Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrypticDan

Will a DRAM-less SSD be fine as a backup drive?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm planning on buying the 480GB Crucial BX500 SSD to use as a system backup drive and to store occasionally played steam games. As the BX500 SSDs don't have any DRAM cache, will that affect anything with the backup? Apart from maybe how fast the data is backed up or restored?

Thanks.

Posted · Original PosterOP
12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

why would you use a ssd for backups, a hdd is much cheaper and may last longer.

but dram won't affect backups at all.

I currently use a HDD for backups, but it's noisy when it spins up (quite often randomly) and I like my system to be as silent as possible. I'll likely be using the SSD as a main backup and the HDD as secondary/ external backup.

1 hour ago, CrypticDan said:

I currently use a HDD for backups, but it's noisy when it spins up (quite often randomly) and I like my system to be as silent as possible. I'll likely be using the SSD as a main backup and the HDD as secondary/ external backup.

There are quieter hdd that are almost silent when running. You could also get a nas and put the drives in another room. Or go cloud backup.

If you are running a backup drive inside the computer, it's not really a backup drive (at best it merely redundancy). If your computer were to be stolen, get infected with malware, etc., the data on the "backup" drive would also be history. You would be better off using two external backup drives (either SSD or HDD although HDDs are more cost effective) and keep one on site and the other one offsite. They should be kept powered down, disconnected from the computer, and stored out of sight of the computer at all times except while updating the backup. The onsite and offsite backup drives should be swapped out as often as practical to keep both as up to date as possible.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!