Crazy Optiplex sleeper

Hey guys! Never posted here before, but I felt like I had to share my Optiplex. I just finished it a couple days ago and wanted to see what you think of it. I don't think I've seen anyone actually swap the motherboard in one of these before so I had to try. Here's the specs:

-MSI B450M bazooka v2 mobo

-Ryzen 3 1300x

-16gb G.Skill Trident Z rgb 3200mhz

-EVGA gtx 1060 3gb

-EVGA 450BT

-Kingston A400 240gb ssd

-250gb HDD that came with it originally 

-3d printed a cover for the wires because I'm bad at cable management

-also 3d printed the latch for the drive bays and the HDD cage because they weren't black lol

The only issues I had putting it together was with the proprietary connectors on the front panel i/o and the case fan. I just happened to have a spare jumper wire that allowed me to plug the power button in, and I had to rearrange the case fan wires in the connector for it to work as well. Otherwise it went relatively smooth!

20191121_002507.jpg

20191121_002521.jpg

20191121_002621.jpg

That's the first time I've seen an Optiplex 9xx Series chassis with a Ryzen! Didn't think it was possible, to be honest, and that's coming from an Optiplex geek (I currently have a 755).

Pat yourself on the back because you've done a fantastic job, mate!

Sadly, Dell has gone 100% proprietary with the 3xxx chassis so it's impossible to... 'pimp' them.

A shame, really. 

Thanks man! Yeah it really is a shame that they made the later ones all proprietary because I do like the look of those a lot too.

Hey just thought I'd add a small update here. Since I have little to no use for the 5.25" disk drive, I gutted it and put the front back on so it still looks the same and used it to hide some more of my cables! The optiplex looks a little cleaner now.?

20191124_192930.jpg

20191124_192948.jpg

20191127_200522.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Another update! I recently got a Ryzen 5 3600 for the optiplex and am currently waiting on a Sapphire Nitro+ rx 580 8gb and a wraith prism cooler. I'll hopefully post some pics after I have it all together! :) 

Here it is with the Sapphire rx 580 Nitro+ 8gb, Ryzen 5 3600, evga 700BR, and the wraith prism cooler installed! The rx 580 was a pain to get in there. I had to cut and bend a bit of metal out of the way and it's still extremely tight in there as you can see in the pics. I absolutely love this thing and how ridiculous it is lol.

rx 580 in the optiplex 1.jpg

rx 580 in the optiplex 2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So I found an RTX 2060 Super for about $375 and promptly got it. I plugged it in the optiplex and my 700BR immediately died. Not entirely sure why. Thankfully my PC didn't get destroyed, so I returned that and got a 550 B3 so I could have a fully modular power supply. I used some carbon grey sleeving from MAINframe customs and hand sleeved the wires. I still have to do the 24 pin mobo cable but otherwise I would say it is basically finished! I think it looks awesome! What do you guys think? (sorry for the bad picture)Optiplex.thumb.jpg.2aa09b89fe713ecaee9c181f7b266d13.jpg

Love it. Sleepers are so much cooler and more rewarding to build in. And looks so much more tidy with the modular psu. 

Damn that's probably THE cleanest optiplex sleeper I've seen, cleaner than a lot of systems in modern cases even haha. Absolutely awesome job!

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

Thanks guys! ? I'll hopefully get this 24 pin mobo cable sleeved soon and I'll post some pics. It's being more of a pain than I thought, but I should have it done relatively soon!

@RadeonMike you should definitely build a killer PC in that Optiplex (If you do, let me know if you want some tips)

5 hours ago, weeblord said:

Where did you get that Forza magnet from?

I actually 3D printed it! If you have a 3D printer, I can see if I can find the model again for you.

That's pretty cool that you 3d printed it, but I am 99% sure i will never have a 3d printer in my lifetime

My Build (5800X3D, RTX 3070)

disclaimer: i probably don't know what I'm talking about but I try to give the best advice I can

Got the mobo cable sleeved... not very happy with how it turned out. I wasn't aware there were going to be split wires so that kinda messed everything up ?

Optiplex3.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 2/9/2020 at 10:02 PM, CantXDrift said:

Got the mobo cable sleeved... not very happy with how it turned out. I wasn't aware there were going to be split wires so that kinda messed everything up ?

Optiplex3.jpg

Hey Man, I'm trying to do this with a dell optiplex 7010, but like you, im having problem with front panel connector. Could you tell me how you did it with jumper wire, and where you bought the jumper wire

• 3 weeks later...

@OptiplexSleepz Well hopefully you already got it resolved, but if not, here you go. Wish I had checked my notifications sooner lol. Like you mentioned, I just used some jumper wires to connect the power button. They're just some Dupont style wires I had laying around. you can find them here. I think you might need the 40cm long ones, but not 100% sure on that. Anyway, I just searched for the optiplex power button pinout and found this:  OptiplexPinout.jpg.9cb640329b923fce246d93f67944ec0e.jpg

I just used this to figure out what pins I needed to connect. So you'll want to use the jumper to connect Power switch A&B (Yellow&Black) to the power switch pins on your particular motherboard. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which orientation you plug them in, just as long as you plug them into the power switch pins. You can plug in the power led using this pinout if you want as well. Sorry to get back to you so late, but I hope this helps.

On 4/15/2021 at 10:30 AM, CantXDrift said:

@OptiplexSleepz Well hopefully you already got it resolved, but if not, here you go. Wish I had checked my notifications sooner lol. Like you mentioned, I just used some jumper wires to connect the power button. They're just some Dupont style wires I had laying around. you can find them here. I think you might need the 40cm long ones, but not 100% sure on that. Anyway, I just searched for the optiplex power button pinout and found this:  OptiplexPinout.jpg.9cb640329b923fce246d93f67944ec0e.jpg

I just used this to figure out what pins I needed to connect. So you'll want to use the jumper to connect Power switch A&B (Yellow&Black) to the power switch pins on your particular motherboard. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter which orientation you plug them in, just as long as you plug them into the power switch pins. You can plug in the power led using this pinout if you want as well. Sorry to get back to you so late, but I hope this helps.

Thank you for your response! I'm going to buy those jumper wires. Do you have any photos of how yours is connected to the power button so i can have an idea. All of this is new to me

Edited by LoveEachother

@LoveEachother Here's what it looks like. It's not pretty, but it works. It's kinda jammed in there so it was hard to get a good photo. I do have the power LED connected at the moment so that's why there's more than 2 wires plugged in.OptiplexPowerConnector.thumb.jpg.acd007aa1307fa1d924b4a4fc16c87bd.jpg

10 hours ago, CantXDrift said:

@LoveEachother Here's what it looks like. It's not pretty, but it works. It's kinda jammed in there so it was hard to get a good photo. I do have the power LED connected at the moment so that's why there's more than 2 wires plugged in.OptiplexPowerConnector.thumb.jpg.acd007aa1307fa1d924b4a4fc16c87bd.jpg

Awesome. That is exactly what I needed. thank you! I really appreciate you taking time to help me

• 11 months later...

Hey sorry I know I'm resurrecting a deadthreadbut I just wanted to know how you handled Dell's proprietary front panel USB 2.0/audio header? I have an optiplex 7020 with a 4th gen i5 and I need to replace the motherboard and would prefer to not replace the case of I don't absolutely have to and I've found some good deals on some old Asus boards for 4th gen core I just need to figure out that front panel I'm pretty sure the usb3.0 is standard but the USB 2.0 and audio and hdd led are all in a proprietary 20 pin header 😕