PSU Dangerous ?

venomx

Running an RX580 GPU with Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500W 80 Plus PSU

I was advised on another forum that it's not a good enough PSU and could be dangerous and damage my PC ? Is this true ? I have had it like this for a month now with no reboots, blue screens, freezing, lagging etc it all runs perfectly

Not a heavy gamer just an hour or so each day

Thanks

That PSU is just not meant for a system that features an RX 580.

I'll leave the full judgement to the PSU experts here, bit that is probably the angle this other person judged the PSU on.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I would maybe (big maybe) put that PSU in a computer that gets used to browse the web and play solitaire. That's a system that doesn't see a lot of usage and doesn't get stressed, if at all. I'm not @jonnyGURU (sorry for tag you're the only one I can think of) so I couldn't really explain why. It's one of those things that some people just know about subconsciously.

39 minutes ago, venomx said:

I was advised on another forum that it's not a good enough PSU and could be dangerous and damage my PC ? Is this true ? I have had it like this for a month now with no reboots, blue screens, freezing, lagging etc it all runs perfectly

Thanks

i woudnt trust anything less than a rmx,

others wouldnt trust anything less than a rmx for gaming.

Well as long as im not in imminent danger of my pc being damaged that is fine.

I wouldn't know how to route the cables properly if I was to buy a new PSU so i'll look for a computer repair shop

okay, to tldr what can happen potentially (and a review at Jonnyguru actually shows this happening) is that with high load on 12v (cpu, gpu, part of mobo and such) and a low load on 5v (mostly storage, some parts of mobo and such) the controller tries to go higher on the 12v, while pushing up the 5v that far it gets out of spec

with that the unit has no undervoltage protection (or at least, the review doesn't how it has), which would allow it to drop voltage down while current goes up, until a different protection like overpower or short circuit kicks in.

if you have some spare money (~80 dollars can get you some great stuff), i would recommend to change it

i would personally recommend against the g3, because of what happened in aris's reviews of the 850w and 1000w models

OTP is set very high in our opinion, since we had to apply a huge thermal load on the secondary side to trigger it. The bulk cap's external casing nearly melted during our OTP evaluation.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-850-g3-psu,4930-6.html

We didn't get any OCP results because our unit died during the OPP test, meaning either that this particular sample had a problem or OPP is set very high. Note that we conduct these tests at normal ambient temperatures, below 30°C.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1000-g3-psu,4941-6.html

Ok thanks.

Does anyone know the difference between V1 and V2

Mine is a V2 as it has braided cables

Full protection (OCP/OVP/SCP/OPP) with built-in Over Temperature Protection (OTP). Minimizes the risk of damage from power outages. electricity. Features • 80 PLUS Certified with up to 85% Efficiency. • Single +12V Rail.

Is that no good ?

13 hours ago, venomx said:

https://www.ebuyer.com/769000-evga-supernova-850-g3-power-supply-220-g3-0850-x3

Is what i'll go for in future.

My CoolerMaster has excellent reviews on google so im sure it will be ok

would suggest avoiding the G3 for other options. 

also why 850w? your system clearly doesnt need that much, nor does any modern consumersystem. also singlerail on 850w.....

Real life experience with Enermax 550W passive and Asus R9 390X: has worked for 4 years and still going strong. IMHO one component I would not compromise over is the PSU. Save up some more for a GOLD certified with 105C capacitors. Most of PSU explosions happen from explody capacitors OR components getting damaged from faulty caps.  

48 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

would suggest avoiding the G3 for other options. 

also why 850w? your system clearly doesnt need that much, nor does any modern consumersystem. also singlerail on 850w.....

I was recommended it on another forum, I know 850w is ridiculous but which ones off ebuyer do you recommend ?

1 minute ago, venomx said:

I was recommended it on another forum, I know 850w is ridiculous but which ones off ebuyer do you recommend ?

im assuming its the UK market

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/dDH48d/corsair-txm-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020133-na

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/CZvZxr/bitfenix-whisper-m-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bp-wg550umag-7fm

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/qYTrxr/evga-power-supply-220g20550y1

these ones are the ones i would look at. 550w is enough for any consumer configuration. 

16 hours ago, venomx said:

Thanks

Is it dangerous?!

Probably not as the single 12v rail is rated at 38 amperes and the PSU has a maximum operating temperature of 40 degrees, which is more than enough. 

To be 100% sure, just grab a DMM and check the voltages at zero load and then check the ripple, repeat the same process at max load (Run a benchmark etc.). 

If the three main voltages (3.3v/5v/12v) are within tolerance (±5%) at max load and the ripple is <120mV @ 12v and <50mV @ 5.0v and 3.3v then it's fine. And if people tell you otherwise then they're probably blindfolded by the marketing hype and should know better. 

Do you recommend I change it ASAP or can it wait ?

My current PSU has pretty much 100% positive reviews on Google so i dont know who to believe

4 minutes ago, venomx said:

Do you recommend I change it ASAP or can it wait ?

My current PSU has pretty much 100% positive reviews on Google so i dont know who to believe

Don't believe in the hype.

Your PSU is 100% fine, fantastic even, as far as I'm concerned and I'm not entirely sure why you're willing to replace it in the first place?

But if you're concerned regardless then just test it with a DMM as I suggested earlier. It's very simple:

3.3v @ Orange wire.

5.0v @ Red wire. 

12.0v @ Yellow wire. 

Whereas black is neutral. 

Ripple voltage can be measured by selecting AC mV on the DMM. 

I was told...

Poor voltage regulation, filtering, indirect things like inadequate safety equipment. This is one of the most cheaply made PSUs by a major brand, only really intended for basic PCs. It uses some of the lowest-end capacitors around.

Well, my aforementioned method covers voltage regulation and 'filteration' i.e  ripple voltage which is basically unfiltered AC voltage (usually in milivolts) on an AC to DC powersupply's output. 

Rest is mere speculations and/or sheer bias, as far as I'm concerned. 

Give the following Q&A a thorough read for more information regarding AC to DC power supplies and their various aspects:

https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/worksheets/basic-ac-dc-power-supplies/

Fair enough.

If I have to change it in future i'll get the Corsair Vengeance 750m Silver

I wouldn't trust that psu with an RX 580.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  | GPU: GTX 1070 FE | RAM: TridentZ 16GB 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks P350x | OS: Windows 10 | Monitor: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

33 minutes ago, TrainFan2019 said:

It has worked fine though, no problems at all.

IF I was to get a more powerful GPU i'd probably upgrade my PSU

1 hour ago, TrainFan2019 said:

What about the Corsair RM750X Gold ?

22 minutes ago, venomx said:

It's a solid, tier A, PSU. I'm rocking an RM1000x personally.

15 hours ago, venomx said:

Ok, by this point I hear more value than performance. PSU selection does not depend on GPU only. Please post full specs for proper answers. In any case that 750W Gold will power pretty much anything single GPU based (unless you plan on swapping to a RTX Titan down the line).