Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Neymus

How many time a first buld usually take?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I know basically all the steps by now, so how long will this take approximately?

Set aside an afternoon.  No reason to rush your first build.  OS, drivers, and software take a long time.

"A promise is a promise"

Probably a few hours at least for a first build.

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x  | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition | RAM: HyperX 2x4GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | OS: Windows 10 Pro

"You don't need to spend a crap ton of money to build yourself a worthwhile gaming computer." -JayzTwoCents (Blasphemy, I know. Deal with it.)

My first time (giggity) took about 7 hours

May have been partly that my gpu was DOA but you shouldn't have to worry about that

𝓗𝓲 𝓱𝓸𝔀 𝓪𝓻𝓮 𝔂a

4 hours is generous estimate, if you want to spend a bit of time on cable management (which took up about 1/3 my first time building).

You could also do it faster, but with this estimate I take into account you may do some things wrong.

Pro tip (from a non pro like myself):
- Install RAM and M.2 SSD (if applicable) before cooler

- Check if all cables can be easily plugged in before placing the motherboard in the case

- Check what cables you need on your PSU before-hand, so you can more easily manage them all

"So, our goal today is to determine whether the waifu is hot" - Steve, Gamers Nexus

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"Wish i could find a way to stop the pain.         -         Besides the one that i keep thinking of."

My gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

The brains: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

The torso: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

Short term memory: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz ||

Pixel pusher: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming || 

Where I store memes: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 

Un-heater: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Carboard box: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

Power squid: Corsair RM750x ||

Peripherals:

Sound helmet: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Clickity-clack (sadly not clicky :() : Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Return the (drawing) slab! : Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Rodent: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Cloth for rodent: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

I can build a pc in an hour, but also it can take a day.
It depends if everything just goes together its pretty easy. 
But in the past i had to alter some stuff to make my build works so that took a lot of time. But normal builds yeah couple of hours.

But definatly take your time do not haste, look careful what you're doing, make sure you're grounded enough and theres very little that can go wrong.

It depends on how you build. Assuming you know what you're doing, and by this, I mean knowing where everything goes, and that no components are faulty, you can do it in like 20 minutes? Now, do you want to do it properly, with perfect cable management? That will take you a while, depending on how neat you like it to be. I took a good hour on my cable management. This estimate does not include OS and software installs, as that depends on what you'll be running and which programs you'll use.

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 80 Plus Gold MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

You don't want to rush yourself. The first time I built a machine from scratch, it only took me about 30-45 minutes or so, but it can easily take a lot longer for someone less experienced. Naturally, software installation will take a while too, so don't forget to account for that. It helps to make sure that you have all the materials you will need and all the tools. You shouldn't need much more than a Phillips screwdriver. If you want the system to look nice, take the extra time to route your cables properly and be neat. When it comes to software, you should make your Windows install USB and set it aside before you build the system, that way you know you should be ready once the system is built. Once you get Windows installed, you can take a look at Ninite to install your most commonly used programs. 

Main Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre | Intel Core i5-4430 (4C,4T, 3GHz) | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x 4GB) | 500GB Seagate 2.5" 7200RPM | Intel HD 4600 | Windows 8.1 Professional x64

I would give yourself 3 maybe more hours, this allows for build time, time to troubleshoot if it doesn't post first try, OS install, settings tweaks, driver install/update. Always better to have too much time than not enough

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig

CPU: i7-6850K MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 

Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 600p to boot, SanDisk 512gb x2 Ultra (RAID 0), Seagate Ironwolf 2tb x3 (RAID 5)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

SFF Portable/Travel Build

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X MOBO: Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED (2x16gb) 3000Mhz 15-17-17-35 GPU: EVGA GTX 970 Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i Chromax Storage: SanDisk 240gb PLUS (boot) Samsung 850 EVO 1tb Case: Fractal Design Node 202 w/450 watt PSU OS: Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 hour ago, Neymus said:

I know basically all the steps by now, so how long will this take approximately?

Hi, well there is a huge difference between knowing the steps and actually sitting in front of the boxes and figuring out what goes where. I have been doing this for years and I could probably provide some time estimation based on your list of components, but for a first build my insight would be to just take your time, don't rush it, have fun, you are going to be building an awesome computer, enjoy the process :)

NeXTmini 9400 Z390 Phantom ITX 32GB Catalina 10.15.1. NeXTstation 7700K Z170X Ultra Gaming 32GB GTX1080 Ti

Ducky One 2 Horizon GMK Laser. Tokyo60 GMK WoB. Got Keebs?. Sad CUDA fanboi :( Waiting for 5500 XT mini.

My very first build must've took like 3 hours but I was a kid so it's reasonable I guess.

My current rig was ready in 30 mins

I tend to reply with memes because I lack social skills and don't know how to express myself correctly.

thats a good idea for linus to rake in extra money by making a video of people for the first time putting together a pc.

perhaps his wife and a friend maybe