I need help deciding

Pride74

So I am deciding between the RTX 2060 or the 5700. The RTX has tay tracing of course and it is about $30 cheaper but would require me to get a more expensive monitor with g sync. The 5700 is slightly better, but it more expensive,no ray tracing, but it also comes with a game and free 3 month Xbox game pass, and the 5700 would also allow me to get a cheaper monitor because free sync is just inherently cheaper.

Thanks

1 minute ago, Pride74 said:

require me to get a more expensive monitor with g sync

No, it wouldn't. As of the 10## series you can use a freesync monitor with G-Sync enabled. This works on the large majority of monitors. 

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Just now, Skipple said:

No, it wouldn't. As of the 10## series you can use a freesync monitor with G-Sync enabled. 

So I can get a free sync monitor and it will work with nvidia gpu?

-= Moved to Graphics Cards =-

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 minute ago, Pride74 said:

So I can get a free sync monitor and it will work with nvidia gpu?

Yes. 

Here is a good list for monitor buying: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ej9mOe5NamLldpfyFfXrqvLMZP-aG2Zi1su7QzPRNJY/edit#gid=0

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

9 minutes ago, Skipple said:

No, it wouldn't. As of the 10## series you can use a freesync monitor with G-Sync enabled. This works on the large majority of monitors. 

Its a fairytale. True Gsync needs a Gsync  Monitor.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

Its a fairytale. True Gsync needs a Gsync  Monitor.

Apparently I am ignorant to this. 

What is the difference between G-Sync enabled w/ a Free Sync monitor and pure G-Sync?

I have it running on my ViewSonic and I have no issues. 

ask me about my homelab

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

Apparently I am ignorant to this. 

What is the difference between G-Sync enabled w/ a Free Sync monitor and pure G-Sync?

I have it running on my ViewSonic and I have no issues. 

Gsync Displays have a Hardware Module that sync the Displays Hz with the FPS the GPU is sending. No Freesync Display can do that. I dont say Freesync is bad, but its not Gsync and it never will be.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Just now, Praesi said:

Gsync Displays have a Hardware Module that sync the Displays Hz with the FPS the GPU is sending. No Freesync Display can do that. I dont say Freesync is bad, but its not Gsync and it never will be.

Interesting. So essentially is a difference of hardware vs software syncing? 

Will anyone honestly notice this... especially for the ~$150 GSync tax?

ask me about my homelab

2 minutes ago, Skipple said:

You can definitely see the difference, Linus did do a video in the Nvidia testing facility. Probably not a 150$ differnce for most people. I would spend the extra 30 on the 5700 and go with a freesync.

Just now, Skipple said:

All i can say is that Gsync is the best Solution i bought in 15 Years. Its another Level of Gaming and i never regreted the extra 150$.

If you spend so much Money on a Display, the one thing you stare at all the time, why dont just go the full way and buy the best possible?

Gsync has a range of 30 to 144 fps and Freesync 35 to 75 fps.