Need Help finding a Hard Drive for my PC.

Alovon11

Does anyone have sub-100$ recommendations for a Hard Drive?

I've read reviews about Seagate's Barracuda drives as of late and it seems they die/go bad about a year after purchase.

RN I'm thinking between the FireCuda 2TB (The 3.5in 7200rpm version), and the Toshiba X300 4TB.

Does anyone know how reliable/long term viable those drives are and if the Hybrid-Drive nature of the FireCuda is worth the 2TB loss for a similar price?

For note, I my current system is

Ryzen 5 3600

GTX 1070 (Will Replace with a 2070 Super by/around Black Friday)
16 GB RAM

128 GB Samsung 840 (OS Drive)

512 GB Saberent M.2 Drive (Games that I play often/need fast load times on)

So, any recommendations?

Also, Sub-Note, Dark Souls 3 and FFXIV Keep CTDing with no Errors, and I turned off/deleted the page file on my OS Drive and made the Page file on my Saberent the only one on the System, yet it's still happening.

If anyone can help on that issue, unless if it's just "When you get the Hard Drive, make a Page file on there, then delete the one on the Saberent", it would be helpful (It would be helpful if that is the one solution though)

Unless you're booting off of that drive, don't get a FireCuda. You'll be paying a lot more for less storage. 

14 minutes ago, Alovon11 said:

Does anyone have sub-100$ recommendations for a Hard Drive?

I've read reviews about Seagate's Barracuda drives as of late and it seems they die/go bad about a year after purchase.

RN I'm thinking between the FireCuda 2TB (The 3.5in 7200rpm version), and the Toshiba X300 4TB.

Does anyone know how reliable/long term viable those drives are and if the Hybrid-Drive nature of the FireCuda is worth the 2TB loss for a similar price?

For note, I my current system is

Ryzen 5 3600

GTX 1070 (Will Replace with a 2070 Super by/around Black Friday)
16 GB RAM

128 GB Samsung 840 (OS Drive)

512 GB Saberent M.2 Drive (Games that I play often/need fast load times on)

So, any recommendations?

Also, Sub-Note, Dark Souls 3 and FFXIV Keep CTDing with no Errors, and I turned off/deleted the page file on my OS Drive and made the Page file on my Saberent the only one on the System, yet it's still happening.

If anyone can help on that issue, unless if it's just "When you get the Hard Drive, make a Page file on there, then delete the one on the Saberent", it would be helpful (It would be helpful if that is the one solution though)

get the Toshiba X300 4TB because it bench marked

image.thumb.png.02aac7eae05fcc425652bd3d00f2b67c.png

7 minutes ago, jamman2019 said:

get the Toshiba X300 4TB because it bench marked

image.thumb.png.02aac7eae05fcc425652bd3d00f2b67c.png

So, does that mean it's reliable? Or does it mean it's fast

Wait for Black Friday and see what goes on sale. You'll be able to grab a much nicer, or larger hard drive for the same price.

I honestly wouldn't trust Usermark...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

27 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Wait for Black Friday and see what goes on sale. You'll be able to grab a much nicer, or larger hard drive for the same price.

I honestly wouldn't trust Usermark...

Yeah, although I have looked and "apparently" The Toshiba is reliable, but wanted to ask a forum like this one

2 minutes ago, Alovon11 said:

Yeah, although I have looked and "apparently" The Toshiba is reliable, but wanted to ask a forum like this one

You might want to look into Western Digital Black drives as well. Been using several 1TB and 2TB models for several years. The 2TB WD Black on my main PC has been with me for almost 5 years now .

The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

10 minutes ago, Xiee said:

You might want to look into Western Digital Black drives as well. Been using several 1TB and 2TB models for several years. The 2TB WD Black on my main PC has been with me for almost 5 years now .

Well, all their Black Drives, especially the 2TB Model are over 100

1 minute ago, Alovon11 said:

Well, all their Black Drives, especially the 2TB Model are over 100

Wait for black friday sales. If you're lucky you might get 20% - 40% discounts on them on Amazon or Newegg.

Imho, paying for extra is worth it in the long run since they're of good quality and last a long time. 

私はオタクではありません。

23 minutes ago, Alovon11 said:

I remember there being QC issues with the X300 drives, though I'm not sure what capacity that was for...

19 minutes ago, Xiee said:

WD Blacks tend to be pretty loud though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

My experience says Seagate Barracuda are the best out there, I stay away from WD.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

WD Blacks tend to be pretty loud though.

I hardly notice it nor noticed any noise ever since I started using mine a few years ago. 

私はオタクではありません。

The ABSOLUTE cheapest way to get a good drive is to shuck a WD Easystore/Essentials desktop external HDD. The 8TB model and up is guaranteed to have a WD "White Label", which is in all ways but appearance a WD Red. I have personally benchmarked my WD White at higher performance than a Red, at that.

You WILL need to use a Sata -> Molex power adapter, but that is hardly an issue.

This is the drive: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

EDIT: Currently the 10TB is the same price as the 8TB!

I would like to add, no matter who you ask they will have anecdotal evidence against brand X and for brand Y. I personally have had nothing but horrid luck with Seagate drives and some of my best with WD, but @NineEyeRon has experienced the opposite. Hitachi, Toshiba, WD, and Seagate are all fantastic top class manufacturers and you cannot go wrong with anything but "Economy" hard drives like the WD Green.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは