Death Stranding - What did you guys think of it?

GabrielFerrazTPU

Death Stranding  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like Death Stranding?

Hey Guys what's up?

Recently i boght the game on steam(its not available to play at the moment though) however i watched the entire game cutscene at least 3 times and every single time i finish i'm in the mood to watch it again. I loved the story, its well told, has excellent charactors, and an interesting theme. The game itself might not be the best in the market to play, but the story is freaking amazing, it's basically a movie.

So what did you guys think of it?

"Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave birth to time and space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that set a planet spinning in that space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave rise to life as we know it... And then came the next explosion. An explosion that will be our last"

"... To see the world in a grain of sand. Heaven in a wild flower

Hold infinite in the palm of your hand.  And eternity in an hour ..."

PC: 1

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 4.3GHz 1.3875v Motherboard: AsRock X470 Taichi (BIOS: Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABB) RAM: 4x8GB(32) 3200MHzCL16 Hyper X GPU: GTX 980 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Core Clock: 1595MHz Memory Clock: 8000MHz Storage: SAMSUNG EVO 860 2TB(OS) / SAMSUNG EVO 860 1TB(Backup) Cooler: NZXT Hydro X72 360mm Case: NZXT Phantom 820 PSU: Corsair TX-750w Display Monitor: Monitor AOC AG251FG 240Hz G-Sync 1080p Headset: Headset LogiTech G633 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version: 1909 / OS Build: )

NOTEBOOK:

Model: Acer Aspire 5516 CPU: AMD TF-20 1.6GHz(1C/1T) GPU: ATI Radeon X1200(256MB) RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) 666MHz HD: SSD Sandisk PLUS 240GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

6 hours ago, Caroline said:

I dunno I'll pirate it when the crack comes out in 5+ years I guess.

Hahahah LoL. But what did you think of the trailers then?

"Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave birth to time and space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that set a planet spinning in that space. Once there was an explosion, a bang that gave rise to life as we know it... And then came the next explosion. An explosion that will be our last"

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 4.3GHz 1.3875v Motherboard: AsRock X470 Taichi (BIOS: Agesa 1.0.0.3 ABB) RAM: 4x8GB(32) 3200MHzCL16 Hyper X GPU: GTX 980 Ti Waterforce Xtreme Core Clock: 1595MHz Memory Clock: 8000MHz Storage: SAMSUNG EVO 860 2TB(OS) / SAMSUNG EVO 860 1TB(Backup) Cooler: NZXT Hydro X72 360mm Case: NZXT Phantom 820 PSU: Corsair TX-750w Display Monitor: Monitor AOC AG251FG 240Hz G-Sync 1080p Headset: Headset LogiTech G633 OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Version: 1909 / OS Build: )

NOTEBOOK:

Model: Acer Aspire 5516 CPU: AMD TF-20 1.6GHz(1C/1T) GPU: ATI Radeon X1200(256MB) RAM: 4GB(2x2GB) 666MHz HD: SSD Sandisk PLUS 240GB OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64

39 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

from what i've heard good story meh gameplay

From what I watched, it's a meh story with meh gameplay.

Like the rest of the Kojima games I've played.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

It's a game with a good concept, good graphics and a few great ideas well implemented.

It also is meh regarding controls and story with a couple of other bad ideas terribly implemented.

I'd give it a 5/10, maybe a 4/10 because it's a tad too slow paced for my liking too even though I fully understand that's kinda the point of the game... make it "realistic" with gigantic map to be explored where you gotta work your way through while overweighted gear.

It's a game for a more niche audience... I'll just stick with Jedi Fallen Order for now ;)

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Haven't seen any gameplay of it other than the initial trailer. But most of everyone is saying it was disappointing overall, so....

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

The story is a 10/10. Unlike Metal Gear you don't have to wait years and years and wade through multiple games to get a payoff. Also unlike Metal Gear, the story (IMO) makes more sense despite the strange imagery and premise. There's no complicated threads to be weaved between and across games or stories; everything is very clear. It's Kojima's best writing.

The gameplay bothers me and is a 5/10. While I think the idea of async multiplayer is creative, it's not nearly as original as Kojima thinks. The payoff in gameplay comes from building networks of transportation and infrastructure for yourself and for others. The biggest challenge in the game, and the single biggest adversary, is Sam's inability to walk over a small stone without tripping. The second-biggest disappointment is the vehicles apparently lacking any kind of suspension model, so they too will be stuck on small stones constantly.

SPOILERS BELOW - READ AT OWN RISK

Spoiler

The biggest disappointment of all, is the horrible BT mechanics. They're far more threatening in cutscenes and the trailers than they are in the game. MULEs are equally meaningless, just knock them out (don't kill them because then you get bugged to carry their corpses to an incinerator or they'll void-out and those void-outs are way bigger than yours). The threat of void-out is threatening the first time it happens to you (excluding the intro cutscene) and you can screw yourself out of a path for a while if you void-out an easily traversable pathway. But, void-outs will (VERY) slowly fill in so it's not a permanent thing (just takes a very very long time).

Plus, once you have ways to fight with BTs, the game forces you to do combat with them by taking BB away from you, so the likelihood that you will run into one goes from low to inevitable, and fighting goes along with that. The fighting is horrible though. It feels like the most stiff 3rd-person shooter ever. It's also ripe with inconveniences. If you want additional ammo for a rifle, you can't just print mags for the rifle, you have to print a whole new rifle. Refilling ammo can only be done in private rooms. Grenades print in groups of 5 which simultaneously feels like too many and not enough.

Of course, you don't actually have to fight anything. The reward is usually chiral crystals, which you can find all over the place usually (though not in as large amounts), and you can just run away from BTs even after they catch you and/or spawn a miniboss (or two) to fight. If you leave the area then it all despawns.

Overall it felt like a 7/10 for me. Don't know if I'll replay it. If I do I may focus more on infrastructure than I did in my first.

I'm waiting for the PC release before I play it. I've heard a lot people say it has a good story with meh gameplay. I usually enjoy games as long as the story keeps my attention, the gameplay can be pretty much garbage but as long as the story is good I can usually stick through it.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

48 minutes ago, Tegos said:

Decent story, decent gameplay. I can understand why some people aren't interested, but I've also seen some pretty ludicrous comeplaints coming from people who also enjoy other "walking simulators".

I knew it was gonna be polarizing, but not this much.

At the end of the day, it's perfectly fine as a game.

It's also a good reminder that niche games are niche for a reason. Not all games are for everyone.

Agreed, like i said, what made me like the game, was the amazing story.

NOTEBOOK:

Just now, Tegos said:

I was walking home from work and I realized something: 

It's really good that this game isn't satisfying everyone. In fact, it's a relief! Why? 

Because it won't suffer the same fate as Metal Gear Solid. 

Death Stranding will be a one-off game with a self-contained story. We won't need years worth of sequels to understand the plot. There will be no spin-offs. There will be no Death Stranding equivalent of MGS4 or MGSV. 

By giving the game this "mixed bag" reputation, the people are saving it.

Exaclty, by the way, did you heard the "rumor" that might there even be a movie?

NOTEBOOK:

Didn't play it myself, but watched jacksepticeye's playthrough of it and I really enjoyed it. Best game ever? I don't know, probably not for me, but it was an interesting story and game nontheless. I'll probably play it for myself once it comes to PC next year just for the proper sound experience.

Totally not what I expected from the first couple of hours though. After those it really turned around.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

please add another option called i dont know.

i havent watch any video about it, but what i heard it's like a new wave movie. people have fine tastes love it, american hate it. for me, im neither american nor have fine tastes, but i do love old novels and avenger movies, so....

jokes aside, i dont enjoy over the top violence games like cod or even doom, more of the casual side, like destiny. so i think i would enjoy this game.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

Nice Setting but absolutly boring Gameplay. And Gameplay is the key element when playing a Game.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

On 11/20/2019 at 5:05 AM, zassou said:

please add another option called i dont know.

i havent watch any video about it, but what i heard it's like a new wave movie. people have fine tastes love it, american hate it. for me, im neither american nor have fine tastes, but i do love old novels and avenger movies, so....

jokes aside, i dont enjoy over the top violence games like cod or even doom, more of the casual side, like destiny. so i think i would enjoy this game.

Duly Noted!

The game itself its basically a movie, i'd recommend to watch the game movie on YouTube

NOTEBOOK:

I've watched over 10h of gameplay videos so far, love the story. The gameplay isn't my style, but that applies to many genres. At least it isn't "just" another variation of fps.

Note I often watch gameplay videos of games I know I wouldn't want to play, but still want to get the story.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 hour ago, porina said:

I've watched over 10h of gameplay videos so far, love the story. The gameplay isn't my style, but that applies to many genres. At least it isn't "just" another variation of fps.

Note I often watch gameplay videos of games I know I wouldn't want to play, but still want to get the story.

Totally agreed!

I also loved the story.

NOTEBOOK: