Bought New Modem, Internet Still doesn't Work

ARANDOMKIDONTHEINTERNET

Alright,

A few days ago when I got home my internet stopped working, so, I did the standard reseting your router. No luck. So I trying to unplug and plug back in everything. Still nothing. So I called my ISP stating my issue and I got in contact with tech support.

After a bit of troubleshooting, we figured out that he could ping my modem, but if I directly bypassed my router by plugging my pc into the modem. I bought a new modem and waited a few days for it to arrive. Yesterday it came in the mail, so I installed it and called my isp to help activate it. After that was done he asked me to see if it worked, it didn't. So he to me to call Netgear (the manufacturer of the modem). She told me that the modem was plug and play and didn't need any configuration besides that of my ISP.  After that I just gave up and went to bed.

Has anyone here had a similar problem or have any idea how to fix it?

Thanks.

So your modem worked fine yet you replaced it?
Sounds like the ISP screwed you out of some money and you just needed a new router...

Or I am missing something.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

Sounds like the modem may never have been the problem, it might have been the WiFi signal.  The wifi bands are getting real crowded.  Maybe a neighbor bought WiFi too and drowned out your signal?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

41 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Sounds like the modem may never have been the problem, it might have been the WiFi signal.  The wifi bands are getting real crowded.  Maybe a neighbor bought WiFi too and drowned out your signal?

It shouldn't be, even the things connected by ethernet aren't working.

53 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

So your modem worked fine yet you replaced it?
Sounds like the ISP screwed you out of some money and you just needed a new router...

Or I am missing something.

Router is old (2013), but even when I bypass my router and plug my pc directly into the modem it still doesn't work.

A few questions about when you have a PC directly connected.

• Does it get an IP address, if so, is it a local-link 169 address, a privet address like 192, 172, or 10, or an internet address?
  • Does the PC's network link light come on?
  • Does the modem's Ethernet light come on (the button LED on a NetGear modem)

Yes.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, ARANDOMKIDONTHEINTERNET said:

It shouldn't be, even the things connected by ethernet aren't working.

Ok that’s different.  It’s not no WiFi it’s no net connection at all.  And the phone company can ping your modem which means the connection from the company to the modem is good.  That leaves the modem ( which got replaced) and the computer itself.  I’m betting network settings.

2 hours ago, sphbecker said:

A few questions about when you have a PC directly connected.

• Does it get an IP address, if so, is it a local-link 169 address, a privet address like 192, 172, or 10, or an internet address?
  • Does the PC's network link light come on?
  • Does the modem's Ethernet light come on (the button LED on a NetGear modem)

I don't know about the internet address.

The light comes on.

That light also comes on.

56 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Ok that’s different.  It’s not no WiFi it’s no net connection at all.  And the phone company can ping your modem which means the connection from the company to the modem is good.  That leaves the modem ( which got replaced) and the computer itself.  I’m betting network settings.

Yeah, it's probably the settings, the isp already pinged the modem.

Alright, I tried to plug the modem into a laptop and it works just fine. So, that means my other pc had an issue. So I need to get into the router and fix its settings.

So the question is why aren’t you pinging the modem?  This sounds very much like a windows thing.  I don’t even own win10.  I got 8.1.  I’m of no help.  Need a windows10 dude.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

So the question is why aren’t you pinging the modem?  This sounds very much like a windows thing.  I don’t even own win10.  I got 8.1.  I’m of no help.  Need a windows10 dude.

Both the laptop and desktop run on 10. Could be a settings thing, on the desktop. Regardless atleast I now have a foot hold, to help me.

8 minutes ago, ARANDOMKIDONTHEINTERNET said:

Alright, I tried to plug the modem into a laptop and it works just fine. So, that means my other pc had an issue. So I need to get into the router and fix its settings.

Or you need to get into that particular PC.  Wait.. is there a router between the PC and the modem?  might be router settings but more likely pc settings.  A lowball test would be to try to ping the modem from the PC.  
find the ip address of the modem ( it should be printed on it) and from the PC in a regular old internet browser type “http:// {the number}” if it works its high level windows settings.  If it doesn’t it’s lower down.

you can do it the other way too.  There will be an Ethernet device and a WiFi device in the pc. Each will have its own IP address.  Find out what those are (o don’t know how.  No win10 knowledge) then do the same thing from the laptop.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Or you need to get into that particular PC.  Wait.. is there a router between the PC and the modem?  might be router settings but more likely pc settings.  A lowball test would be to try to ping the modem from the PC.  
find the ip address of the modem ( it should be printed on it) and from the PC in a regular old internet browser type “http:// {the number}” if it works its high level windows settings.  If it doesn’t it’s lower down.

you can do it the other way too.  There will be an Ethernet device and a WiFi device in the pc. Each will have its own IP address.  Find out what those are (o don’t know how.  No win10 knowledge) then do the same thing from the laptop.

Alright, just got the pc working. Just disabled the wifi adapter and the npcap loopback adapter.

1 minute ago, ARANDOMKIDONTHEINTERNET said:

Alright, just got the pc working. Just disabled the wifi adapter and the npcap loopback adapter.

npcap loopback adapter sunk me.  I gotta google that....

Just now, Bombastinator said:

npcap loopback adapter sunk me.  I gotta google that....

Idk what it is I just killed it and now my pc works fine.

On the router the internet light is on solid amber when I connect to it. So it is the router that is bust. I will see if i can fix it through the settings.

routerrsettings.png

52 minutes ago, ARANDOMKIDONTHEINTERNET said:

Idk what it is I just killed it and now my pc works fine.

https://nmap.org/npcap/