Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlfaProto

Stuck at VGA LED, but boot after 2-3 mins (Help)

Posted · Original PosterOP

This is my full basic spec:

1. Intel Core i7-6700K
  2. MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
  3. Corsair LPX DDR4 2400MHz, 2x8GB
  4. 1 TB SSD M.2 SATA
  5. Toshiba 2x3TB HDD
  6. Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founder's Edition (dGPU), Intel iGPU is enabled via BIOS, in order to use QS, but all monitors are plugged to GTX 1070.
  7. CM GX II 650W
  8. ASUS VK228H and Acer H226HQL (LED Power : Orange - Not detected, Blue - Detected)

It is like any other day. I decided to start my computer up, and the MSI EZ Debug LED stuck at VGA. My monitor is correctly detecting the signal from the dGPU, since my monitor LED power light is blue. I did the troubleshooting steps:

1. Since I have two monitors, I plugged each monitor to each GPU, dGPU and iGPU. Resolution: dGPU picks up, LED power is blue, but still black screen (powered).
  2. Take out dGPU and test with iGPU. Resolution: iGPU picks up, LED power is blue, but still black screen (powered).
  3. Already cleared the CMOS and take battery out, I'm still using the iGPU, iGPU picks up, LED power is blue, but still black screen (powered).

I decided to browse my second hand online app for a new Z1/270 board. In about two-three minutes. The screen shows the 'BIOS reset', and I decided to use the OOB (out-of-box) stock settings, and I managed to get into Windows. So I decided to shut down and decided to plug my dGPU back into the motherboard.

The same problem occurred, the EZ Debug LED is stuck at VGA, however, the monitor (now dGPU) is correctly detecting signal, but still black screen (powered). I decided to wait about 2-3 minutes, and I managed to get into Windows. I decided to leave iGPU disabled.

I decided to do a BIOS update, as I'm on 1.3, so to assume that it is just an older BIOS, I upgrade to the next 1.4 (1.6 has Kaby Lake support). Nope, same thing, after 6 minutes (2 restarts), a slow to boot.

I'm just wondering, is this board about to die?

32 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

I'm just wondering, is this board about to die?

First thing. You didn't flash GPU with new bios by any chance? Maybe check if secure boot is enabled and CSM is disabled. ( I know this sounds odd, but I have experienced odd stuff, lol)

CPU: Intel i7 9700K@testing new settings| Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb, 4400mhz (B-Die) | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | 

Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

35 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

First thing. You didn't flash GPU with new bios by any chance? Maybe check if secure boot is enabled and CSM is disabled. ( I know this sounds odd, but I have experienced odd stuff, lol)

As far as I remember, I didn't flash the GPU with the latest BIOS, as my 1070 is using Samsung memory, not Micron. There's no reason to mess around the BIOS. While it's a Founder's Edition, it's from ASUS, with the . Secure Boot is disabled (default), and CSM is disabled, as I'm not using it for Windows 7 or older. I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

Plus, it's like any other day, the previous day, it was working well, I didn't touch anything, just cold start (turn on)/resume from sleep. There wasn't even a Windows Update.

15 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

As far as I remember, I didn't flash the GPU with the latest BIOS, as my 1070 is using Samsung memory, not Micron. There's no reason to mess around the BIOS. While it's a Founder's Edition, it's from ASUS, with the . Secure Boot is disabled (default), and CSM is disabled, as I'm not using it for Windows 7 or older. I'm using Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit.

Plus, it's like any other day, the previous day, it was working well, I didn't touch anything, just cold start (turn on)/resume from sleep. There wasn't even a Windows Update.

Just checking. Alright. Does the PC boot (no display) tried other output on GPU?

CPU: Intel i7 9700K@testing new settings| Motherboard: Asus Maximus XI Hero | RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 2x8gb, 4400mhz (B-Die) | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | 

Mon: Samsung C27HG70 27" 144Hz Freesync - G-Sync compatible(ish) | GPU: EVGA 1080ti SC Black Edition | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | 

Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout | Storage: Corsair MP510 960gb | Cooling: CPU: Kraken X62 - GPU: Kraken X42 - both with Noctua NF-A14's |

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

27 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Just checking. Alright. Does the PC boot (no display) tried other output on GPU?

Even switching my only DP cable to the other two DP output on my 1070 failed. The screen is powered, but black, the EZ Debug LED VGA lights up.

I also did the same thing on the iGPU, no success.

Seems strange, do you got a friend or something that has a rig you could test GPU in?

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

43 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Seems strange, do you got a friend or something that has a rig you could test GPU in?

I doubt that it's the dGPU problem, as I did tried iGPU, without the dGPU installed. It will stuck at the VGA led, but the screen is powered and black. I need to wait for 2-3 minutes before it shows the MSI logo/wallpaper.

5 minutes ago, AlfaProto said:

I doubt that it's the dGPU problem, as I did tried iGPU, without the dGPU installed. It will stuck at the VGA led, but the screen is powered and black. I need to wait for 2-3 minutes before it shows the MSI logo/wallpaper.

Yeah.. Your right. Your pretty stuck, when you don't have another board or anything.

Ryzen rig for LAN/Backup

4 hours ago, DoctorNick said:

Yeah.. Your right. Your pretty stuck, when you don't have another board or anything.

I wished I have a PCIE riser.

I have two PCs, RVZ02 and a 'office' LP case. I can't use the RVZ02, as I managed to stuck a HDD at the GPU aready with a strong adhesive double-sided tape. The office looking PC, is LP, and I don't want to take the guts out, as it's simply too crammed.

I already tested a GT 520, and a GTX 760, it's all the same issue. A very slow POST check.

20191119_232059_HDR.thumb.jpg.6627736e406da6073b63098ae6569e3b.jpg

Display pick up, and this is the EZ debug LED:

20191119_232107_HDR.thumb.jpg.d84daf6d25684cd062feaa78df6d28af.jpg

It's stuck at VGA.

Not sure about this one, I can't remember of this should show something other than 'Unknown Driver':

20191119_232400_HDR.thumb.jpg.a54d7d6ac06720b6af8cfd8c451ae813.jpg