What's a good laptop for my dad?

Hey guys, My dad has been bugging me to do some research on a good laptop that is similar to my Dell E5450 i5 5300U Laptop. What modern laptop is available that is simple for him to use, has some decent features, and is light for him to handle. Being as he had 2 strokes and heart surgery a few years ago, I was looking for something good and he really likes my Dell E5450. It'd be nice if it had a 1080p screen, 500GB Samsung SSD, or upgradable, and a dual band wireless card as well as Gigabit Ethernet, maybe USB Type-C? Let me know and thanks in advance! 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

What does he do with it? what about the $500 laptop linus showed a few days ago?

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Wait for Black Friday, get a Lenovo.

/thread.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

19 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

What does he do with it?

This is the info we didn't get that is completely critical. If 'dad' just wants to log into his Gmail and check Facebook, all he really needs is a Chromebook. If his idea of 'games' is solitaire or other super simple, lightweight stuff, a streambook with Windows could easily suffice.

30 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

Hey guys, My dad has been bugging me to do some research on a good laptop that is similar to my Dell E5450 i5 5300U Laptop. What modern laptop is available that is simple for him to use, has some decent features, and is light for him to handle. Being as he had 2 strokes and heart surgery a few years ago, I was looking for something good and he really likes my Dell E5450. It'd be nice if it had a 1080p screen, 500GB Samsung SSD, or upgradable, and a dual band wireless card as well as Gigabit Ethernet, maybe USB Type-C? Let me know and thanks in advance! 

Seems like he does nothing but use chrome or some other browser. If thats the case then don't bother on a shit low end Windows machine, get a chromebook for about 400 bucks that has better batterylife, can flip to be drawn on if needed and overall are much more durable and meant for honestly parents as well as stupid clumsy college students.

The one I like the most currently:

Amazon link

video review

If u want a response then YOU'D best Quote me so I can see it.

Shouldn't have to say this but the few ruin it for them all......

7 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

Seems like he does nothing but use chrome or some other browser. If thats the case then don't bother on a shit low end Windows machine, get a chromebook for about 400 bucks that has better batterylife, can flip to be drawn on if needed and overall are much more durable and meant for honestly parents as well as stupid clumsy college students.

The one I like the most currently:

Amazon link

video review

8 minutes ago, Euchre said:

This is the info we didn't get that is completely critical. If 'dad' just wants to log into his Gmail and check Facebook, all he really needs is a Chromebook. If his idea of 'games' is solitaire or other super simple, lightweight stuff, a streambook with Windows could easily suffice.

30 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

What does he do with it? what about the $500 laptop linus showed a few days ago?

Sorry guys. He mainly uses his PC for email, video streaming from youtube and similar. It'd be nice if he could do some light photo editing I'm sure. I had originally built his desktop for gaming but he doesn't do that as much. Hover being to use OBS for local recordings would be a good plus. Though he doesn't even do that often. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

4 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

Sorry guys. He mainly uses his PC for email, video streaming from youtube and similar. It'd be nice if he could do some light photo editing I'm sure. I had originally built his desktop for gaming but he doesn't do that as much. Hover being to use OBS for local recordings would be a good plus. Though he doesn't even do that often. 

So a chromebook is literally what he needs. There are apps for him to do photo editing pretty sure he doesnt need photoshop meaning basic editing would do and there are MANY android apps that do this. 

So again don't bother with an ass low end windows PC, to much bloatware and the hardware can't run windows well anyway. If u still hate chromeOS then just delete the shit and install Linux on it. Now u get fully functioning programs u just have to do some tinkering which I imagine u can do especially if its for your dad. Wouldnt u rather give him a machine that will last not one that he will get ass tons of malware and viruses on aka cuz it just runs windows compared to giving him a striped down laptop that does everything he needs and the tougher things like photo editing a little worse but still usable. 

My point is that unless u wanna spend upwards of 1500 bucks USD your not getting a laptop that will last. Just the state of the market no one makes good ones anymore kinda sad.....

If u want a response then YOU'D best Quote me so I can see it.

Shouldn't have to say this but the few ruin it for them all......

26 minutes ago, Magnetar_Byte said:

My point is that unless u wanna spend upwards of 1500 bucks USD your not getting a laptop that will last. Just the state of the market no one makes good ones anymore kinda sad.....

That's absolutely not true that statement. All my laptops were under $600 and lastet as long as they needed to which is for the first one a good 5 years, for the second 1.5 years but that one got only for form factor replaced and my current daily driver is in service for the last 2 years and there is no intention to replace it any time soon. Be careful what you buy in that price range and it can work for a long time. For simple stuff a modernish i5  u cpu with igpu will last a good timespan.

My recommendation would be to get some of the low end thinkpad stuff e.g. e series, and fit a bigger ssd in it if it is to small. But maybe wait for sales next week and see whats popping up. Also consider mobile ryzen cpus, they seem decent and are cheaper

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

13 hours ago, 19_blackie_73 said:

That's absolutely not true that statement. All my laptops were under $600 and lastet as long as they needed to which is for the first one a good 5 years, for the second 1.5 years but that one got only for form factor replaced and my current daily driver is in service for the last 2 years and there is no intention to replace it any time soon. Be careful what you buy in that price range and it can work for a long time. For simple stuff a modernish i5  u cpu with igpu will last a good timespan.

My recommendation would be to get some of the low end thinkpad stuff e.g. e series, and fit a bigger ssd in it if it is to small. But maybe wait for sales next week and see whats popping up. Also consider mobile ryzen cpus, they seem decent and are cheaper

I can a-test to this. My Dell E5450 has latest me for years honestly so I wanted to find a laptop that was like mine for my dad since he really liked how simple mine was.