solid to grab on to.

20 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Does not mean it's "useless" or "stupid"

Didn’t say either of those things, don’t put words in my mouth.

20 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

gonna get stuck in the mud"

Every vehicle will get stuck. ICE off roaders are very likely better at getting unstuck.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

10 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

EV motors should last longer and be more reliable. That's the only reason Tesla is still able to sell cars. Issue is that Pure EVs have operation windows like cellphones.

What do you mean by "operation windows by cellphone"?

It's the nature of being Battery/Electric system. And if it's been 18% in 8 years (so about 2% per annum), then the lithium-ion tech is at the end of its useful expansion. If it needs 300%, it's never getting there.

See my edit,  I miss quoted the figure is not 18% over 8 years it is an average of 18% every year for 8 years (one year improved by 35% alone) and still going down.  And that is before we consider any other new developments in battery tech.   The most expensive part of lithium batteries is the lithium, not the manufacturing.    There is no reason to assume it will never get there, if we look at history there is more reason to assume we will not only get there but likely find alternatives at the same time.
 People said there was no way you could shrink transistors beyond basic ttl chips now look how small they can be made.  Never say never when it comes to technology.  

At least as Lithium-Ion. Much like Fusion Power, you never know exactly what could come out if someone really figures something out. (Also, Lithium-Ion tech will get progressively more expensive to see improvements. Nature of the R&D Beast.)

"Plug-in Hybrids" never took off because mostly of terrible marketing and the fact most of this stuff spun during the "We're all going bankrupt!" era. Not a lot of long-term planning going on. GM never made the type of car where their Series Hybrid tech would have really worked in the early generations. They needed a new sub-marque within Cadillac and they needed to roll out 100k-130k USD luxury car with the tech. They're slowly starting to offer the proper type of vehicles with the tech, but it's going to be a while.  Tesla at least got that you needed the "Party Mode" setting to really turn the 0-60 time up, even if you're going to burn through a set of the normal tires in about 20 minutes using them.

It's just one of those products that is gaining traction slowly,  They are still being developed and made and we are starting to see a lot more on the roads. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

What do you mean by "operation windows by cellphone"?

My assumption is that he means the way people use an EV vs an ICE - eg: fueling up once a week or two at some third party location ("gas station") before returning the vehicle home.

This is in large part why a lot of people have range anxiety. They don't understand the paradigm shift involved with an EV - they're worried about charging stations and infrastructure, when most of them won't need them. Your home is your infrastructure. You top up every night, and during the day, you maybe use 10-30% of the charge. So you're hardly ever charging from empty to full - instead, you're charging maybe 15-20% each night.

A lot of people find it hard to understand that with an EV, every morning you have a "full tank", so to speak. And because they don't understand that, they keep thinking of it in terms of "Oh, I've used this EV for a week now and my battery is low, so I'll have to go to a station to charge up".

And sure, there may be people like that - especially those who don't have a location where they can install a charger. But those aren't going to be the primary buyers an EV for a while anyway.

With the current technology and infrastructure, no, an EV isn't for everyone. But a hell of a lot of people could switch to one with zero drawbacks. Far fewer people drive long distances regularly than is made out to be.

Same with truck drivers. Far fewer truck owners actually use their truck like a Farmer does. Most of them are just regular people who wanted a big ass truck because 'Murica and they could get one. Most truck owners aren't towing 5th wheels or going to construction sites or hauling cattle or even using a toolbox (which they wouldn't need anyway, with the Cybertruck, as it has built-in tool storage).

Personally I think there are only really two valid (semi valid) criticisms of the Cybertruck:

1. Sidewalls on the bed are too high - fair enough.

2. Looks - which is only semi valid because looks are subjective. And frankly, solving problem #1 would also go a long way to solving problem #2 (see the Tweet I quoted above, which just photoshopped the sidewalls to have a normal slope - it looks fucking awesome like that).

For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose Gold: Sold

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

This is in large part why a lot of people have range anxiety. They don't understand the paradigm shift involved with an EV

yes, its very very hard to change habits of people. thats why they love their large, heavy, gas gusseting vehicles. at any moment they can decide to go on a 1000 mile trip and not have to worry about gas, to a large extent. thats why too, people have been stranded in remote areas because they rely on their gps instead of common sense.

@dalekphalmWhen people say that infrastructure can't support mass EV use, they mean that the electric grid isn't being fed enough energy to charge that many EVs. If you charge every night, and just about everyone else does too, a huge amount of power is being drawn.

Whereas only refilling when needed helps alleviate that issue (and other fuel sources circumvent entirely).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

yes, its very very hard to change habits of people. thats why they love their large, heavy, gas gusseting vehicles. at any moment they can decide to go on a 1000 mile trip and not have to worry about gas, to a large extent. thats why too, people have been stranded in remote areas because they rely on their gps instead of common sense.

Indeed - and even in the case of people who, say, once a year travel to the other side of the country to visit family on holiday, an EV can still be their daily driver. With the fuel savings alone over a year, all they need to do is rent a car during that once-a-year road trip (or, just plan ahead and use the existing charging network, which is only getting better every year).

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

@dalekphalmWhen people say that infrastructure can't support mass EV use, they mean that the electric grid isn't being fed enough energy to charge that many EVs. If you charge every night, and just about everyone else does too, a huge amount of power is being drawn.

Whereas only refilling when needed helps alleviate that issue (and other fuel sources circumvent entirely).

Overnight is typically when demand is at the lowest - hence why any place that does time-of-use billing will give you the cheapest rates overnight. That alone will go a long way to help alleviate any grid issues.

But besides that, any Grid worth it's salt is already investing in long term strategies to allow expanded grid load for EV's. And we're talking a small percentage of EV owners being added every year.

Yes that will accelerate over time, but electrical utilities have decades to get to where they need to be. No one is expecting all ICE owners to just buy an EV overnight. It'll be a slow (but increasingly faster over time) transition.

It might be a problem for some grids, especially ones that are already in shambles and in dire need of an upgrade. But plenty of grids are already planning for the switch to EV's.

Spoiler

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If that was a problem you would have black outs during the day very frequently.  Off peak loads are so small power companies almost half their tariffs to encourage people to use more to help load balance the system. 

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

Here's a good thorough honest review comparing it to the real-world:

Main Rig: cpu: Intel 6600k OC @ 4.5Ghz; gpu: Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram: 16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V; psu: EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB WD Black; case: Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p audio: Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

41 minutes ago, mr moose said:

If that was a problem you would have black outs during the day very frequently.  Off peak loads are so small power companies almost half their tariffs to encourage people to use more to help load balance the system. 

Agreed.

Let's take Ontario as an example, a place that has fairly high rates.

On-peak rates: 7 AM to 11 AM and 5 PM to 7 PM - 20.8c per kWh

Off-peak rates: 7 PM to 7 AM (plus all day weekends and holidays) - 10.1c per kWh

So it's actually less than half the price to charge an EV overnight than it is during the day.

I can even check almost live power consumption data province wide through the IESO website, and you can see the massive drop every day. The peak for last Friday was a little over 18 MW 18,000 MW of power used in Ontario. The low-point for Friday night (technically Saturday morning) was around 13 MW 13,000.

That's a (see edit, much more) massive 5 MW 5,000 MW difference during overnight. If we assume you're charging with a Level 2 charger, at home, using a standard 240V 30A circuit ("dryer" outlet) - it can peak at 7200 W (7.2 KW).

That means an additional 700 700,000 EV's can be added to the grid right this moment and charge overnight without affecting peak grid usage.

Massive edit: Oh shit, my grid numbers were too low by 1000

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, EarthWormJM2 said:

Here's a good thorough honest review comparing it to the real-world:

I love watching Doug DeMuro, so I'll definitely have to watch that video.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Agreed.

Let's take Ontario as an example, a place that has fairly high rates.

On-peak rates: 7 AM to 11 AM and 5 PM to 7 PM - 20.8c per kWh

Off-peak rates: 7 PM to 7 AM (plus all day weekends and holidays) - 10.1c per kWh

So it's actually less than half the price to charge an EV overnight than it is during the day.

I can even check almost live power consumption data province wide through the IESO website, and you can see the massive drop every day. The peak for last Friday was a little over 18 MW of power used in Ontario. The low-point for Friday night (technically Saturday morning) was around 13 MW.

That's a massive 5 MW difference during overnight. If we assume you're charging with a Level 2 charger, at home, using a standard 240V 30A circuit ("dryer" outlet) - it can peak at 7200 W (7.2 KW).

That means an additional 700 EV's can be added to the grid right this moment and charge overnight without affecting peak grid usage.

And when domestic use of fuel drops the refineries will reduce capacity freeing up power.  So yes I can see them needing to upgrade the infrastructure for everyone to be doing it, but they aren't going to have to do much upgrading for that.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Re: wrong on everything:

perhaps in your area. ¬†I know a great deal about how the electrical in my house works. ¬†I assure you that where I live that is exactly how it is done. ¬†I can provide pictures and meter readings if necessary. ¬†Now in YOUR area it may be different. ¬†My neighborhood is exceptionally primitive. ¬†I was providing myself as a low end scenario. ¬†1932 technology. ¬†It may be much better elsewhere. ¬†The point I was trying to make and apparently failed at was that even though my house uses tech from near 100 years ago I can still do phase 2 charging. ¬†This ‚Äúonly a few places can charge electric vehicles‚ÄĚ thing is demonstrably bogus.

I worked 32 years for a major AZ electric (and irrigation) utility so I think I know something about electric transmission and distribution. What I wrote will apply to the vast majority of the U.S. unless your service provider is in some really primitive, backwater location miles from civilization. Unless you aren't in the U.S., I can pretty much guarantee you do not have a 2 phase service unless your service area doesn't comply with the NEC (and probably not even then). Even as primitive as the power utilities are in CA, they aren't as primitive as you are describing.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

12 minutes ago, mr moose said:

And when domestic use of fuel drops the refineries will reduce capacity freeing up power.  So yes I can see them needing to upgrade the infrastructure for everyone to be doing it, but they aren't going to have to do much upgrading for that.

Indeed - industrial/commercial usage makes up the vast majority of grid usage.

Also, see my edit - my Grid Capacity numbers for Ontario were off by an order of magnitude (5,000 MW of spare capacity overnight instead of 5 MW) - so that means with the existing peak vs dip gap in Ontario, you could charge around 700,000 EV's during that dip without affecting total grid capacity.

And that's aside from the fact that Ontario's installed grid capacity actually far exceed's our current usage (around 19 or 20,000 MW at peak, worst case) - the current installed grid capacity is: 37 MW - so Ontario actually has room to nearly double it's grid usage before running into grid problems.

Now - granted, Ontario isn't some backwater US state (no offense...) with a grid that hasn't been upgraded in 50 years. When the previous government took control, they spent billions in the early 2000's upgrading the grid (Anyone remember the famous North East blackout of 2003?) to modern standards with spare capacity to ensure that nothing like that blackout could ever happen in - or affect - Ontario again.

Now, with that in mind, 10,000 MW of that capacity is Natural Gas and Oil (mostly the former) - which is used as a grid peak load balance. Most of our baseload is Nuclear (13,000 MW) - but as anyone who knows about Nuclear can attest, they suck at grid load balancing.

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Drak3 said:

@EarthWormJM2 Are you going to keep rehashing early parts of arguments?

I need to know so I can expect a higher number of nothingburger notifications.

Sorry I am catching up from the weekend and this is a long thread, it is Monday after all...

...Gotta love rude millennials.

What Doug DeMuro is missing here is the cost of ownership for light duty and especially heavy duty trucks over their lifetimes. 

Diesel engines cost a lot to maintain, traditional engine vehicle drivetrains too. i wonder how that all adds up?