Errors when installing Windows 10 on new build

boey
Go to solution Solved by beanhubbleday,

7 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

First had some error saying something along the lines of 'can't read memory' while installing windows(after choosing which drive to install it onto)

Then tried to reinstall, bluescreened at the same spot

Tried again, this time it said that I had corrupted windows installation files

Remake your USB using the windows 10 media creation tool

I should be fine with using my regular win10 thumbdrive right? Also, The drive is now like 30GB full of failed windows installation attempts, can I just click delete on the page where I select the drive to install windows onto, to clear those files?

Yep

So I just built a PC(specs below) and tried to install Win 10. I forgot to bring my regular windows installation thumbdrive, so we bought a brand new thumbdrive and used an old laptop to get the windows 10 installer onto it. Thing is, the old laptop had a shit ton of viruses(was used by a family of non-tech savvy people). Managed to install after a few tries, but when installing Win 10 on the PC, I came across multiple errors.

First had some error saying something along the lines of 'can't read memory' while installing windows(after choosing which drive to install it onto)

I should be fine with using my regular win10 thumbdrive right? Also, The drive is now like 30GB full of failed windows installation attempts, can I just click delete on the page where I select the drive to install windows onto, to clear those files?

Thanks

If anyone is questioning why this PSU and SSD, I got really good deals on both($75 usd for SSD and $70 usd for PSU)

Yep

Don't forget to @me / quote me for a reply =]

Just now, beanhubbleday said:

Yep

Have a feeling that it's because of the screwed laptop, I opened chrome and got popups(like those windows ones in the bottom right) every 2-10 seconds about ads and 'You have _____ viruses!!!!!'. Should be fine if I just delete the windows.old folders after installation right?

Just now, _d0nut said:

Have a feeling that it's because of the screwed laptop, I opened chrome and got popups(like those windows ones in the bottom right) every 2-10 seconds about ads and 'You have _____ viruses!!!!!'. Should be fine if I just delete the windows.old folders after installation right?

I honestly doubt that the windows media creation tool would let a virus mess with the integrity of the usb. If it keeps failing after a re-make of the USB, run malwarebytes and clear the laptop up..

1 minute ago, beanhubbleday said:

I honestly doubt that the windows media creation tool would let a virus mess with the integrity of the usb. If it keeps failing after a re-make of the USB, run malwarebytes and clear the laptop up..

Yup, i told him that the antiviruses he used were pretty much useless(think he used avg and mcafee) and told him to try malwarebytes. I'm using a completely different USB and using my own personal computer to install the windows media creation tool now, so hopefully that works. Thanks :)

Just now, _d0nut said:

I'm using a completely different USB and using my own personal computer to install the windows media creation tool now, so hopefully that works. Thanks :)

Probably for the best! Let me know how you gt on :)

On 11/18/2019 at 6:47 AM, beanhubbleday said:

Probably for the best! Let me know how you gt on :)

So after installing windows with new USB, there were new BSOD errors, pointing to a memory issue. I managed to switch from slots A2 B2 to A1 B1 and everything worked out.

1 hour ago, _d0nut said:

So after installing windows with new USB, there were new BSOD errors, pointing to a memory issue. I managed to switch from slots A2 B2 to A1 B1 and everything worked out.

Awesome dude, glad it worked out for you!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 5:57 PM, beanhubbleday said:

Awesome dude, glad it worked out for you!!

Thank you! Weird though, I've done several builds, and the only two that had major-ish issues were both low end PCs. First was a i5-3570k and Z77 which did not give any display output/mobo light/fan spinning when pressing the power button, replaced the Z77 with a H61(sadly, only available motherboard) and everything worked fine. Spent so long testing the PSU/GPU/CPU/RAM.

This build is a newer one as it has a B450 PRO4 and 3400G, but now I've had memory slot/memory issues and windows installation issues(probably unrelated. 

You got any idea on whether I'm just super unlucky or is there a correlation between cheaper parts and higher chance of failure?

4 hours ago, _d0nut said:

Thank you! Weird though, I've done several builds, and the only two that had major-ish issues were both low end PCs. First was a i5-3570k and Z77 which did not give any display output/mobo light/fan spinning when pressing the power button, replaced the Z77 with a H61(sadly, only available motherboard) and everything worked fine. Spent so long testing the PSU/GPU/CPU/RAM.

This build is a newer one as it has a B450 PRO4 and 3400G, but now I've had memory slot/memory issues and windows installation issues(probably unrelated. 

You got any idea on whether I'm just super unlucky or is there a correlation between cheaper parts and higher chance of failure?

That's something one could easily think but I don't think so. 

Lots of people have also issues with high end boards etc , and its not like these are really low end parts,  and just for example corsair vengeance LPX RAM is one of the cheapest yet considered very good.

I built my first PC with mostly lower end parts and had no issues at all,  you just have to know which parts not to cheap out on like the RAM or the PSU (which is something a lot of people seem to fall into,  one of the most if not the most important part of a computer build is often overlooked, strangely) 

Glad you got it sorted out btw!  :)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer