Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rcmaehl

馃槼 Tesla Truck Kinda Edgy Tho - Tesla releases oddly polygonal pickup truck

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

A lot of that is only a problem if the cost of parts (computers, battery banks, etc) don't fall in price or aren't scaling in cost/longevity as ICE parts do.聽聽

EDIT: with regard to solar, it works fine with batteries for small consumption use like homes (my FiL is completely off grid with electric hybrid car and small workshop), it doesn't work for base load because industry is the main consumer of power dwarfing the domestic market dramatically.

Electric cars are here to stay and will replace ICE,聽 the thing we don't know is will they be charged from the mains at home or will an alternative form of power generation be developed.聽 Either way, when they become the mainstream, house rentals and apartments will have services in place to support it just like rentals all have dishwashers now, when appliances (car chargers being one of them) become so common they will either already be in the house when landlords buy them or they will be installed to maintain the rentability/asking rent.聽

Most of the cost is always going to be the physical processing aspects. That is, all of that weight in high-spec manufactured batteries is always going to be a lot more expensive than rolled & pressed steel. And, the one utility with modern engineering in IC engines is things tend to wear in such a way that catastrophic failure is pretty rare after the initial break in perod. Pure EVs will just never have that aspect. Like I said, expensive iPhones. When they hit the end of their service life, they hit it hard. (Also of note, Tesla could very easily firmware brick their cars by accident.)

I'm glad the Solar Power issue has been generally settled, beyond the billions in taxpayer money wasted on overbuilding in the wrong areas. I generally don't take most "Tech Advocates" seriously after Solar in the 2000s. It's very clear they're willing shills rather than people interested in expanding useful technology to the places it would help. They somehow took a proven, useful technology and turned it into near Snake Oil.聽 Solar is about local, spot generation and backup/safety margins. Anyone living between the 35th parallels should really consider it on their homes, especially now as the capital costs are getting pretty decent. (Frankly, buy a Tesla PowerWall + Solar Panels over Tesla car.)

Electric Drive will eventually be the majority of the market. Pure EV will always be somewhere between niche and a small segment. If GM would stop being stupid, we'd already be seeing a lot more of the real hybrids. Though I have to give it to @LinusTech聽for putting his money where his techiness is, as he bought the right type of EV: the Chevy Volt. It's a car, it works, it just happens to be a plug-in hybrid. Though it looks like we'll have to wait a few years before everyone comes back to where this is going, since there's basically the Prius Market that went to the Tesla Market and nothing in-between. People have voted with their wallets for the time being.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Nothing is "practically" maintenance聽free, and high low end torque isn't always a good thing. This thing will likely have issues with soft ground, namely mud and sand.聽

They don't have to do it every day, but going hundreds of miles, back and forth, isn't uncommon.

Meanwhile, it usually takes me 20 minutes every week for my truck, and I don't need to leave something plugged in that eats up 12A 聽by itself.

YT is going to be full of Cybertruck fail videos after the Urban buyers suddenly think they know how to offroad. That'll be some high humor when it happens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Taf the Ghost said:

YT is going to be full of Cybertruck fail videos after the Urban buyers suddenly think they know how to offroad. That'll be some high humor when it happens.

Assuming that there are that many legitimate preorders.

Or that Tesla doesn't sink before they start production.

Or that any of us live that long.


Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drak3 said:

Assuming that there are that many legitimate preorders.

Or that Tesla doesn't sink before they start production.

Or that any of us live that long.

I think they'll clear between 50k and 60k of the initial deposited orders, but, with the way this model is, I kind of doubt it has much market. It feels a lot like those limited run Super Cars that'll sit stored in garages to get looked at. For that, it's really the successor to the Lamborghini Countach.

And, while it wouldn't have been cool, a local haul box truck from Tesla would probably clear 30-40k units per year going forward. Have a good combo deal for charge points and the ability to do 250+ miles on a charge while carrying 1 ton, and you find the space where a pure EV really can be king.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, amdorintel said:

but you do for other things

wi atched a little of rich rebuilds, tesla videos. tesla doesnt want the consumer to work on their own vehicles, which is valid to some degree.

Any software related issues and crazy mechanisms, which the cybertruck doesn't have unlike Model X and S (it's pretty much an angular steel shell with tires, motor and battery),聽 you'll need Tesla. But basic stuff like tires, brakes, suspension, etc, you can do it yourself while completely eliminating anything to do with engine issues, gears, oil changes, etc

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Most of the cost is always going to be the physical processing aspects. That is, all of that weight in high-spec manufactured batteries is always going to be a lot more expensive than rolled & pressed steel. And, the one utility with modern engineering in IC engines is things tend to wear in such a way that catastrophic failure is pretty rare after the initial break in perod. Pure EVs will just never have that aspect. Like I said, expensive iPhones. When they hit the end of their service life, they hit it hard. (Also of note, Tesla could very easily firmware brick their cars by accident.)

Batteries only need to drop by a factor of 3 to be on par with oil for energy cost (and batteries aren't the only factor to consider in an EV).聽 That is easily an obtainable goal.聽 Product manufacturing isn't quite as you claim it is with current batteries improving by about 18% in $/Kwh over the last 8 years.聽 And the trend is only going further down.聽 It is very real that with reduced moving parts, tighter tolerances and better manufacturing that crucial electric vehicle parts will become cheaper to make than the numerous conventional ICE parts required for any given life time of use.聽 Electric motors can be rebuilt a lot cheaper than ICE and each motor if built right and used properly will last decades.聽

EDIT: that should read that batteries are going down in cost/Kwh by 18% on average every year for the last 8 years, not 18% over 8 years.

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/electric_vehicle_ev

https://about.bnef.com/blog/behind-scenes-take-lithium-ion-battery-prices/

https://getelectricvehicle.com/electric-car-motor-life-expectancy-how-long-an-ev-motor-last/

Quote

I'm glad the Solar Power issue has been generally settled, beyond the billions in taxpayer money wasted on overbuilding in the wrong areas. I generally don't take most "Tech Advocates" seriously after Solar in the 2000s. It's very clear they're willing shills rather than people interested in expanding useful technology to the places it would help. They somehow took a proven, useful technology and turned it into near Snake Oil.聽 Solar is about local, spot generation and backup/safety margins. Anyone living between the 35th parallels should really consider it on their homes, especially now as the capital costs are getting pretty decent. (Frankly, buy a Tesla PowerWall + Solar Panels over Tesla car.)

Install a solar and battery system (with gen backup) and get a hybrid,聽 with an average $50 a quarter petrol bill and no power bills ever.

Quote

Electric Drive will eventually be the majority of the market. Pure EV will always be somewhere between niche and a small segment. If GM would stop being stupid, we'd already be seeing a lot more of the real hybrids. Though I have to give it to @LinusTech聽for putting his money where his techiness is, as he bought the right type of EV: the Chevy Volt. It's a car, it works, it just happens to be a plug-in hybrid. Though it looks like we'll have to wait a few years before everyone comes back to where this is going, since there's basically the Prius Market that went to the Tesla Market and nothing in-between. People have voted with their wallets for the time being.

My FiL's missus has the Mitsubishi hybrid, I have to say I am very impressed with it's actual fuel economy.聽 They plug it in every day (off grid so no off peak) and the savings just do my head in.聽聽聽 I really think Pure EV's with only batteries will be the future unless they find a way to generate electricity without using conventional fuels.


QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.聽 Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't. 聽聽 Please don't be a dick,聽 make allowances when reading my posts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Batteries only need to drop by a factor of 3 to be on par with oil for energy cost (and batteries aren't the only factor to consider in an EV).聽 That is easily an obtainable goal.聽 Product manufacturing isn't quite as you claim it is with current batteries improving by about 18% in $/Kwh over the last 8 years.聽 And the trend is only going further down.聽 It is very real that with reduced moving parts, tighter tolerances and better manufacturing that crucial electric vehicle parts will become cheaper to make than the numerous conventional ICE parts required for any given life time of use.聽 Electric motors can be rebuilt a lot cheaper than ICE and each motor if built right and used properly will last decades.聽

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/electric_vehicle_ev

https://about.bnef.com/blog/behind-scenes-take-lithium-ion-battery-prices/

https://getelectricvehicle.com/electric-car-motor-life-expectancy-how-long-an-ev-motor-last/

Install a solar and battery system (with gen backup) and get a hybrid,聽 with an average $50 a quarter petrol bill and no power bills ever.

My FiL's missus has the Mitsubishi hybrid, I have to say I am very impressed with it's actual fuel economy.聽 They plug it in every day (off grid so no off peak) and the savings just do my head in.聽聽聽 I really think Pure EV's with only batteries will be the future unless they find a way to generate electricity without using conventional fuels.

EV motors should last longer and be more reliable. That's the only reason Tesla is still able to sell cars. Issue is that Pure EVs have operation windows like cellphones. It's the nature of being Battery/Electric system. And if it's been 18% in 8 years (so about 2% per annum), then the lithium-ion tech is at the end of its useful expansion. If it needs 300%, it's never getting there. At least as Lithium-Ion. Much like Fusion Power, you never know exactly what could come out if someone really figures something out. (Also, Lithium-Ion tech will get progressively more expensive to see improvements. Nature of the R&D Beast.)

"Plug-in Hybrids" never took off because mostly of terrible marketing and the fact most of this stuff spun during the "We're all going bankrupt!" era. Not a lot of long-term planning going on. GM never made the type of car where their Series Hybrid tech would have really worked in the early generations.聽They needed a new sub-marque within Cadillac and they needed to roll out 100k-130k USD luxury car with the tech. They're slowly starting to offer the proper type of vehicles with the tech, but it's going to be a while.聽 Tesla at least got that you needed the "Party Mode" setting to really turn the 0-60 time up, even if you're going to burn through a set of the normal tires in about 20 minutes using them.

The power of internal generation of power is quite straight forward, but the real power of a production-level series hybrid is that you can put whatever generation unit is useful on it. You can run out Pure EV, Gas, Diesel, Hydrogen or something even more novel. Doesn't matter, you're already prepared for it. That's what GM has botched up royally.聽

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Most of the cost is always going to be the physical processing aspects. That is, all of that weight in high-spec manufactured batteries is always going to be a lot more expensive than rolled & pressed steel.



that鈥檚 not how engines are made. Theyre not stamped tin toys as you seem to imply.聽There are lots of different processes for the thousands of parts in a gas engine, but they are mostly cast. 聽There is a lot of machining as well. 聽A battery pack does currently cost slightly more than an engine and gas tank. 聽The money is generally made back again by lowered fuel costs



And, the one utility with modern engineering in IC engines is things tend to wear in such a way that catastrophic failure is pretty rare after the initial break in perod. Pure EVs will just never have that aspect.
you seem to be making some significant claims about how physics works. 聽The information I have says that a physical engine wears faster, generally and such catastrophic failure at the end of the engines life will come much more quickly
聽Like I said, expensive iPhones.
said where?
When they hit the end of their service life, they hit it hard. (Also of note, Tesla could very easily firmware brick their cars by accident.)
also on purpose, before the batteries reach the end of their lives. Can鈥檛 do that with a gas engine.聽




I'm glad the Solar Power issue has been generally settled, beyond the billions in taxpayer money wasted on overbuilding in the wrong areas. I generally don't take most "Tech Advocates" seriously after Solar in the 2000s.
that much is clear. 聽If you took them seriously at all your position might very well be different


It's very clear they're willing shills rather than people interested in expanding useful technology to the places it would help.
more unsupported accusations of intent of others. Is this still about solar in the 2000鈥檚?

They somehow took a proven, useful technology and turned it into near Snake Oil.

that seems to me to be what you are attempting聽actually



Solar is about local, spot generation and backup/safety margins.

...because high tension power lines don鈥檛 exist? 聽I don鈥檛 think it works this way. You already said you think electric cars and solar power are snake oil though, so I suppose for your concept to work they can鈥檛.



Anyone living between the 35th parallels should really consider it on their homes, especially now as the capital costs are getting pretty decent. (Frankly, buy a Tesla PowerWall + Solar Panels over Tesla car.)

because solar only works between the 鈥35th parallels鈥. An area including less than a quarter of the United States and none of Europe. I don鈥檛 think the sun works like that. 聽There ARE types of solar that work better in those regions. 聽Specifically solar furnace boilers. 聽It鈥檚 mostly to do with sun angle. 聽Doesn鈥檛 apply to panels though.



Electric Drive will eventually be the majority of the market. Pure EV will always be somewhere between niche and a small segment.

the ability to accurately predict the future is impressive. 聽It鈥檚 not impossible that might happen. 聽Not sure how it applies to any of this



If GM would stop being stupid, we'd already be seeing a lot more of the real hybrids. Though I have to give it to @LinusTech聽for putting his money where his techiness is, as he bought the right type of EV: the Chevy Volt. It's a car, it works, it just happens to be a plug-in hybrid. Though it looks like we'll have to wait a few years before everyone comes back to where this is going, since there's basically the Prius Market that went to the Tesla Market and nothing in-between. People have voted with their wallets for the time being.

ah. That鈥檚 how it applies. You first say EVs can鈥檛 work then you say they can by redefining what an EV is ever so slightly. I.e carry an almost unused mechanical engine around with them all the time. 聽A volt was a plug in hybrid. 聽It spent most of its time as a pure electric vehicle. 聽Many owners only ever ran their engines to maintain working order. 聽They were rarely if ever used.

Was. 聽Chevy quit making the volt. 聽They still make the bolt, which is full electric though.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Nothing is "practically" maintenance聽free, and high low end torque isn't always a good thing.

That's correct. But electric motors come pretty close to the definition. We have an old mid 70s ceiling fan in the house and it's been running strong since the past 50 years, believe it or not.聽I'm a 30 YO man and it required maintenance only twice in my lifetime. Both times it was a blown capacitor, which was a聽cheap fix.聽

According to Jay Leno, the Baker Electric Car is the only car in his garage that's been "100% maintenance free":

And it should be beyond any doubt聽that Jay Leno know about cars more than anyone in this forum!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

high low end torque isn't always a good thing. This thing will likely have issues with soft ground, namely mud and sand.

cant you just not "pedal to the metal"? having it on tap doesnt mean you will neccesarly use it. does mean you need to be better with throttle control

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

cant you just not "pedal to the metal"? having it on tap doesnt mean you will neccesarly use it. does mean you need to be better with throttle control

Even better, do they realise all this is tuned in the computer? Same as in the computer in their ICE car.

Like, arguing "electric" cars are useless, is like saying a boat is stupid because it cannot fly, or an aircraft stupid because it cannot go through the subway tunnels. 馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

cant you just not "pedal to the metal"? having it on tap doesnt mean you will neccesarly use it. does mean you need to be better with throttle control

The聽problem is low end torque. Electric motors have more torque with the less RPM you have, meaning it'll insanely easy to overtorque on sand and mud, turning your wheels into excavators.

2 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Even better, do they realise all this is tuned in the computer? Same as in the computer in their ICE car.

Can't tune out the torque curve inherent to electric motors.


Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The聽problem is low end torque. Electric motors have more torque with the less RPM you have, meaning it'll insanely easy to overtorque on sand and mud, turning your wheels into excavators.

hence throttle control.聽

not to mention all of this can be adjusted in software. having something doesnt mean its allways on.聽

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GoldenLag said:

hence throttle control.聽

not to mention all of this can be adjusted in software. having something doesnt mean its allways on.聽

Throttle control isn't going to fix the issue. You have a heavy vehicle forcing your wheels down, while your electric motor is going to send the maximum or near the maximum amount of torque, on ground that will easily give to outside influence. A heavy truck, with high torque (not horsepower) is going to be more prone to digging up earth.

And trying to tune for this would require a massive hit to early acceleration, significant cut in current to the motor(s) (which could easily run into start up voltage issues), and probably changing the drive line to one that eats that torque.

To rely only on software is a halfassed solution. And given that we're dealing with Tesla, we'll get a quarter assed solution and be told that it's two whole asses.


Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

hence throttle control.聽

not to mention all of this can be adjusted in software. having something doesnt mean its allways on.聽

Not sure what would be controlled, other than making the wheels spin faster to get past peak torque which usually doesn't help on dirt or sand either.

3 hours ago, TechyBen said:

Even better, do they realise all this is tuned in the computer? Same as in the computer in their ICE car.

Like, arguing "electric" cars are useless, is like saying a boat is stupid because it cannot fly, or an aircraft stupid because it cannot go through the subway tunnels. 馃う鈥嶁檪锔

Pointing out the practicality of real world use isn't saying electric cars are useless, people insisting "oh just get a solar or wind generator, you'll never need to go further than 400km either" are ignoring the whole point of having a truck to get work done.聽

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

people insisting "oh just get a solar or wind generator, you'll never need to go further than 400km either" are ignoring the whole point of having a truck to get work done.聽

They're also ignoring that more range also equals needing to refuel less often, even if it takes a tad longer per refuel.


Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

To rely only on software is a halfassed solution

It would be one of the few solutions.聽

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

And trying to tune for this would require a massive hit to early acceleration,

That depends on how the software is done.聽

15 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

sure what would be controlled, other than making the wheels spin faster to get past peak torque which usually doesn't help on dirt or sand either.

I would involve managing how much torque you get on standstill.聽

Which would need to be configured in software.聽

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

It would be one of the few solutions.聽

That depends on how the software is done.聽

I would involve managing how much torque you get on standstill.聽

Which would need to be configured in software.聽

The only way to limit torque on an electric motor in software is to limit current (and heavily if you want to reliably get out of burying your vehicle), which may not be viable if the motors' startup voltage pushes too much torque.


Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The only way to limit torque on an electric motor in software is to limit current (and heavily if you want to reliably get out of burying your vehicle), which may not be viable if the motors' startup voltage pushes too much torque.

In other words.聽

If they manage to do it, there will be a lot of strain on the mechanism that will control it.聽

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

In other words.聽

If they manage to do it, there will be a lot of strain on the mechanism that will control it.聽

Basically.

Whereas the 6.7 Cummins in my truck can get out of mud with just idle torque 9 times out of 10. That other time requires, maybe, an additional 200-300RPM.

Many other trucks can manage this as well.


Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The only way to limit torque on an electric motor in software is to limit current (and heavily if you want to reliably get out of burying your vehicle), which may not be viable if the motors' startup voltage pushes too much torque.

Do you have any evidence of this issue in real life?聽Because I've seen Model X going on a desert safari with ease. That would be a scenario where your claim of 'too much torque' come into play.

33 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Not sure what would be controlled, other than making the wheels spin faster to get past peak torque which usually doesn't help on dirt or sand either.

Pointing out the practicality of real world use isn't saying electric cars are useless, people insisting "oh just get a solar or wind generator, you'll never need to go further than 400km either" are ignoring the whole point of having a truck to get work done.聽

Let's go through argue with yourself journey here

Please tell me, the number of people travelling 400km everyday? And, what would be the solution for that? Oh right, you could get the 300 or 500 mile version. Or are going to tell me there are people who travel 500 miles everyday? Hmm, then even ICE engines would obviously need refueling and the driver would also need to take rests, have bathroom breaks and meal breaks. Too bad, there aren't any superchargers with restaurants or bathrooms on the way. Sad.

Solar and wind generations is an option.聽You can completely untethere聽yourself from with an EV if you have those power sources, unlike gas cars where you'll always need to goto fuel pumps (unless of course, you mine your own petroleum, refine it to diesel and use it)

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Throttle control isn't going to fix the issue. You have a heavy vehicle forcing your wheels down, while your electric motor is going to send the maximum or near the maximum amount of torque, on ground that will easily give to outside influence. A heavy truck, with high torque (not horsepower) is going to be more prone to digging up earth.

And trying to tune for this would require a massive hit to early acceleration, significant cut in current to the motor(s) (which could easily run into start up voltage issues), and probably changing the drive line to one that eats that torque.

To rely only on software is a halfassed solution. And given that we're dealing with Tesla, we'll get a quarter assed solution and be told that it's two whole asses.

You do know the biggest trucks in the world sometimes have electric motors? What are you even going on about here?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

You do know the biggest trucks in the world sometimes have electric motors? What are you even going on about here?

If you鈥檙e taking construction, like large dump trucks, they also have better weight distribution on the ground, as well as being heavy enough to compact the ground underthem AND have off road wheels designed for them.

Now that we鈥檙e done with the game of false equivalences, pickups, what the Tesla is, sometimes get stuck. What the ones good at getting unstuck have is moderate low end torque. Enough to move the truck, but not enough to consistently spin the wheels and send mud flying.


Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedRound2 said:

Please tell me, the number of people travelling 400km everyday? And, what would be the solution for that? Oh right, you could get the 300 or 500 mile version. Or are going to tell me there are people who travel 500 miles everyday? Hmm, then even ICE engines would obviously need refueling and the driver would also need to take rests, have bathroom breaks and meal breaks. Too bad, there aren't any superchargers with restaurants or bathrooms on the way. Sad.

Solar and wind generations is an option.聽You can completely untethere聽yourself from with an EV if you have those power sources, unlike gas cars where you'll always need to goto fuel pumps (unless of course, you mine your own petroleum, refine it to diesel and use it)

Please, no need to be so smug about making generalizations with how you think everyone uses their vehicle.

There are plenty of modern gas/diesel trucks that get 300-400 miles of range on a single tank. The Ford Ranger goes up to around 400 miles on a tank,a Ram 1500 crew cab with the 5.7L can go over 500 miles on a single tank.

And yes I've had to travel 500 miles in a day, stopping for 10 minutes to have lunch is fine but not everyone wants to or can wait an hour for the car to charge. And while not everyone has to having the option of being able to get in the car and just travel without worrying about having to stop and let the batteries charge for hours is nice to have, also not everyone lives in California where you can just go down the street to a fast charging station or find a charger more than every 50 miles.

Solar and wind? Yeah just pay up extra for a Tesla solar unit, or have a wind generator installed sure because everyone can afford that. With a gas car, you spend 5-10 minutes filling it up and you can take a fuel can with you if needed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 11:38 AM, Drak3 said:

The thing doesn鈥檛 rethink the basics, it is basic. The overall design is very much in line with cars like the DMC-12 and聽Lotus Espirit S2. The silhouette resembles a Lamborgini Huracan that鈥檚 been lifted with a small, flat side skirt added

So if I squint when looking at it with blinding lights behind it it聽may聽look like a supercar... cool. First off, this is supposed to be a truck. Not a car. Second off, those cars were designed using a 'wedge-shape' for aerodynamics and handling as well as being聽sculpted to look good. Not using an actual wedge for the design.

Granted it is clearly not the final design (I聽mean it is missing a TON of stuff to make it road legal), but no one who needs a truck to do truck stuff is going to buy this, and people that want a truck, want it because of how it looks.聽A handful of tech enthusiasts and car reviewers will be the main customer. And that is nowhere near the # of customers with the needs or wants of聽a 'real' truck.


Main Rig: cpu:聽Intel 6600k OC @聽4.5Ghz; gpu:聽Gigabyte Gaming OC RTX 2080 (OC'd); mb:聽Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3; ram:聽16 GB (2x8GB) 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V;聽psu:聽EVGA 650BQ; storage: 500GB Samsung 850 evo,聽2TB聽WD Black;聽case:聽Cooler Master HAF 912; cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Lots of fans, Air!; display: 4k Samsung 42" TV, Asus MX259H 1080p聽audio:聽Schiit Audio Magni Amp w/ Audio Technica M50x

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.