Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Venson

Slow on Ethernet Fast on Wifi

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey,

 

I have a very strange problem. When i go tethered network (does not matter if with an directly connected LAN cable or with a USB-LAN adapter) i see two common problems: 

1. When using an Speed test like Speedtest.net i see a short burst in download speed followed by a steady decline. Normal up to 480mbits in the first 20% of the test and then slowly down to ~200 mbits to the end.

2. When i am using by onboard LAN i got only 20-30 mbits download.

Upload is just fine with 50mbits more or less constant.

I got an Msi MEG Z390 ACE with build in WIFI adapter, if i use the WIFI its fine and the speedtest climes up to 480-500 mbits and just stays there.
Now comes to funny part.

My pc is joined with my server on a splitter right before it gets to my router. My Server acts just fine with the expected 500/50 every time. I changed the cable from my pc to the splitter multiple times but it did not work.

So nether the USB-LAN nor the build in LAN port does bring me constant download speeds.

 

What in hell could be the problem?

 

EDIT:

Yes i did try turning off the WIFI Adapter when running the tests over LAN and vice version

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

you may have a faulty port on your router btw what usb version do you have on your pc 

 


-it’s scuff Gang btw, I hated the name and needed a change
Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

 

AMD blackout rig

 

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx580 @1.45ghz mem=2100mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 @3800mhz

mobo: Asus b450f

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

hm no i dont think so as that would also affect my server.
 

Client  Server
    |          |

    ----------

         |

      Splitter

        |

      Router

The server performs fine.

The RJ45 to Usb is running on USB3.1 port (tried several with and without SS) and also supports USB3.1

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Venson said:

hm no i dont think so as that would also affect my server.
 

Client  Server
    |          |

    ----------

         |

      Splitter

        |

      Router

The server performs fine.

The RJ45 to Usb is running on USB3.1 port (tried several with and without SS) and also supports USB3.1

When you say "splitter" do you mean some 2 to 1 abomination or an actual switch?


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites

The pic is confusing.  Wouldn’t the splitter happen at the point the two machines connect rather than downstream of it?

Client  Server
    |          |

      Splitter

        |

      Router

 

 


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Venson said:

Sory lost in translation.
Yes an actual Switch. An Netgear GS105Ev2

ok, phew, I've seen a few people actually using those $2 "splitters" so I wanted to eliminate that :)


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Lurick said:

ok, phew, I've seen a few people actually using those $2 "splitters" so I wanted to eliminate that :)

yea they are both called Splitter/Switch as there are the same mostly in germany so ... old habits die hard^^.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The pic is confusing.  Wouldn’t the splitter happen at the point the two machines connect rather than downstream of it?

Client  Server
    |          |

      Splitter

        |

      Router

 

 

You could also draw it like this:

 

Client  Server  Router
    |          |             |

   ------ Switch ------

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Venson said:

You could also draw it like this:

 

Client  Server  Router
    |          |             |

   ------ Switch ------

Aha.  That actually may help. Many switches  have multiple out ports but only one in.  


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Aha.  That actually may help. Many switches  have multiple out ports but only one in.  

? Its an Netgear GS105Ev2 with all ports enabled 1 gb. I switched ports from my working server and client. Did not help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Venson said:

? Its an Netgear GS105Ev2 with all ports enabled 1 gb. I switched ports from my working server and client. Did not help.

Looked it up.  Just to check something that might be stupid, is the router cable in port 5?  If it isn’t, is the problem fixed if the router cable is in port 5?  If not all I got is there may be something up specifically with the client machine.

 

If this works btw someone at netgear needs to be poked somewhere delicate with something sharp.  Repeatedly.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Looked it up.  Just to check something that might be stupid, is the router cable in port 5?  If it isn’t, is the problem fixed if the router cable is in port 5?  If not all I got is there may be something up specifically with the client machine.

 

If this works btw someone at netgear needs to be poked somewhere delicate with something sharp.  Repeatedly.

Just for fun in tired to plug my client directly into the router. No Difference its something with the PC but i have no idea what i even could be anymore. I un/installed all sorts of drivers, disabled/Enabled Bluetooth, disabled/enabled WIFI, updated Bios, Updated Windows nothing. As soon as there is a god dam cable plugged into it, it behaves just strange. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Venson said:

Just for fun in tired to plug my client directly into the router. No Difference its something with the PC but i have no idea what i even could be anymore. I un/installed all sorts of drivers, disabled/Enabled Bluetooth, disabled/enabled WIFI, updated Bios, Updated Windows nothing. As soon as there is a god dam cable plugged into it, it behaves just strange. 

I'm wondering, is there any sort of MSI software that might be causing an issue with regards to rate limiting or something?


Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
39 minutes ago, Lurick said:

I'm wondering, is there any sort of MSI software that might be causing an issue with regards to rate limiting or something?

MSI offers the KillerNetwork suite, currently uninstalled.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

i might? have found the root of the problem. Super strange. Some weeks ago i played with the Windows Sandbox and therefore had installed the HyperV role on my Win10 Client. Yesterday i uninstalled HyperV, WindowsSandbox and the linux subsystem. For now there are no problems anymore.

 

super strange.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Nope again the problems are back.

I was about to shot images of an speedtest when i first disabled my Wired network adapter, then switched to WIFI made the shot and then switched back to Wired. After turning it off and on back again seem to be the solution.

I will write a Script to toggle my network adapter once in a while hoping that helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×