Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VegetableStu

Help Wanted: UWP Software Engineer. Employer: Apple

Posted · Original PosterOP

maxresdefault.jpg

finally, another competitor for Bejeweled and Minecraft!

via: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/11/19/apple-next-generation-media-apps-windows/

Apple:

The Media Apps team is looking for a creative Senior Software Engineer to work on the next generation of media apps for Windows. You will help build innovative features that will delight millions of customers around the world. 

(...)

If you love music and you are passionate about writing code, and want to work with world-class engineering teams that ship to millions of users, the Media Apps team is the place for you.

interesting. macOS Catalina recently broke apart itunes to multiple focused apps (rightfully so), and doing the same on windows would be nice too. especially when:

macrumors:

Windows 10 users currently need to access services like Apple TV+ and Apple Music on the web, which is not ideal. 

so this is probably making their third-party software somewhat more in line to how they're presenting them on macOS.

being a longterm hire though... if this is a step to more possibilities, imagine running with it a lot farther: would Apple aim to increase their software userbase while visibly hurting their hardware market share?

i mean, imagine Garageband or iWork on Windows. maaaaaaaybe not FCP or Logic (even less so for Xcode), but would they let up on one of the reasons to own a mac?

32 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

Windows 10 users currently need to access services like Apple TV+ and Apple Music on the web, which is not ideal. 

Who uses apps like that when you can just as easily access it from a browser? That's why I must be the only one to enjoy YouTube on a mobile device. Thanks to Firefox mobile supporting extensions, I don't have any adds on YT and don't have to worry about switching programs and the music I'm listing to stop playing.

Guess I'm just a fuddy duddy for not liking apps like Amazon for example. Those apps are just glorified mobile browser sites. Too much fodder taking up precious space on my device. No thanks.

13 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Who uses apps like that when you can just as easily access it from a browser? That's why I must be the only one to enjoy YouTube on a mobile device.

i guess i'm even stranger because i use itunes for music on mac/PC, and yet use youtube on chrome for mobile ,_,

38 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Who uses apps like that when you can just as easily access it from a browser? That's why I must be the only one to enjoy YouTube on a mobile device. Thanks to Firefox mobile supporting extensions, I don't have any adds on YT and don't have to worry about switching programs and the music I'm listing to stop playing.

Guess I'm just a fuddy duddy for not liking apps like Amazon for example. Those apps are just glorified mobile browser sites. Too much fodder taking up precious space on my device. No thanks.

On desktop I don't but on phone I definitely use apps (not for stores, what's the point, but for YouTube or Spotify and whatever). I think it's just better most of the case. YouTube is utter whit for music listening no matter what you do so don't care about that....

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

So UWP iTunes?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

8 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

So UWP iTunes?

at that point I'd think they'd rather make the separate apps (although there's the issue of implementing iOS device backup and sync for windows o_o would it be in Apple Music, or would they integrate to file explorer?)

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Most browsers can't do 4K HDR streaming, you need apps for that.

36 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Maybe Apple thinks their customers are stupid and the only way they can function is to have apps for everything, even on a completely different OS.

I keep forgetting that apps on windows is even a thing

It's pretty easy to forget when you barely need to even touch the Store.

Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

The apps do add more functionality over the browser versions. Or more ease of use.

I personally hate using Youtube on my phone in the browser. It is just not as responsive or easy to use.

But the ability to kill the ads is a good argument... I didnt know that worked on Youtube.

UWP?

Didn't Microsoft Unofficially say in a Blog post and some minor interviews that they're giving up on that and instead work on perfecting WPF while also porting it to .NET Core?

1 minute ago, strajk- said:

UWP?

Didn't Microsoft Unofficially say in a Blog post and some minor interviews that they're giving up on that and instead work on perfecting WPF while also porting it to .NET Core?

one can only assume Apple will follow suit once WPF's ready for dev release o_o

Just now, VegetableStu said:

one can only assume Apple will follow suit once WPF's ready for dev release o_o

Well WPF has been ready since 2006, UWP was supposedly the successor to WPF but fell flat on the ground when it came to adoption.

You aren't the only one. Can you have youtube play on firefox without turning off if you close or lock the screen? It'd really be nice to do that without paying for it.

f**k google for that particular design choice,

3 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

You aren't the only one. Can you have youtube play on firefox without turning off if you close or lock the screen? It'd really be nice to do that without paying for it.

f**k google for that particular design choice,

YouTube Vanced, bro.

Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

Be proud of who you are.

Native apps can give big benerfics:

* download videos/music so you can watch/listen when you are flying (or otherwise not on good enough internet for 4k HDR high bitrate video)
* lower battery consumption (important if you want people to watch for many hours)
* better system integrations (eg being able to wake up in the background and pre-emptivly download the next episode of a tv show when it comes out so its ready for you)

28 minutes ago, strajk- said:

Well WPF has been ready since 2006, UWP was supposedly the successor to WPF but fell flat on the ground when it came to adoption.

oh mmm gonna defer this to someone who's more familiar on this then ,_,