Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ghost1801

Will GPU's work around the world

Posted · Original PosterOP

Good day

I have a question.

Will GPU's work anywhere in the world? 

Example: I stay in South Africa with 240Volts grid. Can I buy a GPU from Amazon USA (USA power GRID i think is 120Volts) and install it in my PC?

Will it work fine? 

The power supply of your PC needs to support the voltage of the grid. Most support both 120/230V. The components inside the PC always use the same voltage (12/5V DC).

Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

4 minutes ago, Ghost1801 said:

Good day

I have a question.

Example: I stay in South Africa with 240Volts grid. Can I buy a GPU from Amazon USA (USA power GRID i think is 120Volts) and install it in my PC?

Will it work fine? 

Yep, DC is DC anywhere in the world. Its the PSU that converts from AC to DC.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

Gpus are exactly the same in every country. It will work when you plug it in your pc and it will work. You can buy from amazon usa but import taxes may apply.

8 minutes ago, Ghost1801 said:

Good day

I have a question.

Will it work fine? 

Yes. Your PSU converts the AC power to DC. Internal computer components use DC not AC, standard internal PC components are universal, it wouldn't make sense to have GPU or CPUs or any parts besides the power cable for the PSU be country specific.

Main Desktop: Cpu - I7-8700k @5ghz | Mobo - Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E | Gpu - Asus ROG STRIX 2080ti OC Ram - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200mhz | Aio - H100i Pro RGB | Psu - Evga 850 GQ | Case - Fractal Design Meshify C White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 1x 1TB 1x 512GB / 1x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 4TB HDD |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S10+ - Ceramic White 512GB |

If you ask for a Mid Tower case recommend, I will 90% of the time recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C or S2.

5 minutes ago, Ghost1801 said:

Good day

I have a question.

Will it work fine? 

Your graphics card needs 12V, 3.3V and 5V lanes to operate, like many other components on your system.

As long as your motherboard and PowerSupply is able to deliver those to your graphics card, then it will work. 

What your power supply (PSU) does, is convert 100 to 220V to those 12V, 3.3V and 5V. So as long as your PSU is multi-region (most are.. they either automatically detect or have a switch, usually red that you need to flip. But best to double check before assuming). Anything after the PSU, is all following one of the PC standard (usually and most cases ATX)