Xeon X5450 with R7 265

Thaddeaus

Any idea on how bad will X5450 bottleneck an R7 265 graphics card? Thanks.

Both fairly low end devices, I wouldn't concern yourself with a bottleneck.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

7 hours ago, Sat1600 said:

Do you have either part yet?

just the x5450 

7 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Yes, it will.  Up to 50% in some games.

I had two of those CPUs in a dual socket with that exact GPU.

but does it perform good for those games? can you state some examples thank you

36 minutes ago, Thaddeaus said:

just the x5450 

Some games won't run at all. Like apex legends, because lga 771/775 does not have the SSE4.2 instructions.

Also the real bottleneck is the ddr2 ram. It's usually running at 667mhz. If you have a board that supports ddr3 there will be very little bottleneck. It's almost as powerful as a first gen I5. 

8 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Yes, it will.  Up to 50% in some games.

I had two of those CPUs in a dual socket with that exact GPU.

Were you using ddr2 or ddr3. The slower ram is usually the bottleneck

Just now, Sat1600 said:

Were you using ddr2 or ddr3. The slower ram is usually the bottleneck

Quad Channel FB-DDR2, the memory bandwidth wasnt a problem, I have/had a DDR3 C2Q to compare against.  The general ineptitude of Croe 2 Duo/Quad generation cores was the problem.  Per-core and per-clock they are 20% behind 1st gen Core CPUs (i3/i5/i7), and their clocks are generally lower.  Compared to Sandy Bridge, they are 50% slower at the same clock.

In games like Fallout 4, FPS swings wildly in outdoor areas... swings from 20 to 80 and back are pretty common.  In GTA 5 you can expect 20-40 FPS unless you set lots of things to low.  In both cases the GPU is generally capable of a steady 60 FPS if the CPU wasnt in the way.

6 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Quad Channel FB-DDR2, the memory bandwidth wasnt a problem, I have/had a DDR3 C2Q to compare against.  The general ineptitude of Croe 2 Duo/Quad generation cores was the problem.  Per-core and per-clock they are 20% behind 1st gen Core CPUs (i3/i5/i7), and their clocks are generally lower.  Compared to Sandy Bridge, they are 50% slower at the same clock.

In games like Fallout 4, FPS swings wildly in outdoor areas... swings from 20 to 80 and back are pretty common.  In GTA 5 you can expect 20-40 FPS unless you set lots of things to low.  In both cases the GPU is generally capable of a steady 60 FPS if the CPU wasnt in the way.

That has not been my experience. After the first scrapyard wars. LTT did a video combining a q6600 with an r9 290 and got pretty good result. Granted this was a few years ago, but the bottleneck was not that bad

26 minutes ago, Sat1600 said:

That has not been my experience. After the first scrapyard wars. LTT did a video combining a q6600 with an r9 290 and got pretty good result. Granted this was a few years ago, but the bottleneck was not that bad

You can simulate the performance of a C2Q by using an AMD FX4100 (very close per core & per clock performance).  Performance is so bad that a RX 560 or GTX 670 are bottlenecked by the CPU significantly, even up to ~5ghz.  The R7 265 needs clocks well into the 4ghz range to be mostly not CPU limited, but there will always be a situation where the poor CPU performance will limit its performance.