PIA Acquisition by Kape Technologies

Go to solution Solved by Arika,

Going to post some snippets from the below source that i posted in a previous thread that makes me very weary about how this is going to turn out

https://restoreprivacy.com/cyberghost/

In 2017 Knapp sold CyberGhost to an Israeli company called Crossrider for €9.2 million.

Crossrider changed its name to “Kape Technologies” in 2018 – for reasons that we’ll explain below.

Now here’s where things get interesting. When you research the company Crossrider (now Kape) you learn it is a company known for infecting devices with malware.

When you research the company Crossrider, you find numerous articles about Crossrider malware and adware, such as this article from Malwarebytes:

Crossrider offers a highly configurable method for its clients to monetize their software. The common method to infect end-users is software bundlers. The installers usually resort to browser hijacking. Targeted browsers are Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, and sometimes Opera. Crossrider not only targets Windows machines but Macs as well.

PUP.Optional.Crossrider installs are typically triggered by bundlers that offer software you might be interested in and combine them with adware or other monetizing methods.

According to Malwarebytes and many other reputable online security websites, Crossrider was hiding malware in software bundlers, which would then infect the user’s computer with “adware or other monetizing methods”.

While some may dismiss this as old “history”, recent articles from 2018 illustrate how Crossrider malware is still deceiving users and infecting computers with fake Adobe Flash updates:

With such a troubling history, it appears that the parent company attempted to distance itself from its own past. In 2018, Crossrider decided to change its name to Kape Technologies.

As the CEO admitted here, the name change was an attempt to distance Kape from shady “past activities”:

The decision to rename the company, explains Erlichman was due to the strong association to the past activities of the company as well as the need to enhance the consumer facing brand for the business.

CyberGhost even hinted at this ironic conflict of interest in their blog post:

While CyberGhost focused on privacy and security from day one, Crossrider started out as a company that distributed browser extensions and developed ad tech products. Quite the opposite of what we did.

Reading through the Terms and Conditions, I did find this excerpt:

You understand that CyberGhost undertakes no responsibility for your actions. In case of statutory violations by the user, Crossrider may cooperate with public or private authorities at its sole discretion as provided by law.

This is “lawyer speak” for saying that the parent company can and will cooperate with third parties when it deems necessary.

So yeah, Shady as hell parent company, based purely on them now owning PIA, i would not trust PIA to keep your data safe

I really hope LTT works with Mullvad, though it's unlikely. I don't think they have a huge budget.

edit: first post (on this account? coulda sworn i had another one), sound like a shill.

5 minutes ago, Airee said:

I really hope LTT works with Mullvad, though it's unlikely. I don't think they have a huge budget.

edit: first post (on this account? coulda sworn i had another one), sound like a shill.

You do a little, but Mullvad is a good service.

Damn, first Tunnelbear and now PIA.

I personally use Windscribe because I get free 15 GB of data for free every month, idk about their privacy record though.

I come here looking for things about Paypal’s acquisition of Honey and find this instead... I got rid of Tunnelbear because of the McAfee acquisition. Idk if I should get rid of PIA now as well because some shadier company has acquired it. At least McAfee has brand recognition...

Work Desktop: Dell Precision 5810 | Intel Xeon E5-1607 v4 | 8GB 2400 MHz ECC DDR4 | AMD FirePro w5100 4GB GDDR5

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" | Intel i7-4870HQ | 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3 | Nividia GeForce GT 750M 2GB GDDR5

i was this close to getting PIA.. oh well

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 hours ago, kting15 said:

I come here looking for things about Paypal’s acquisition of Honey and find this instead... I got rid of Tunnelbear because of the McAfee acquisition. Idk if I should get rid of PIA now as well because some shadier company has acquired it. At least McAfee has brand recognition...

wait what? Fuck paypal 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I bought a 2 year sub for PIA too....

My friend swears my Avast VPN? I didn't even know that was a thing? I thought they just had a browser....

What's Avast's track record like?

1 hour ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

i was this close to getting PIA.. oh well

Same here, but went with Surfshark instead. $1.77/month (USD) for two years and three months free. As long as they're not bought out by a shady company, I made a good choice. We'll see. 

"You're my dearest friend & my love. You lit my path through darkness & I'll stand with you...to whatever end." -Leliana (DAO).

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

well

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

For the time being, I'm gonna trust PIA.  It'd be a bad move on Kape's part if they betray us because PIA has a reputation for being pro-privacy.

And besides, I still got 3 years.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

I'm starting to get the feeling that network technology is so weaponized against the populous, that our only hope is to abandon it almost entirely, in favor of more traditional methods of spreading information (word of mouth, etc.).

Which, to be honest, we should have known that corporations and governments would have corrupted anything they touched, almost instantly.

The analogy that I would make is that government and corporations are to technology, what religion was to the ability to read for many centuries.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I canceled my subscription. I was grandfathered into a lower rate, so it still kind of hurts as none of the other options are as cheap. I'm thinking of switching to NordVPN though. I'm not thrilled about their security record, but it does at least back up that they don't keep records.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

Not sure if Strawpoll Links are allowed here, but maybe a quick survey on how people use VPN's, maybe this can get featured on WAN show tonight.

What do you use a VPN for?  https://www.strawpoll.me/18979413

• Protecting my browsing on public/foreign internet
  • Getting around geo-restrictions on content
  • Accessing private/corporate networks
  • Using ad-blocking/traffic reduction services
  • Something else

My concern is:

Is there a possiblitily PIA was already storing users data and this Kape Tech company bought knowin that so they can profit on it..

I'm completely in the dark here... It's just speculation.

I've been a PIA subscriber since 2013 but I just unsubscribed last night (fortunately I only had ~4 months left). 

A sales rep contacted me and assured me that none of their policies about logging or privacy would change but then immediately mentioned that the details of the merger hadn't even been ironed out yet so I'm assuming that there's zero actual credibility to that statement.

I suppose the only hope is that, if the deal isn't finalized, then maybe the massive negative feedback will force them to reconsider the merger, but I assume that they wouldn't have even announced it if it wasn't already far along in the process (and it sounds like PIA was already in pretty deep debt and likely doesn't have much say in the matter). 

Anyone have any experience with TorGuard? 

On 11/21/2019 at 12:35 AM, Orcblood said:

ExpressVPN seems like the only good VPN anymore. 

You guys do realise ExpressVPN is actually Hong Kong based, and the only VPN without traffic obfuscation but still accessible in China?

Chinese suspect they are actually entrapment used by Chinese government to monitor VPN traffics.

Additionally, a quick google search shows that ExpressVPN is highly likely owned by Chenbao LTD, this is clearly a mainland Chinese name since the name is in pinyin, not used by Hongkongers. Even if they don’t give anything to Chinese government, they are definitely owned by someone in mainland China, which raises even more questions: At such a big size and accessible in China, why the owner is not yet arrested? There are a lot of arrests this year in IDC industry in mainland China, mostly due to illegal websites, or you guessed it, VPN.

(Usually VPNs in China use obfs features to hide, such as Shadowsocks with simple obfs, or v2ray. Even so they still could be blocked. ExpressVPN is the only one that uses easily identifiable protocol but somehow never been blocked in China.)

On 11/20/2019 at 4:11 AM, Arika S said:

So yeah, Shady as hell parent company, based purely on them now owning PIA, i would not trust PIA to keep your data safe

I feel the need to point out that you should never trust anyone else with your data.

Using a VPN of any type, whether your own cloud machine or from a SaaS provider like Nord, Tunnel, PIA, or Express for outward facing network access (i.e. to access the internet) is only useful if you own the hardware and it's not tied to you through payment documentation. For most of us, if you can maintain these two constraints, it's likely at your house running through your WAN connection, and therefore a moot point anyway. The very fact that you pay for a public VPN service with credit/debit/paypal violates the second constraint and ties your data to your real identity anyway.

If anyone else has physical or administrative access to the machines running your VPN server it is not possible to be certain that they aren't actively collecting and selling your data.

What's worse, while the VPN provider may actually be trying to be secure, they almost always use rented services from cloud service providers. This means that you also have to trust the cloud service providers with your data. Just as an example of the problems that this can cause, ExpressVPN rents some of their servers from Micfo LLC, a company with a long history of committing internet based fraud: Most recently a huge IP fraud scam in which Micfo was found selling fraudulently obtained IP addresses to literally anyone who would pay them the money.

Unless you are trying to circumvent Internet Censorship, the only valid and secure setup for a VPN is to place it on your own network with the purpose of using it to remotely access your own network. This way, you own and can provide the physical and administrative security layers for both machines, and the data is encrypted before hitting any public nodes, and decrypted only once it's reached your private node running the VPN. Even then, it's possible to see that you made that connection, it's just not possible to see the data you're sending over that connection.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

2 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I feel the need to point out that you should never trust anyone else with your data.

People should be more conscious of what they do and say on the internet.

You can play safe, but there are always companies, people and governments looking for data.

I don't post a lot.  But I felt like I had to add my 2 cents.

I am super pissed about this.  I have been using PIA before LTT sponsorship.  Wendell recommended it randomly .  I researched all the companies.  It's the only VPN I've ever used and recommended it to everyone.  I love the WAN show idea of getting the CEO on in a video to assure us of security.  If it isn't done soon I'll be gone and now I gotta see what LTT, Wendell, and some other tech youtubers recommend, as a starting point.  Then, I gotta read and research all over again.  What a waste of time.

If I change then I have to explain to other people why they have to leave.

I felt so lucky I didn't have to deal with the TunnelBear BS or the Nord BS.

I also found what Sorachan said about expressVPN interesting.

2 minutes ago, kn1ghtnsh1narmr said:

Then, I gotta read and research all over again.  What a waste of time.

If I change then I have to explain to other people why they have to leave.

I felt so lucky I didn't have to deal with the TunnelBear BS or the Nord BS.

I also found what Sorachan said about expressVPN interesting.

well you either do the research or you pick another vpn

you dont have to explain anything to no one

be interesting to hear about what the problems with tb and nord were.