Electroconvulsive therapy right into your brain - Elon claims BCI can solve Autism

williamcll

Famous for his multitude of tech products, Elon Musk now claims that his upcoming neuralink BCI can help cure autism and schizophrenia.

Elon Musk said he thinks his neural-technology company, Neuralink, will be able to "solve" schizophrenia and autism. On the latest "Artificial Intelligence" podcast with Lex Fridman, published Tuesday, the Tesla and SpaceX CEO was asked about the most exciting effects he foresees for Neuralink, whose goal is to develop an AI-enabled chip that could be implanted in a person's brain to record brain activity and potentially stimulate it."So Neuralink I think at first will solve a lot of brain-related diseases," Musk said. "So could be anything from, like, autism, schizophrenia, memory loss — like, everyone experiences memory loss at certain points in age. Parents can't remember their kids' names and that kind of thing."

It was not clear what Musk meant by saying Neuralink could "solve" autism, which is not a disease but a developmental disorder.The UK's National Autistic Society's website says: "Autism is not an illness or disease and cannot be 'cured.' Often people feel being autistic is a fundamental aspect of their identity." The World Health Organization describes schizophrenia as a "severe mental disorder." Musk founded Neuralink in 2016, and for the first few years of its existence, the company was relatively secretive.This year, Neuralink has been more vocal: It published a white paper in July about its design for a brain chip, and Musk excitedly announced that the company had begun testing on monkeys.

Neuralink chip
An illustration of Neuralink's design. The chip sits behind the ear, while electrodes are threaded into the brain.  Neuralink/YouTube

Musk has said the technology could be used to treat neurological conditions such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. He also told Fridman that it could be used to solve "critical damage to the brain or the spinal cord." But his eventual goal is to merge human consciousness with AI.

Neuralink is "intended to address the existential risk associated with digital superintelligence," Musk told Fridman. "We will not be able to be smarter than a digital supercomputer, so, therefore, if you cannot beat 'em, join 'em."

Source:https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-said-neuralink-could-solve-autism-and-schizophrenia-2019-11

Thoughts: I agree, personality disorders should not be considered as someone's personality when they can't think straight. but I don't think it would be this easy to cure mental problems.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Great news that Neurallink can solve Autism, I wonder what other cases Epstein didn't kill himself it can solve #LookIntoIt. 

22 minutes ago, floofer said:

Great news that Neurallink can solve Autism, I wonder what other cases Epstein didn't kill himself it can solve #LookIntoIt. 

Credulity is a long term phenomena in the world.  Ect has been around almost since there has been electricity.  It’s twitchy, and it’s random.  It’s also generally considered hokum. I’ll give it credence when I see actual data.  I notice that bit wasn’t even in the quote.  Just the title.

Also the Epstein thing?  I’m so sick of all the stupid fake whispering that’s actually meant to be heard.  Epstein was a pedo.  In prison.  Even if he didn’t kill himself it doesn’t mean someone political did.  Which is alway the implication implied by the whispering.  It’s as bad as that pizzagate stupidity.  
 Pedos are major targets in prisons.  They are the type of inmates most hated by other prisoners.  Plus he was famous.  Double jeopardy. There was a disturbing amount of stupid on the part of the prison administration surrounding his death.  Group stupidity.  There’s too many people involved.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Maybe this will cure Elon

To be fair if they ever get enough of a handle on how the brain works to make this useful i could see it being helpful in those cases, the very understanding of how the brain functions that would make this broadly applicable should give enormous insight into the neurology behind countless mental disorders.

Weather for example i'd, (I'm on the autism spectrum), want it i'm less sure on.

Righto,   I'll take stupid comments from dumb famous people for $50 please.

Seriously,  there is a lot more we don't know about autism than there is we do know.  Suffice to say what we do know is that you can't catch it, it is almost definitely genetic, there are many co-morbid   in utero conditions that correlate really well (also heavily genetic).   And most importantly you can't fix it with diet, energy stones, rekie, spiritual intervention or taking leaches,  you also can't cure it by electrocuting brains. 

EDIT: #fuckwit

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

electrocuting brains. 

Hundred years of innovating the process of poking something with a stick. But hey it's still innovation. #sciencerulez

Why would anyone want to change who they are. Maybe Elon should watch Chris Packham’s excellent documentary “Asperger's and Me” before he makes such insulting comments

#fuckwit

I don't intereprt Elon as saying "I've found the cure for autism!" but rather him making general statements of potential future possibilities with Neuralink.

2 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

Why would anyone want to change who they are. Maybe Elon should watch Chris Packham’s excellent documentary “Autism and Me” before he makes such insulting comments

#fuckwit

Because autism is a mental disability and shouldn't be seen as a personality trait anymore than let's say alcoholism, clinical depression, anorexia, PTSD, OCD, bipolar, borderline etc.

Just because an alcoholic thinks that it is "part of their personality" doesn't mean their lives (or the lives of people around them) wouldn't improve without it.

I get that it is a big part of some peoples' lives and they have come to terms with "this is how I am", but that shouldn't be the case if we discover a way of changing it. Why wouldn't you want to get rid of a disability if given the choice?

He should team up with Jenny McCarthy. She also had some amazing ideas about "curing" autism. 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Because autism is a mental disability and shouldn't be seen as a personality trait anymore than let's say alcoholism, clinical depression, anorexia, PTSD, OCD, bipolar, borderline etc.

Just because an alcoholic thinks that it is "part of their personality" doesn't mean their lives (or the lives of people around them) wouldn't improve without it.

I find your comment idiotic; you develop depression, anorexia, PTSD, alcoholism etc. as you live, but autism and Asperger's syndrome -- which I have -- are things that you don't develop in your daily lives. They are inherently a part of you all the way from when you were a fetus, so yes, they definitely are a part of your personality.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I get that it is a big part of some peoples' lives and they have come to terms with "this is how I am", but that shouldn't be the case if we discover a way of changing it. Why wouldn't you want to get rid of a disability if given the choice?

I, for one, would like to get rid of multiple facets of it, sure. It being a part of my personality doesn't mean I wouldn't want that to change. Though, personally, I find at least Asperger's has its advantages, too, like e.g. it's way harder to get me to go along with group-mentality and therefore coax me into the same kinds of stupid trends other people go for, like e.g. anti-vaxxers, or the hamster-wheel of constantly buying the newest version of this-or-that, or fashion-trends or any other similar thing.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

8 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

I find your comment idiotic; you develop depression, anorexia, PTSD, alcoholism etc. as you live, but autism and Asperger's syndrome -- which I have -- are things that you don't develop in your daily lives. They are inherently a part of you all the way from when you were a fetus, so yes, they definitely are a part of your personality.

I, for one, would like to get rid of multiple facets of it, sure. It being a part of my personality doesn't mean I wouldn't want that to change. Though, personally, I find at least Asperger's has its advantages, too, like e.g. it's way harder to get me to go along with group-mentality and therefore coax me into the same kinds of stupid trends other people go for, like e.g. anti-vaxxers, or the hamster-wheel of constantly buying the newest version of this-or-that, or fashion-trends or any other similar thing.

Well said. Frankly the term "Being cured" is one I find insulting in this context. 

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Not necessarily.

A lot of mental disorders such as alcoholism, clinical depression and bipolar have been found to be at least partially genetic. But that's besides the point. Your personality is not something you are born with. Just because it's part of your genetics doesn't mean it is part of your personality. I certainly don't have the same personality as I had when I was a child. Personality and genetics are two different things. What you define as "you" is a malleable and every changing thing

12 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Though, personally, I find at least Asperger's has its advantages, too, like e.g. it's way harder to get me to go along with group-mentality and therefore coax me into the same kinds of stupid trends other people go for, like e.g. anti-vaxxers, or the hamster-wheel of constantly buying the newest version of this-or-that, or fashion-trends or any other similar thing.

But that advantage is also a double edged sword because it goes in the opposite direction too. You might be stuck believing incorrect things.

Being resistant to change is only a positive thing if the new thing is bad or incorrect, which is not always the case. So at best I would say being resistant to change is a netural aspect, not a positive aspect.

7 minutes ago, Phill104 said:

Well said. Frankly the term "Being cured" is one I find insulting in this context. 

Well "cured" is the correct terminology since it is a disorder.

Like I said earlier, you shouldn't let a disability define you as a person. There is way more to you than just autism.

2 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

A lot of mental disorders such as alcoholism, clinical depression and bipolar have been found to be at least partially genetic.

You're completely missing the difference: you being predisposed towards e.g. depression doesn't mean that you will develop depression. You're not born with depression. Autism and Asperger's, however, are not just a predisposition and there is no chance of developing it, if you as a fetus are afflicted by it.

7 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But that advantage is also a double edged sword because it goes in the opposite direction too. You might be stuck believing incorrect things.

Being resistant to change is only a positive thing if the new thing is bad or incorrect, which is not always the case. So at best I would say being resistant to change is a netural aspect, not a positive aspect.

You're talking about something completely different than what I said. I didn't say I refuse to believe in things or reject change, that's not what group-mentality and herd-behaviour is.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

12 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Well "cured" is the correct terminology since it is a disorder.

Like I said earlier, you shouldn't let a disability define you as a person. There is way more to you than just autism.

It is only a disorder because it does not conform to what society deems the norm. While I don't disagree that for some it can be debilitating, for many it is a strength, part of who they are. I can guarantee you, most of those diagnosed with it would not want to be changed in any way. 

Take a look at the documentary I mentioned, it is very informative giving an insight to someone who has Asperger's

I would want some parts of my Asperger's changed if I could, but not all of it. Tho, I am still in the finding my place in the world stage, and was diagnosed not very long ago.

I highly doubt electroconvulsive therapy can change it in any form tho. DNA modifications before someone is developed in the stomach might, but should we do that? I don't know, there are a million things that DNA modifications should be used on first even if you wanted that.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Credulity is a long term phenomena in the world.  Ect has been around almost since there has been electricity.  It’s twitchy, and it’s random.  It’s also generally considered hokum. I’ll give it credence when I see actual data.  I notice that bit wasn’t even in the quote.  Just the title.

Also the Epstein thing?  I’m so sick of all the stupid fake whispering that’s actually meant to be heard.  Epstein was a pedo.  In prison.  Even if he didn’t kill himself it doesn’t mean someone political did.  Which is alway the implication implied by the whispering.  It’s as bad as that pizzagate stupidity.  
 Pedos are major targets in prisons.  They are the type of inmates most hated by other prisoners.  Plus he was famous.  Double jeopardy. There was a disturbing amount of stupid on the part of the prison administration surrounding his death.  Group stupidity.  There’s too many people involved.

One has to pay a lot of money to get that level of stupidity around a Man that had connections to the highest levels of power around the world and most of the intelligence agencies. But, they know plenty of people will accept being lied to their faces and find other answers than the actual one. Also, he was killed because he was a Pimp, not a Pedo, and thus had outlived his usefulness. 

If you want a fun time reading up on how complicated some of these operations can get, check this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Mahmoud_Al-Mabhouh  I came across a video presented by Dubai authorities themselves laying out the timeline a few years ago, but I can't find it at the moment. For someone like Epstein, it's going to take a number of layers, which is perfectly possible when the local authorities are already pretty corrupt. Which is also why the Memes are working they way they are. You can safely point out the obvious because no one involved is going to get punished anyway, and it's not like anyone really cares he died.

As for the direct topic of the thread, most of the neurological stimulus approaches will end up coming up really short for being treatments. They only help in situations where you have signaling dysfunction, so, depending on how large of a set that is within the given population you're studying, it can either seem to do nothing or work wonders. All depends really tightly on who you're looking at.

As for Autism, there's really 3 types that they've smashed into a single term. The most classic would be the genetic variants that had a spectrum from completely mentally cloistered to what is more commonly called Asperger's. The next group is the Focus-Shifted. This is the "Weaponized Autism" genetic shifted variant which shows up in higher latitude populations with much longer Winters. The ability to concentrate longer is actually genetically preferential when dealing with complex problems dictates life & death. The modern and most common variant is actually neurological inflammatory disorders that has far more to do with the Liver than the Brain.

Oh boy.

I have a real problem with him anyway, he's a fraud. The guy has never invented anything, he simply takes old abandoned ideas and claims them as his own. This current device included.

I can't wait for the medical community to call him out on this. He better have evidence that what he is claiming is true.

I've no doubt the usual news sources will praise him and this 'invention' like its the second coming without understanding what exactly his device is or does.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

17 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

As for Autism, there's really 3 types that they've smashed into a single term. The most classic would be the genetic variants that had a spectrum from completely mentally cloistered to what is more commonly called Asperger's. The next group is the Focus-Shifted. This is the "Weaponized Autism" genetic shifted variant which shows up in higher latitude populations with much longer Winters. The ability to concentrate longer is actually genetically preferential when dealing with complex problems dictates life & death. The modern and most common variant is actually neurological inflammatory disorders that has far more to do with the Liver than the Brain.

It is always an interesting debate. We evolve in certain ways for a reason and we do not fully understand the mechanism behind it. When we start messing around that is when problems arise.Should we for instance cure sickle cell? It appears to have evolved to protect people from malaria in part. While there is an unfortunate side effect on some, has it on the whole been beneficial to those that lived in a high malaria region? What would have happened had man at an early stage switched off that gene? Would the regions population suffered a much higher attrition? We just do not know and despite best guesses probably never will.  

Welp this is Elon so either he's saving us all or wasting money like on that hyperloop thing 

Primary Laptop (Gearsy MK4): Ryzen 9 5900HX, Radeon RX 6800M, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 24 GB DDR4 2400 Mhz, 512 GB SSD+1TB SSD, 15.6 in 300 Hz IPS display

2021 Asus ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition

Secondary Laptop (Uni MK2): Ryzen 7 5800HS, Nvidia GTX 1650, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 16 GB DDR4 3200 Mhz, 512 GB SSD 

2021 Asus ROG Zephyrus G14 

Meme Machine (Uni MK1): Shintel Core i5 7200U, Nvidia GT 940MX, 24 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz, 256 GB SSD+500GB HDD, 15.6 in TN Display 

2016 Acer Aspire E5 575 

Retired Laptop (Gearsy MK2): Ryzen 5 2500U, Radeon Vega 8 Mobile, 12 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4, 256 GB NVME SSD, 15.6" 1080p IPS Touchscreen 

2017 HP Envy X360 15z (Ryzen)

PC (Gearsy): A6 3650, HD 6530D , 8 GB 1600 Mhz Kingston DDR3, Some Random Mobo Lol, EVGA 450W BT PSU, Stock Cooler, 128 GB Kingston SSD, 1 TB WD Blue 7200 RPM

HP P7 1234 (Yes It's Actually Called That)  RIP 

Also im happy to answer any Ryzen Mobile questions if anyone is interested! 

26 minutes ago, computers-are-cool said:

Maybe we should wait to see if people like the change before judging if it is a good or bad thing. Also if you had a disability you would not know if you would like to get rid of it or not because you would never have lived without it.

I live with autism and if getting rid of it meant that I’d have a shot in hell of not being a socially inept sack of shit, I’d take the cure. 

What people don’t understand is that some people feel like autism is a handicap for them, myself included. I wish I was a far more normal person like my two brothers, and wasn’t like myself, an incredibly awkward and offensive VHS collector who likes incredibly regular cars. Not everyone is like me, though, and that’s what has to be understood about autism. It is, in its rawest form, a developmental disorder that can affect how someone does damn near everything.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, Mihle said:

Tho, I am still in the finding my place in the world stage, and was diagnosed not very long ago.

I was myself diagnosed only a few years ago, well into my adulthood. It was kind of a relief for me, to have an official explanation for many of my issues and something I can refer to when other people accuse me of being difficult or trying to upset them on purpose. It felt sort of like a permission for me to ignore the pressure the other people and the society at large is trying apply to me to be like them.