Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ryan_Vickers

Google Stadia in desperate need of promised "negative latency" mode

Just now, RejZoR said:

Games and video encoding and decoding doesn't work at speed of light even if internet does.

transmission lines

across the seaboard, but if your in a 3rd world, then its even sketchier

On 12/1/2019 at 8:38 PM, Bombastinator said:

Became interested in steam remote play due to this comment so I downloaded it. Steam remote play seems from what I am looking at to work differently though.  You need a running host computer and it apparently only works on LAN.  You are saying it works on LTE as well?

Yes it works on LTE, as long as you have internet you can play on your PC from anywhere

12 minutes ago, TehPlayer14 said:

Yes it works on LTE, as long as you have internet you can play on your PC from anywhere

Gonna have to try that

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Geforce now which is free, can play on almost any device, can use your steam library, and has been out for years?

Neeevvveerrr heard of that one.....

yeet me into the void daddy linus

3 hours ago, pierom_qwerty said:

Geforce now which is free, can play on almost any device, can use your steam library, and has been out for years?

Neeevvveerrr heard of that one.....

Cool.  Where can I download this Geforce now thing? 

RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

How would you have "negative latency" without clairvoyance?

The original plan was to use AI to predict your movements so it could make them before you even do so, thus allowing the game to act, the frames to be rendered, and sent on their way toward your unit so that by the time you actually press the button, the frames are there and it's as if there was no latency.  I honestly can't believe they actually thought that would work, it sounds completely insane and impossible.  My title for this post is just a reference to that.

I don’t know how my friend defends stadia and says it’s great. Couldn’t possibly be because he has fios and pays for 500mb upload and download. Completely unrealistic and stupid when he only uses it to stream games to his living room which a steam link can do far better.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

14 hours ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

I don’t know how my friend defends stadia and says it’s great. Couldn’t possibly be because he has fios and pays for 500mb upload and download. Completely unrealistic and stupid when he only uses it to stream games to his living room which a steam link can do far better.

To be fair, the general consensus is Stadia works great, the underlying technology is there and the games are very playable. What most of the complaints are about now are the lack of basic features, which is understandable but hopefully they will deliver on those. This is good news because the actual hardest challenge (getting the games to a playable latency) seems to be great.

Another point is, it isn't Google's fault that people have data caps/terrible speeds. Data caps in Europe are non-existent so it is perfectly useable for us over here. Of course, its a consideration you should have when buying.

Steam link is great, if you already have the gaming PC to power it, for casuals who don't have $1000+ PC's, I think its a good option that will hopefully only get better if Google keep at it.

Just my opinion!

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

1 hour ago, Eniqmatic said:

To be fair, the general consensus is Stadia works great, the underlying technology is there and the games are very playable. What most of the complaints are about now are the lack of basic features, which is understandable but hopefully they will deliver on those. This is good news because the actual hardest challenge (getting the games to a playable latency) seems to be great.

Another point is, it isn't Google's fault that people have data caps/terrible speeds. Data caps in Europe are non-existent so it is perfectly useable for us over here. Of course, its a consideration you should have when buying.

Steam link is great, if you already have the gaming PC to power it, for casuals who don't have $1000+ PC's, I think its a good option that will hopefully only get better if Google keep at it.

Just my opinion!

What I have gotten is that Stadia is basicly just shit. It's not about basic features, it's about the whole concept of having paid subscription and on that you even need to pay for the games (apart from even smaller library of games included in the subscription) and the worst thing is that once you stop paying monthly, you loose those games you paid the full price for. Also that the whole service is currently on it's knees because a lot of registering, activating and device problems and a bit more on those.

The worst part for Stadia is that it already has competition and that competition is lightyears ahead of it in every way. mainly the competition is now already few years in beta been GeForce NOW and it whacks the shit out of Stadia. Not only does it support more devices than Stadia (almost every Mac and Windows PC +Nvidia Shield vs. Chromecast Ultra which may overheat and die, some limited tablets and Pixel phones), but at least currently it's free (as long as you get into the program) and even if it had paid subscription it would be million times better because you don't need any separate game library but you have the familiar Steam, Origin, Epic, Battle.net, Uplay and others where you can keep the games even if you stopped using GF NOW. Also just that GF NOW actually works while Stadia is unusable (I have 100Mbps VSDL2 and 200Mbps 4G (both without any caps or restrictions) in use and with both my friends Stadia (which I loaned to try out because it didn't even connect with my friends connection) was stuttering and lagging like granny in snow while GF NOW works flawlessly). And the fun thing is GF NOW is big project for Nvidia but it's not their primary thing that they would advertise and try to sell to people, while Google tries to sell Stadia and could have probably poured a lot more money in it than Nvidia even could dream to pour on GF NOW and they still suck at it.

Then all the promises about 4K gaming at 60FPS which have been more or less lies so far. Like yeah, good luck getting up from that hole you dug for yourself, Google.

1 minute ago, Thaldor said:

What I have gotten is that Stadia is basicly just shit. It's not about basic features, it's about the whole concept of having paid subscription and on that you even need to pay for the games (apart from even smaller library of games included in the subscription) and the worst thing is that once you stop paying monthly, you loose those games you paid the full price for. Also that the whole service is currently on it's knees because a lot of registering, activating and device problems and a bit more on those.

The worst part for Stadia is that it already has competition and that competition is lightyears ahead of it in every way. mainly the competition is now already few years in beta been GeForce NOW and it whacks the shit out of Stadia. Not only does it support more devices than Stadia (almost every Mac and Windows PC +Nvidia Shield vs. Chromecast Ultra which may overheat and die, some limited tablets and Pixel phones), but at least currently it's free (as long as you get into the program) and even if it had paid subscription it would be million times better because you don't need any separate game library but you have the familiar Steam, Origin, Epic, Battle.net, Uplay and others where you can keep the games even if you stopped using GF NOW. Also just that GF NOW actually works while Stadia is unusable (I have 100Mbps VSDL2 and 200Mbps 4G (both without any caps or restrictions) in use and with both my friends Stadia (which I loaned to try out because it didn't even connect with my friends connection) was stuttering and lagging like granny in snow while GF NOW works flawlessly). And the fun thing is GF NOW is big project for Nvidia but it's not their primary thing that they would advertise and try to sell to people, while Google tries to sell Stadia and could have probably poured a lot more money in it than Nvidia even could dream to pour on GF NOW and they still suck at it.

Then all the promises about 4K gaming at 60FPS which have been more or less lies so far. Like yeah, good luck getting up from that hole you dug for yourself, Google.

If you think its shit then you've been paying attention to the media spin, not the actual users. Media has hated on it from the start, not sure why. If you read community posts you will see 95% of users are having a fantastic experience. 

Your statement about losing games if you cancel your monthly subscription is 100% false, this is why its getting a bad rap in the media is because people are spreading misinformation: https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/cancelling-stadia-pro-wont-lock-you-out-of-your-discounted-games/

The service is 100% not on its knees, far from it. There was issues for 5 days after launch which they should definitely have done better with, no doubt about it. But since then, zero issues.

The competition is not light years ahead, infact Stadia does not have any direct competition. xCloud isn't a competitior because its Android only and 720p only. GeForce Now is pretty similar but the technology isn't the same at all. Stadia supports every device, not sure what you mean here? That's literally the whole point of Stadia is it's available everywhere?

Those that I have seen with problems is down to their network setup being poor, who then come back and say they fixed it after doing X, Y, Z. I've even seen people playing it literally on a moving train on Wifi. So not sure why you are having issues.

Agreed, they need to sort the 4k60FPS out with the developers.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications