Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LinuxGameGeek

petition to unite RGB

RGB  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Are you tired of multiple RGB programs running in the background?

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Anyone who has assembled a PC in the past few years, has most likely encountered RGB parts and wondered if he should choose RGB lightning or not stay with a simple box. Those who chose RGB encountered a huge variety of RGB parts from different manufacturers who provide different software.

Buying parts that are supported by the same software is often difficult and can cost several hundred bucks more. Everyone wants to sync their RGB and nobody wants to have multiple RGB control programs running in the Background. Besides, there is a massive community of Linux users who in most cases aren't even supported.

We all need an unified cross platform RGB controller to get rid of that mess. Either you, the computer manufacturers collaborate and unite the RGB world or we, the users work together and develop our own open-source RGB software.

<links removed>

I hope together we can unite RGB!

Edited by Spotty
Removed links

Personally I have a strong dislike for all the RGB programs.

Sure, if you RGB has many many effects, interacts with games/music, etc. it has a reason to exist.

But please PLEASE I just want RGB for single color stuff; if I was able to set that from a single program, that would be great!!

"So, our goal today is to determine whether the waifu is hot" - Steve, Gamers Nexus

"There's no such thing as perfect. You're beautiful as you are Courage. With all your imperfections you can do anything." - Bathtub Barracuda

"Wish i could find a way to stop the pain.         -         Besides the one that i keep thinking of."

My gear:                    

Spoiler

PC:

The brains: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 ||

The torso: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon ||

Short term memory: 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz ||

Pixel pusher: EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC Gaming || 

Where I store memes: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB || 

Un-heater: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 ||

Carboard box: Thermaltake Core G21 TG ||

Power squid: Corsair RM750x ||

Peripherals:

Sound helmet: Beyerdynamic DT-990 250 Ohm ||

Clickity-clack (sadly not clicky :() : Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB ||

Return the (drawing) slab! : Wacom Intuos Pen Small (2015) ||

Rodent: Asus ROG Gladius ||

Cloth for rodent: CM Storm Swift-RX XXL ||

Old PC:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 255 || Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO || RAM: 4x2GB DDR3 || GPU: Nvidia Quadro 512MB || Case: Antec Sonata III || PSU: Antec Earthwatts 500W Bronze

Setup: Current setup

Would you use X instead of Y if X was better in every single way possible?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.4GHz @ 1.36V (courtesy of @XR6) Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Monitor: Dell G2410T and two Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: Dell AT101 GYUM97SK with white Alps and Lite-on SK-2002 keycaps Mousepad: Steelseries QcK Headset:  Sennheiser HD598SE

I like old-ass keyboards, Volvos, Thinkpads, and fountain pens.

I'll leave this here, it just about covers this topic perfectly...

standards.png

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB NVMe | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Windows 10 Pro X64 |

Server:-

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B running OMV Arrakis and an 8TB Seagate USB 3.0 external HDD

Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Murasaki said:

No offence but change.org is as effective as snake oil, in almost all cases at least.

Ik thats why i made the github project

This is why I get non-RGB components as much as I can. The only RGB component I have on my system right now is the Cooler Master 212 Hyper black edition fan and the subtle RGB light on my Palit Nvidia GTX1060 logo.

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

Meh, I prefer to stay in total darkness. LEDs have no place in computer cases. Keyboards are the only place they truly belong as far as computers goes IMO.

But it is true that there are way too many RGB softwares from the various vendors. They really should make their software open source or something so that someone out there can make a software that hook 'em all on the same interface if needs be....

Or really, just buy hardware that's using a single RGB software instead of multiple ones next time..... Or don't buy into the RGB scam to begin with.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I consider this a push poll so I did not vote.  Am I tired of them?  Yes. I’m not tired of them because I want RGB unification though.  I’m tired of them because I think RGB is stupid.

this seems to be an attempt to take the people who don’t like RGB at all (of which there are many) and attempt to masquerade them as people who want more RGB.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I'll leave this here, it just about covers this topic perfectly...

standards.png

D14C4C7D-732F-4F90-89F4-96FB7D8F151B.png

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

8 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

there should be an option to ban rgb all together!

....not unite it

maybe just leave white led's and call it a day, getting rid of everything else except white

... and make them get off my lawn!

seriously though, For people who do not consider PCs show pieces RGB is literally a disadvantage.  People can have it, but I don’t want overhead for it forced onto my machine.

Eh, it doesn't bother me. That's why I have RAM, to be used. If I was to get a bunch of RGB products, then I'd make sure they worked together. Cost is just part of that. 

25 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

there should be an option to ban rgb all together!

....not unite it

maybe just leave white led's and call it a day, getting rid of everything else except white

Why? Because you don't like the fact others have choice? 

14 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

... and make them get off my lawn!

seriously though, For people who do not consider PCs show pieces RGB is literally a disadvantage.  People can have it, but I don’t want overhead for it forced onto my machine.

It's not a disadvantage at all. It's not like it leeches performance, and it's not like there aren't alternatives for you to buy. Your bitching is needless. 

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

7 minutes ago, dizmo said:It's not a disadvantage at all. It's not like it leeches performance, and it's not like there aren't alternatives for you to buy. Your bitching is needless. 

A performance disadvantage? No.  But visually It can be a disadvantage.  Shiney blinking lights where you don’t want them are annoying.  Try using an RGB monster case to watch a movie with a video projector ina living room.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

A performance disadvantage? No.  But visually It can be a disadvantage.  Shiney blinking lights where you don’t want them are annoying.  Try using an RGB monster case to watch a movie with a video projector ina living room.

So...turn them off...or hey, here's an idea, if you don't like RGB parts, don't buy them in the first place.

Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

38 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

its not a piece of art, its a machine!

The entire industry of industrial design has whole museums dedicated to proving that false.  

That said an RGB case is almost always really really bad art.  It can be strongly argued that really really bad art is worse than no art.  The entire industry of concrete lawn ornaments has proven that true imho.

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

So...turn them off...or hey, here's an idea, if you don't like RGB parts, don't buy them in the first place.

Oh I don’t.  I’m not even trying to stop other people from buying them, though I reserve the right to point and laugh.

what is irritating is when I can’t not get RGB, or when I am forced to pay for an RGB controller in some way, like having one run by default eating my processor cycles in the background.

if it doesn't have a functional purpose for being there I don't seek it out. With that being said I have upgraded a few components recently all on sale which included RGB; monitor, mouse, GPU. In small quantities RGB isn't offensive but I find RGB fans and strips to be over the top, you're paying more at that point for no performance advantage.   

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

not sure why i cant delete your quote, but i will type my response here.

oh now i am out of the quote

anywho

op question is

1. Are you tired of multiple RGB programs running in the background?

so yeah some are tired of rgb all together

some love rgb

to each their own

i'd rather spend more money on components that matter, then as kid rock says flash and flair

humans are easily hypnotized by flashy lights.

3 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

if it doesn't have a functional purpose for being there I don't seek it out. With that being said I have upgraded a few components recently all on sale which included RGB; monitor, mouse, GPU. In small quantities RGB isn't offensive but I find RGB fans and strips to be over the top, you're paying more at that point for no performance advantage.   

I go a bit farther myself but I agree.  I’ll paint the garbage out of I can’t turn it off.  It can glow all it wants if I don’t have to look at it.  Gesso is quite opaque.  It’s got stone powder in it (the good stuff anyway)

3 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

oh now i am out of the quote

anywho

op question is

1. Are you tired of multiple RGB programs running in the background?

so yeah some are tired of rgb all together

some love rgb

to each their own

i'd rather spend more money on components that matter, then as kid rock says flash and flair

humans are easily hypnotized by flashy lights.

Hence my comment.  I didn’t like the way the poll was worded, and felt a result could be used as false evidence.

I wouldn't mind multiple RGB ecosystems if they did just one thing: device memory. It's ludicrous that very few RGB capable devices, at least those that aren't peripherals, have device memory such that I don't need their software running all the time. Unless the main issue is they issue RGB light strips that are dumb and constantly need the computer to tell it what to do. In which case those manufacturers are incompetent.

And what's really weird, some of the software they use requires admin rights. Why? You mean to tell me they can't make a usermode USB driver to talk to an RGB strip but they have to use something lower level such that it needs admin rights to modify?

Actually you know what, uniting RGB standards is the least of our worries.