New Ethernet Cable, Undeteted. DONE IT ALL

AAAldabel

Recently run a cat 6 cable (60m) from modem to a switch, from the switch ive run a 10m cable, all with fj45 connectors. It connected for an hour then disconnected and is no longer being detected, tested with cable tester and the cables are in full working order but i have no connection. All the colours are matching, even had a technician check it all out and he doesnt know what the issue is. tested out switch and its not faulty he said possibly shorten the cable down ( 2m slack each end) to see if that helps. Unsure as to a method to fix! Lastly  on the modem side the port is no longer lit and all the ports are functional as ive tested them all!

I know you said you used a cable tester, but if it is just a basic pair tester, they don't show all problems. My guess is that one of your terminations is barely making a connection and is passing electrons but not within Ethernet spec. If that is the case, it could come in and out based on temperature, which may explain the short connection you had. I would try re-terminating both ends of the cable and try again.

A few things you could try, to isolate the problem.

• Connect the modem to the switch using a known good cable (move the modem closer so you can use a short cable, for the test it doesn't matter if there is no internet, you are just looking for the link light)
  • Connect a laptop to the cable that was plugged into the modem (testing link between laptop and switch using the 60m cable)
  • Connect a laptop to the cable modem using a known good cable

A few more things to consider.

• If it is a managed switch, don't set port speed settings, that should only be done if you can control both ends (and I assume the modem doesn't have that option)
  • Are you sure the cable is only 60m? That should be fine, but is getting close to the limit. 100 meters is the inner wire limit, but due to tight twists, a 80-85m cable might have over 100 meters of wire inside the jacket.
  • Did you use Cat6 certified RJ45 connectors? Cat6 wires are slightly thicker than Cat5e, so you really need the correct terminators
  • It sounds like you are not using a patch panel or jacks, but if you are, they also need to be Cat6 certified
  • Make sure all wires are pushed all the way into the connector before crimping it, you should see them pressing against the plastic on the other side.

Hey there. 

Before concluding your cable is NOT at fault, back to the basics:

Generally speaking this kind of thing is due to terminations.  I know you have used a "blinky" tester, but it won't tell you anything about speeds.  In fact, it won't tell you much of anything at all beyond whether you have a straight or cross over connection or short.

I see this all the time.  The most likely suspect is UNTWIST.  The maximum is 0.5" per the ANSI/TIA spec.  If you can get it closer, that is even better.  Some RJ45s let you really get the cable jacket far up into the plug and you can actually terminate to near 3/16" untwist which is the "gold standard".  Can you upload pics of both ends of your cable?  If the issue is untwist I will be able to spot it instantly.

Your cable length is fine.  Cat6 supports 1G to 328 feet or 100 meters.  The high quality stuff will support 10G to 110 ft for sure, and possibly even to 165 ft under the right conditions.

As for RJ45s, here is a little secret:  they are all basically the same.  Outside they are identical.  They have to be per ANSI/TIA.  When you are shopping for plugs and see "Cat5e" or "Cat6" stamped on the package it is the manufacturer's best guess of what cable diameter is likely to be used in the plug.  The ability to accept larger insulated conductor diameters and cable jackets are what really separates any one RJ45 from another (other than shielding of course).  So, if someone says "Hey...use a Cat6 RJ45 on that Cat6 cable" and it ends up working it was NOT because it was a "Cat6" plug.  It was because the RJ45 plug happened to be able to accept the diameters of the cable you are using.

One other item...all three prong plugs are good for stranded AND solid copper conductors.  Two prong plugs are best with stranded, as three is really the best with solid copper since the prongs need to get more "bite" during termination.

< content removed >

Hope this helps you!  

Edited by LogicalDrm

So ive tested the switch with a known working cable on a span of a couple meters which ran the same length to another router. It worked fine, It is close to 65m id say, with certified cat 6 rj45 connectors (code AP6045), ive recrimped them, for some reason it worked again for about 10 minutes before once again loosing connection and the light switched off. Im currently using the B method of wiring and both sides correlate. The photos are all attached in the link, https://imgur.com/a/pCKIBGP?fbclid=IwAR2Qk0Oi6Qtjw0ED3OFSmq762nFMLy2x0I3nBREpZ8Gj9EM1MI3jjlzwIXM 

I checked out all the links provided, but based off my knowledge i believe ive done that. Does nicking the cables inside stop connection completely or just cause interference thus slowing down speed?

Hello!  I saw the pictures of the terminations.  On your Netgear switch, the two left side RJ45's appear out of spec.  The maximum untwist from the end of the cable jacket to the end of the golden contacts (near very tip of the RJ45 plug) is 0.5".  The jackets need to be seated higher up into the plug.  The second item is indeed "yes" a nicked conductor will not only cause a poor connection (that is a definite) but may also cause intermittent connection (strong possibility).  I am going to share a detailed picture tutorial I wrote to a customer about RJ45 terminations with U/UTP Cat6 and RJ45 UTP plugs.  This is pretty identical to what you are doing.  Let me know if you have questions.

UTP RJ45 Termination To UTP Cat6 - trueCABLE.pdf

Oh, one more thing about "Certified Cat6 RJ45".  There is no such thing...at least in the context of a unterminated RJ45 plug.  The RJ45 plug, when terminated to a Ethernet cable, can be ANSI/TIA Certified on a Fluke DSX Certifier as a SYSTEM and that particular cable run would then be "Certified" to a certain Category (5e/6/6A/8).  There are very strict requirements about Certified runs...namely that the following must be documented and signed off on:

• Date and time Certification took place
  • Location of the cable run, with ID# of some kind
  • Name of person doing the Certification...AND that person must also be Certified to do it!  For example...I am, and have a Cert# to go with it
  • Sine wave Certification must be used (eg Fluke DSX5000 or 8000)
  • Plot data must be presented
  • All end customer requirements must also be included and added to the test result if above and beyond what is need for the ANSI/TIA Category under Certification
  • The Certifier must be able to store a certain number of test results and be able to print them or save them for print
  • The test result must indicate the Category that the cable/jack/plug combination was Certified to
  • The cable itself must be identified
  • ....and more

The manufacturer cannot make any claims to anything other than safety and Regulatory considerations and that certain cable types have been verified/tested to be physically compatible with the plug.  Due to the number of cables out there, and the fact that the RJ45 plug is not yet terminated while still in the box, the marketing department of that particular company may have taken a bit of creative license... 

The ANTSIG plug code is the product SKU...nothing that relates to performance or Regulatory.

17 hours ago, trueCABLE said:

Oh, one more thing about "Certified Cat6 RJ45".  There is no such thing...at least in the context of a unterminated RJ45 plug.  The RJ45 plug, when terminated to a Ethernet cable, can be ANSI/TIA Certified on a Fluke DSX Certifier as a SYSTEM and that particular cable run would then be "Certified" to a certain Category (5e/6/6A/8).  There are very strict requirements about Certified runs...namely that the following must be documented and signed off on:

• Date and time Certification took place
  • Location of the cable run, with ID# of some kind
  • Name of person doing the Certification...AND that person must also be Certified to do it!  For example...I am, and have a Cert# to go with it
  • Sine wave Certification must be used (eg Fluke DSX5000 or 8000)
  • Plot data must be presented
  • All end customer requirements must also be included and added to the test result if above and beyond what is need for the ANSI/TIA Category under Certification
  • The Certifier must be able to store a certain number of test results and be able to print them or save them for print
  • The test result must indicate the Category that the cable/jack/plug combination was Certified to
  • The cable itself must be identified
  • ....and more

The manufacturer cannot make any claims to anything other than safety and Regulatory considerations and that certain cable types have been verified/tested to be physically compatible with the plug.  Due to the number of cables out there, and the fact that the RJ45 plug is not yet terminated while still in the box, the marketing department of that particular company may have taken a bit of creative license... 

The ANTSIG plug code is the product SKU...nothing that relates to performance or Regulatory.

I appreciate the indepth knowledge and advice! Comes in really helpful with wrapping my head around it all! 

Ill take a look at the guide you attached and try to follow and minimise the untwist!

Ill go and get the same fj45 plugs youve used and follow the guide, much easier to get to eliminate the untwist as much as possible, ill let you know how it goes! thanks for the guide!