How many time a first buld usually take?

Neymus

I know basically all the steps by now, so how long will this take approximately?

Set aside an afternoon.  No reason to rush your first build.  OS, drivers, and software take a long time.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Probably a few hours at least for a first build.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

My first time (giggity) took about 7 hours

May have been partly that my gpu was DOA but you shouldn't have to worry about that

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

4 hours is generous estimate, if you want to spend a bit of time on cable management (which took up about 1/3 my first time building).

You could also do it faster, but with this estimate I take into account you may do some things wrong.

Pro tip (from a non pro like myself):
- Install RAM and M.2 SSD (if applicable) before cooler

- Check if all cables can be easily plugged in before placing the motherboard in the case

- Check what cables you need on your PSU before-hand, so you can more easily manage them all

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I can build a pc in an hour, but also it can take a day.
It depends if everything just goes together its pretty easy. 
But in the past i had to alter some stuff to make my build works so that took a lot of time. But normal builds yeah couple of hours.

But definatly take your time do not haste, look careful what you're doing, make sure you're grounded enough and theres very little that can go wrong.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

It depends on how you build. Assuming you know what you're doing, and by this, I mean knowing where everything goes, and that no components are faulty, you can do it in like 20 minutes? Now, do you want to do it properly, with perfect cable management? That will take you a while, depending on how neat you like it to be. I took a good hour on my cable management. This estimate does not include OS and software installs, as that depends on what you'll be running and which programs you'll use.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

You don't want to rush yourself. The first time I built a machine from scratch, it only took me about 30-45 minutes or so, but it can easily take a lot longer for someone less experienced. Naturally, software installation will take a while too, so don't forget to account for that. It helps to make sure that you have all the materials you will need and all the tools. You shouldn't need much more than a Phillips screwdriver. If you want the system to look nice, take the extra time to route your cables properly and be neat. When it comes to software, you should make your Windows install USB and set it aside before you build the system, that way you know you should be ready once the system is built. Once you get Windows installed, you can take a look at Ninite to install your most commonly used programs. 

I would give yourself 3 maybe more hours, this allows for build time, time to troubleshoot if it doesn't post first try, OS install, settings tweaks, driver install/update. Always better to have too much time than not enough

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W

1 hour ago, Neymus said:

I know basically all the steps by now, so how long will this take approximately?

Hi, well there is a huge difference between knowing the steps and actually sitting in front of the boxes and figuring out what goes where. I have been doing this for years and I could probably provide some time estimation based on your list of components, but for a first build my insight would be to just take your time, don't rush it, have fun, you are going to be building an awesome computer, enjoy the process :)

NeXTcube 12400 Z690M ITX 64GB SN770 6600XT Sugo16 12.5

NeXTserver 9400 H310N ITX 32GB SN350 5500XT Fara R1 12.5

NeXTstation 9900K Z390 ITX 32GB SN750 6800XT Enthoo 12.5

thats a good idea for linus to rake in extra money by making a video of people for the first time putting together a pc.

perhaps his wife and a friend maybe