Want opinions on planned AMD workstation + gaming

Hi guys, I have spent a good part of the last few months learning about pcs from pretty much the bottom up to build this pc. One thing worth noting is that I really wanted thunderbolt 3 for some audio equipment, I plan on using the two SSDs as a scratch disk with redundancy and all games and programs will be on the big NVME drive. Any opinions on how I could improve my build are very welcome (As I am the one who has to pay for it haha) Thanks.

My build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Ashesonwool/saved/LftvWZ

As much as I love SFF builds, I'm not sure if this is the time and place for it

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

As much as I love SFF builds, I'm not sure if this is the time and place for it

Yeah the thought definitely struck me, but I went that route because the motherboard that best fit my needs happened to be mini-itx. What would you change if I wanted to stick with the same motherboard?

11 minutes ago, AshesAndWool said:

Yeah the thought definitely struck me, but I went that route because the motherboard that best fit my needs happened to be mini-itx. What would you change if I wanted to stick with the same motherboard?

I guess if you had to stick with ITX, nothing much.

I think you're overspending quite a bit on samsung SSD's- but other than that I'd say you're okay

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Do you need redundancy on a scratch disk? If you switch to mATX, or ATX, you can get more m2 and PCIe slots. Surely this will give you better performance than two SATA drives.

27 minutes ago, Hugh54321 said:

Do you need redundancy on a scratch disk? If you switch to mATX, or ATX, you can get more m2 and PCIe slots. Surely this will give you better performance than two SATA drives.

Well no it's true that I don't necessarily need redundancy on my scratch disk, but I will be keeping compositions and school-projects there for extended periods of time and if either of those were lost it would be a disaster so I would spend the extra money on peace of mind. But what are you suggesting I should use more m.2 and PCIE slots for, a second m.2 as a scratch disk instead of the samsung 860s?

4 minutes ago, AshesAndWool said:

I would spend the extra money on peace of mind.

RAID keeps servers running uninterrupted so there is no downtime. Servers have a lot of redundant components, not just the drives. Dont use raid for this purpose. Buy two USB disks, or a USB dock. Use automatic backup software. Rotate these disks every day. You want three copies of your data with at least one offline, preferably offsite. The offsite storage can be a pain but it protects you from fire and theft.

8 minutes ago, AshesAndWool said:

But what are you suggesting I should use more m.2 and PCIE slots for, a second m.2 as a scratch disk instead of the samsung 860s?

You might be able to make use of higher IO from PCIE, depending on what you are creating. Its good to have extra PCIE lanes anyway.