Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Iron Wolf

Upgrading Build

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am upgrading my build but I have not yet decided what GPU I should get my two main options are the RTX 2060 and the GTX 1660 Super. 

Here is what I am pairing it with.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $189.59 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $92.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Seagate Barracuda 750 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB OC Video Card $237.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $48.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG BH12LS35 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit Purchased For $0.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $704.53
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $684.53
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-21 16:40 EST-0500  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Iron Wolf said:

 

An R5 3600 will be faster for gaming.

Should step up to an RX 5700 as it's more like a 2070 at $299 for the blower at least, can be improved.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/n6XYcf/asrock-radeon-rx-5700-8-gb-video-card-radeon-rx-5700-8g
Or it's $30 more for a dual fan model.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/tt7p99/xfx-radeon-rx-5700-8-gb-dd-ultra-video-card-rx-57xl8lbd6

What's your current system? and your monitor resolution/refresh rate?

Probably want a nicer PSU as well just for the long run.


Prices are up due to the trade war and some other stuff though.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kz7CmG/evga-power-supply-210gq0650


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2019 at 3:40 PM, Iron Wolf said:

I am upgrading my build but I have not yet decided what GPU I should get my two main options are the RTX 2060 and the GTX 1660 Super. 

Here is what I am pairing it with.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $189.59 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $92.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial BX500 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Seagate Barracuda 750 GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB OC Video Card $237.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA BR 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $48.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG BH12LS35 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit Purchased For $0.00
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $704.53
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $684.53
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-21 16:40 EST-0500  

 

I would consider against that board with a 8 core CPU if you plan on doing any OCing.


Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3600Mhz |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2100Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | WD Purple 8TB |
XSPC EX 360mm | XSPC Raystorm V3 | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Harpoon RGB Wireless 10,000DPI | LG 27" 4K 60Hz 27UK650 |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
On 11/21/2019 at 4:57 PM, Streetguru said:

What's your current system? and your monitor resolution/refresh rate?

I have two monitors both 1080p 60hz planning to upgrade on the future. My current system is a i7 870 not an 8700 with a GTX 1050 2gb and 20gb ddr3.

Also does anyone know if buying parts from microcenter is worth waiting until black Friday or the deals are the same now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Iron Wolf said:

I have two monitors both 1080p 60hz planning to upgrade on the future. My current system is a i7 870 not an 8700 with a GTX 1050 2gb and 20gb ddr3.

Also does anyone know if buying parts from microcenter is worth waiting until black Friday or the deals are the same now.

Drop that low end X470 and get B450 Tomahawk MAX.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Iron Wolf said:

I have two monitors both 1080p 60hz planning to upgrade on the future. My current system is a i7 870 not an 8700 with a GTX 1050 2gb and 20gb ddr3.

Also does anyone know if buying parts from microcenter is worth waiting until black Friday or the deals are the same now.

I'd highly suggest just saving money on your GPU with an RX 480/580 8GB, that gives you the money to upgrade to a 1080p 144hz free-sync display in the same budget.

Would get an R5 3600 for sure for 144hz gaming in that case, with 3600mhz CL16 RAM

 

 

18 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Drop that low end X470 and get B450 Tomahawk MAX.

I'd just swap it for an MSI X470 board if sticking with the 2000 series, having the wider VRM is nice.


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

 

I'd just swap it for an MSI X470 board if sticking with the 2000 series, having the wider VRM is nice.

Which msi x470 board? The B450 Tomahawk MAX can take 2000 series too and capable running 3950x.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Which msi x470 board? The B450 Tomahawk MAX can take 2000 series too and capable running 3950x.

The X470 gaming plus and gaming pro are cheap, only $20 more than the B450 boards last time I looked.


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Streetguru said:

The X470 gaming plus and gaming pro are cheap, only $20 more than the B450 boards last time I looked.

The X470 Gaming Plus has the same vrm as B450 Tomahawk non max except the x470 gaming plus has slightly better vrm cooling. I have no data on gaming pro. Gaming Pro Carbon can take 3900x or 3950x if I can remember which is it from Buildzoid tested that board.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OlympicAssEater said:

The X470 Gaming Plus has the same vrm as B450 Tomahawk non max except the x470 gaming plus has slightly better vrm cooling. I have no data on gaming pro. Gaming Pro Carbon can take 3900x or 3950x if I can remember which is it from Buildzoid tested that board.

They're only 4 phase, while the X470 boards are a doubled 4 phase, but it's probably just a dumb doubled 4 phase.

 

But I'm seeing the tomahawk for $110, so you might as well go X470 at the same price or within $10.


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

 

I am trying to stay with ASUS I was interested in getting ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F a much more expensive motherboard, but Newegg has an open box version for $123. would that be good motherboard for ASUS. Granted I stay with the 2700x.

19 hours ago, Streetguru said:

I'd highly suggest just saving money on your GPU with an RX 480/580 8GB

Which model or brand of the GPU do you suggest.

19 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Would get an R5 3600 for sure for 144hz gaming in that case, with 3600mhz CL16 RAM

I am firm on the 2700x so I can stay with x470 not x570 with the 3600. Because I have no easy way of flashing an x470.

As for the memory I am willing to go for 3600mhz is that worth it with the 2700x.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Iron Wolf said:

I am firm on the 2700x so I can stay with x470 not x570 with the 3600. Because I have no easy way of flashing an x470.

 

As for the memory I am willing to go for 3600mhz is that worth it with the 2700x.

 

Just get a x470 board with Bios Flashback piece of cake to update bios to run a 3rd gen chip.

 

If you stay with 2700x 3600Mhz at this point would be best if you decided to go with a 3rd gen chip later on you will have 1:1 on the infinity fabric. If you can get a kit of C16 with 20 or under sub timings @3600Mhz that would be optimal a bit more expensive but performance wise better.


Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.2Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3600Mhz |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2100Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | WD Purple 8TB |
XSPC EX 360mm | XSPC Raystorm V3 | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Harpoon RGB Wireless 10,000DPI | LG 27" 4K 60Hz 27UK650 |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Would this be good memory. I know this is 32gb but I am willing to spend that so it is future proof and better for large video projects.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Iron Wolf said:

Which model or brand of the GPU do you suggest.

Doesn't really matter too much, they're all pretty comparable at this point. Bigger cooler the better for the used models.


Newegg has a new 4GB RX 570 For $120 with free stuff
https://www.newegg.com/xfx-radeon-rx-570-rx-570p427d6/p/N82E16814150795?Item=N82E16814150795&nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_medium=affiliates&utm_source=afc-PCPartPicker&AFFID=2558510&AFFNAME=PCPartPicker&ACRID=1&ASID=https%3a%2f%2fpcpartpicker.com%2fproduct%2ftF648d%2fxfx-radeon-rx-570-4gb-rs-xxx-video-card-rx-570p427d6&ranMID=44583&ranEAID=2558510&ranSiteID=8BacdVP0GFs-OrREWU.d9Vjc2COVLSpmbA

Would want to find a used RX 580 8GB otherwise on ebay for around the same price.

Then it's just going for 144hz or 240hz, the 3600 would be better for 240hz gaming with fast RAM though.
 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wQYhsZ

Monitor: AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($144.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Acer XF250Q Cbmiiprx 24.5" 1920x1080 240 Hz Monitor  ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $364.98


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

probably wont go to 240hz. 144hz is more reasonable. 

50 minutes ago, ddennis002 said:

Just get a x470 board with Bios Flashback piece of cake to update bios to run a 3rd gen chip.

The reason I cant get the 3600 is because ASUS MOBOs dont have flashback ability that I know of. also the 2700x has 8 cores vs 6 allowing for better performance in rendering, because I wont just be gaming.

24 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Newegg has a new 4GB RX 570 For $120 with free stuff
LINK
Would want to find a used RX 580 8GB otherwise on ebay for around the same price.

I Dont really like buying used and prefer new and definitely want the 580 8gb for they have versions for $150

Although with the monitor it might be over budget that is okay.

Here is what I have now. Ignore the model of GPU

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $160.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler $20.00
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard $124.00
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $149.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card $150.00
Power Supply Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Newegg
Monitor AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $144.99 @ Amazon
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $813.97
  Mail-in rebates -$20.00
  Total $793.97
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-25 19:14 EST-0500  

 I will be buying some of this at microcenter on Black Friday the rest online.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Iron Wolf said:

 

Ryzen 2000 can't do 3600mhz RAM very easily, and at CL18 that RAM isn't going to be much faster than a 3200mhz CL16 kit.

Micro Center can update the motherboard bios for you, should drop to 16GBs of RAM and get a 3700X. Really don't need 32GBs for most things.


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×