Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spwath

No display signal

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I got a used r9 280, should have been working.

I get no display output from it. If I unplug the gpu, I can get onboard grpahics from cpu, but with gpu plugged in, get nothing from gpu or onboard graphics.

Thoughts?


n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
40 minutes ago, ajenningstech said:

It could be a power issue. What's your power supply?

Also: Did you see the card working before purchase?

I did not see it working, so it could just be broken.

 

It is just a power supply in a prebuilt, but is 500w


n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spwath said:

I did not see it working, so it could just be broken.

 

It is just a power supply in a prebuilt, but is 500w

500 Watts is the bare minimum recommended for the r9 280. So, If it boots without the GPU it could be a Power Limit issue and you need a beefier power supply.

Just to check: Does the power supply have the required 8 and/or 6 pin cables for the GPU?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, ajenningstech said:

500 Watts is the bare minimum recommended for the r9 280. So, If it boots without the GPU it could be a Power Limit issue and you need a beefier power supply.

Just to check: Does the power supply have the required 8 and/or 6 pin cables for the GPU?

Yes, it does have the needed power cables. Maybe ill try it with a differnet psu


n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spwath said:

Yes, it does have the needed power cables. Maybe ill try it with a differnet psu

If that doesn't work, try the GPU in another PC. If it fails there too, you may have been bamboozled.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a last minute question: are you plugging in your monitor's cable into the GPU after you insert it into the motherboard? It is fairly common for people to put a GPU in and still plug the cable into the motherboard by mistake.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, ajenningstech said:

If that doesn't work, try the GPU in another PC. If it fails there too, you may have been bamboozled.

Well I got it working, in a different PC, with the original PSU from first PC. Odd, but things work now


n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×