• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RainGamma

Upgrading cpu

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, KnowledgeByTech said:

Indeed, you are correct. Latest BIOS, and that should just about do it ;)

Nice build btw.

Also can you check this warning it gave me. “The Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TXM Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.”

1 minute ago, RainGamma said:

Also can you check this warning it gave me. “The Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the Corsair TXM Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.”

ignore it. you will never exceed the powerlimit of 384w on the minimum spec 8-pin EPS connector. 

its redundant and mostly there for marketing. 

Just now, RainGamma said:

Simple fix, I had the same warning on one of my previous builds, I just continuously swapped PSUs on pcpartpicker until the warning went away. Sadly I don't think that there is a filter for connectors in the PSU section yet, but they should definitely add it.

2 minutes ago, RainGamma said:

I won’t overlock or anything but is that a huge thing to worry about?

If your not overclocking I wouldn't worry about it personally, it's just a friendly warning from the site just in case.

Like others have said one 8 pin is fine. Really only threadripper or intel hedt will pull more than the ~384 limit of an 8 pin eps

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig

CPU: i7-6850K MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 

Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 600p to boot, SanDisk 512gb x2 Ultra (RAID 0), Seagate Ironwolf 2tb x3 (RAID 5)

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

SFF Portable/Travel Build

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X MOBO: Asus ROG Strix B450-I Gaming RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED (2x16gb) 3000Mhz 15-17-17-35 GPU: EVGA GTX 970 Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i Chromax Storage: SanDisk 240gb PLUS (boot) Samsung 850 EVO 1tb Case: Fractal Design Node 202 w/450 watt PSU OS: Windows 10 Home 64 bit

58 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

ignore it. you will never exceed the powerlimit of 384w on the minimum spec 8-pin EPS connector. 

its redundant and mostly there for marketing. 

Thanks 

1 minute ago, RainGamma said:

Also do you think the 3950x would be better for gaming?

than the 3900x? no, it wouldnt be one bit faster. the 3900x is fairly similar to the 3700x in performance. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

than the 3900x? no, it wouldnt be one bit faster. the 3900x is fairly similar to the 3700x in performance. 

Okay all I use it for would be recording, editing and gaming 

Just now, RainGamma said:

you wouldnt notice the difference between the 3950x and 3900x except with a slightly lower rendering time. 

2 minutes ago, RainGamma said:

3900x and 3950x are strong in editing and recording but in gaming is no better than 3600. Go with 3900x or 3950x if you also do productivity beside gaming. You have a good board that can handle 3900x and 3950x no problem. You should able to snack 3900x at ~$400 usd in a year or two.

1 minute ago, OlympicAssEater said:

3900x and 3950x are strong in editing and recording but in gaming is no better than 3600.

*3700x

the 3600 is slower than the 3700x by a decent margin. 

2 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

You should able to snack 3900x at ~$400 usd in a year or two.

*looks at 2700x pricing*

yeah i kinda doubt they will be as much as 400$- 

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

*3700x

the 3600 is slower than the 3700x by a decent margin.

In gaming, 3600 is no far too behind 3700x and 3900x.

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

*looks at 2700x pricing*

yeah i kinda doubt they will be as much as 400$- 

2700x when it launched in 2018 price is about $380 - $400 usd and a year later after Ryzen 3000 came out, 2700x price drop down to ~$200 USD.v Yeah that is a fucking huge price drop in a year. Meanwhile, Intel cpu from 7th gen are still expensive. Hell, the 5960x Haswell-E still cost about $300 USD.

18 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

gaming, 3600 is no far too behind 3700x and 3900x.

Its not far behind, bur certainly behind. And 8 cores is allready showing its usefullnesd

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Its not far behind, bur certainly behind. And 8 cores is allready showing its usefullnesd

For $130 usd more just for 5 to 7 fps in gaming? I don't know about that man. 3700x is better than 3600 beside gaming but for those targeting gaming only than no doubt 3600.

8 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

For $130 usd more just for 5 to 7 fps in gaming? I don't know about that man. 3700x is better than 3600 beside gaming but for those targeting gaming only than no doubt 3600.

depends entirely on budget. 

locking out hardware because of "value" just makes you locket into recommending a certain build regardless of budget at their disposal. and 8 cores is allready becomming usefull

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

depends entirely on budget. 

locking out hardware because of "value" just makes you locket into recommending a certain build regardless of budget at their disposal. and 8 cores is allready becomming usefull

If you just gaming only 3600. If you are gaming and streaming or balance out between gaming and productivity 3700x. If you are into productivity 3900x, 3950x, and the upcoming threadripper.

It also depends on what the purpose of the computer. You can upgrade the cpu later down the road thanks to AM4 future proof. 3700x price is going to be the same case as 2700x when 4000 launches.

Just now, OlympicAssEater said:

If you just gaming only 3600

would argue thats a dumb limit to put for the following reasons. 

• 8 cores is allready useful
  • the 3700x is actually a faster CPU
  • ignores background tasks that windows may decide to do
  • ignores future game development. 
2 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

If you are into productivity 3900x, 3950x, and the upcoming threadripper.

you can game on those chips, not to mention both the 3600 and 3700x can do productivity rather well. 

3 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

You can upgrade the cpu later down the road thanks to AM4 future proof.

AM4 isnt futureproof. its forwards compatible and backwards compatible with limits in place that are annoying. 

talking about futureproof. did you know that 8 cores allready matters? and more cores will do the same in the future. why arbetrarly limit at a CPU that is allready not maxing out the current gameengine potencial?

13 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

would argue thats a dumb limit to put for the following reasons. 

• 8 cores is allready useful
  • the 3700x is actually a faster CPU
  • ignores background tasks that windows may decide to do
  • ignores future game development. 

Many will go with 3600 over 3700x for gaming only because the performance is not justify $130 or more just for 5 to 7 fps. If you can get the 3700x in a good deal like below $300 then go for it.

you can game on those chips, not to mention both the 3600 and 3700x can do productivity rather well.

Yes but 3900x and 3950x are targeting content creator beside gaming to me. This is why we ask buyers or builders for budget and what is the purpose for the pc. In gaming right now, you won't see any major different between 3900x and 3600, and let alone 3950x.

AM4 isnt futureproof. its forwards compatible and backwards compatible with limits in place that are annoying. 

AM4 is future proof to me. 3 generations now for AM4 socket. Unlike Intel, you have to buy 8th gen board for 8th gen cpu despite it is on LGA 115x socket. Even with limits in place, it still fighting back against Intel pretty dam nice. 

31 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

Many will go with 3600 over 3700x for gaming only because the performance is not justify $130 or more just for 5 to 7 fps. If you can get the 3700x in a good deal like below $300 then go for it.

there is a difference, and while you dont see it justifyable, the 3700x is clearly a better chip. people go for the 3600 as its good value, but there is allways a slight premium for the higher end. 

33 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

you won't see any major different between 3900x and 3600, and let alone 3950x.

major? no,  but enough that the 3700x is a justifyable increase in performance over the 3600. yes. and thats today with only a few game engines taking advantage of the 2 extra cores. 

34 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

AM4 is future proof to me

i dont think you understand fully what futureproof entails. 

35 minutes ago, OlympicAssEater said:

3 generations now for AM4 socket. Unlike Intel, you have to buy 8th gen board for 8th gen cpu despite it is on LGA 115x socket. Even with limits in place, it still fighting back against Intel pretty dam nice. 

this is forwards and backwards compatibility. says nothing about being "future proof". Futureproof entails that the socket will hold up to the test of time forward to and arbitrary number of years. and AM4 is allready showing its limits as a socket. 

26 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

there is a difference, and while you dont see it justifyable, the 3700x is clearly a better chip. people go for the 3600 as its good value, but there is allways a slight premium for the higher end. 

major? no,  but enough that the 3700x is a justifyable increase in performance over the 3600. yes. and thats today with only a few game engines taking advantage of the 2 extra cores.

3700x is a great chip but if you are on tight budget than 3600 is not a bad choice for gaming. 6 core is a min spec for gaming today so it will going take 2 years or so for 8 core to be consider a min spec for gaming. Some people view $130 for 5 to 7 fps more is not worth the money.

33 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i dont think you understand fully what futureproof entails. 

this is forwards and backwards compatibility. says nothing about being "future proof". Futureproof entails that the socket will hold up to the test of time forward to and arbitrary number of years. and AM4 is allready showing its limits as a socket. 

If I can drop 3950x onto X370 Crosshair Hero motherboard than that is future proof to me. Unlike Intel, I cannot drop something like 9th gen cpu onto Z270 motherboard despite it is the same LGA 115X socket.