2x m.2 nvme ssds in raid on Asus b450i

Gottboost

Hi, is it possible to run 2 nvme ssds in raid on a Asus b450i motherboard? Also what type of raid would be best for reliability?

with 2 drives you can just mirror one of your drives to the other one. you lose 1 drive worth of space but unless both drives fail you will still have all your data.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

probably yes, but what do you want to achieve?
raid 0 is completely useless for nvmes; they are plenty fast already
other raids.... too much hassle

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

8 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

probably yes, but what do you want to achieve?
raid 0 is completely useless for nvmes; they are plenty fast already
other raids.... too much hassle

Pretty much just wanted to combine them to use as 1 2tb drive if you get what i mean

6 minutes ago, Gottboost said:

Pretty much just wanted to combine them to use as 1 2tb drive if you get what i mean

I get what you mean, but I wouldn't risk it. You're data is gone the second a) windows or b) your mobo messes up with the raid or forgets about it and if one drive fails, both TBs of data are gone. The benefit of not doing raid is also, that if you should need to reinstall windows, the second drive is unaffected.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

2 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

I get what you mean, but I wouldn't risk it. You're data is gone the second a) windows or b) your mobo messes up with the raid or forgets about it and if one drive fails, both TBs of data are gone. The benefit of not doing raid is also, that if you should need to reinstall windows, the second drive is unaffected.

No worries, just thought id ask before doing it. Just keep it as 2 separate drives,  will get 2 crucial p1 nvme 1tb price seems alright for them here

2 hours ago, Gottboost said:

No worries, just thought id ask before doing it. Just keep it as 2 separate drives,  will get 2 crucial p1 nvme 1tb price seems alright for them here

That is a good and better decision! RAID with NVMe devices is unnecessary, possible but more like a weekend project than a real need.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming