PIA Acquisition by Kape Technologies

Go to solution Solved by Arika,

Going to post some snippets from the below source that i posted in a previous thread that makes me very weary about how this is going to turn out

https://restoreprivacy.com/cyberghost/

In 2017 Knapp sold CyberGhost to an Israeli company called Crossrider for €9.2 million.

Crossrider changed its name to “Kape Technologies” in 2018 – for reasons that we’ll explain below.

Now here’s where things get interesting. When you research the company Crossrider (now Kape) you learn it is a company known for infecting devices with malware.

When you research the company Crossrider, you find numerous articles about Crossrider malware and adware, such as this article from Malwarebytes:

Crossrider offers a highly configurable method for its clients to monetize their software. The common method to infect end-users is software bundlers. The installers usually resort to browser hijacking. Targeted browsers are Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and sometimes Opera. Crossrider not only targets Windows machines but Macs as well.

PUP.Optional.Crossrider installs are typically triggered by bundlers that offer software you might be interested in and combine them with adware or other monetizing methods.

According to Malwarebytes and many other reputable online security websites, Crossrider was hiding malware in software bundlers, which would then infect the user’s computer with “adware or other monetizing methods”.

While some may dismiss this as old “history”, recent articles from 2018 illustrate how Crossrider malware is still deceiving users and infecting computers with fake Adobe Flash updates:

With such a troubling history, it appears that the parent company attempted to distance itself from its own past. In 2018, Crossrider decided to change its name to Kape Technologies.

As the CEO admitted here, the name change was an attempt to distance Kape from shady “past activities”:

The decision to rename the company, explains Erlichman was due to the strong association to the past activities of the company as well as the need to enhance the consumer facing brand for the business.

CyberGhost even hinted at this ironic conflict of interest in their blog post:

While CyberGhost focused on privacy and security from day one, Crossrider started out as a company that distributed browser extensions and developed ad tech products. Quite the opposite of what we did.

Reading through the Terms and Conditions, I did find this excerpt:

You understand that CyberGhost undertakes no responsibility for your actions. In case of statutory violations by the user, Crossrider may cooperate with public or private authorities at its sole discretion as provided by law.

This is “lawyer speak” for saying that the parent company can and will cooperate with third parties when it deems necessary.

So yeah, Shady as hell parent company, based purely on them now owning PIA, i would not trust PIA to keep your data safe

5 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

He talked about it on WAN show. Here's the timestamp:

Hide contents

TL;DW: They suspended their deal with PIA but they've given them a chance to respond.

ahh, i need to catch up on wan show, i'm a week behind. thanks. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

On 11/20/2019 at 11:46 AM, elfensky said:

Goddammit. And I actually got a 2 year PIA sub earlier this year. Talk about putting money down the drain. Guess that's a lesson for me, a lot can happen in 2 years, so pay monthly.

I wonder if I can get refunded for my remaining time.

I'm the same, bought a 2 year. What gets me is that PIA went above and beyond taking out full page ads in the Ney York times during the whole Net Neutrality debacle, you'd think even if they were looking to sell, that they wouldn't sell to someone with such a shady history. It basically ruins the name for me entirely. As soon as the acquisition goes ahead I'll be shopping around.

Athan is pronounced like Nathan without the N. <3

When I cancelled, I gave the reason of new ownership. Well guess who emails me back today with this pure damage control:

Hello S w a t s o n,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at PIA Customer Support.

As you know, we recently became part of Kape Technologies. This was not a decision we took lightly, and the deal has been in the making for more than a year. 
As you might expect in such a situation, there was due diligence performed on both sides. So, we had the chance to get to know Kape very well in the process.
During our research, we have discovered no kind of adware in Kape’s products.
What’s more, because adware is technically easy to detect, if it existed, it would have been public knowledge by now. 
I also want to let you know that:
  1. There will be no changes to our services, principles, or policies.
  2. We will keep staying true to our strict no-logging policy.
  3. We will continue to operate independently. 
  4. No customer data will be shared with Kape Technologies.
  5. Our jurisdiction, team, and dedication stay the same.
If you have any questions or need more details, I’m here for you. Just hit the reply button.

Note, I didnt "reach out" to customer support, this was a reason box in the cancellation process. The link takes you to a longer form version of this damage control. They must be seeing a good number of cancellations. We did it, not reddit!

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

I think I'll switch to Firefox Private Network when it comes out of beta. Support a good cause and the company seems like it'll have my back.

On 12/3/2019 at 11:02 AM, Jisagi said:

Kinda sad to see all this happen. I really liked PIA so far, but I had to make a decision. My subscription was due to renewal tomorrow, so I canceled it. Nothing stops me to renew the sub in the future if this ends well or at least better than we right now expect.

My subscription is up in May. I'm holding tight right now and not changing anything, but I'm definitely going to get keeping an eye on things.

8 hours ago, S w a t s o n said:

Note, I didnt "reach out" to customer support, this was a reason box in the cancellation process.

I did the same thing when I cancelled my subscription. I didn't get a reply though. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Cancelled my PIA subscription last month, was considering renewing. Glad I didn't.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

16 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

So nord and pia are out. Express vpn sponsorship?

I am curious to know what they go with honestly.  I think those were the two most well-known and trusted names until both of them lost that title due to recent events.  Perhaps they'll just steer clear of VPNs entirely now... might be a good choice.  I like what Louis Rossmann had to say on the subject.  To paraphrase/summary heavily, "I can recommend soldering stations and cleaners and other things because not only do I use them myself but I can take them apart and see that they're made using good parts.  I can't do the same with a VPN.  I have absolutely no way to verify that what they're doing is actually good for the end user, no way I can tell if they're worthy of my trust, and so it's not worth it to me to sell out my credibility.  I may make a few thousand dollars today with an ad, but in the long term if something goes wrong with one that I recommended, which is all too possible since I can't verify or test them, I lose something far more valuable - the trust of my customers, etc. and it's just not worth it".

Spoiler

He also had another video more or less saying the exact same thing before this whole thing went down (the title is a joke BTW):

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Let's see how this plays out, stuff like this is good for competition. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

1 hour ago, Gix7Fifty said:

Let's see how this plays out, stuff like this is good for competition. 

companies killing themselves at least give opportunities for smaller players to rise up

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

PS PIA will come on Wan show soon to address this.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

20 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I am curious to know what they go with honestly.  I think those were the two most well-known and trusted names until both of them lost that title due to recent events.  Perhaps they'll just steer clear of VPNs entirely now... might be a good choice.  I like what Louis Rossmann had to say on the subject.  To paraphrase/summary heavily, "I can recommend soldering stations and cleaners and other things because not only do I use them myself but I can take them apart and see that they're made using good parts.  I can't do the same with a VPN.  I have absolutely no way to verify that what they're doing is actually good for the end user, no way I can tell if they're worthy of my trust, and so it's not worth it to me to sell out my credibility.  I may make a few thousand dollars today with an ad, but in the long term if something goes wrong with one that I recommended, which is all too possible since I can't verify or test them, I lose something far more valuable - the trust of my customers, etc. and it's just not worth it".

Reveal hidden contents

He also had another video more or less saying the exact same thing before this whole thing went down (the title is a joke BTW):

Maybe mobile games or any console games or pc games sponsorship?

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2019 at 8:16 PM, S w a t s o n said:

When I cancelled, I gave the reason of new ownership. Well guess who emails me back today with this pure damage control:

Note, I didnt "reach out" to customer support, this was a reason box in the cancellation process. The link takes you to a longer form version of this damage control. They must be seeing a good number of cancellations. We did it, not reddit!

For me it took them 6 minutes to send me that. (Reason for cancellation: Kape)

Oh and I can't reach them from my Workplace anylonger. Its fun. 

I have a few year sub so this is concerning, Ill wait and see I would rather not have to get a new one till my multi year sub is up. I got a good deal on it to dangit.

• 2 weeks later...

So it been around 2 months since Linus said about giving them time for PIA to come back with info, but I haven't seen anything from LTT since.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 4:34 AM, GazCBG said:

So it been around 2 months since Linus said about giving them time for PIA to come back with info, but I haven't seen anything from LTT since.

On 1/25/2020 at 6:10 AM, Tony Tony Chopper said:

Would honestly expected something by now.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25