Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alovon11

Need Help finding a Hard Drive for my PC.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Does anyone have sub-100$ recommendations for a Hard Drive?

I've read reviews about Seagate's Barracuda drives as of late and it seems they die/go bad about a year after purchase.

 

RN I'm thinking between the FireCuda 2TB (The 3.5in 7200rpm version), and the Toshiba X300 4TB.

Does anyone know how reliable/long term viable those drives are and if the Hybrid-Drive nature of the FireCuda is worth the 2TB loss for a similar price?

 

For note, I my current system is

Ryzen 5 3600

GTX 1070 (Will Replace with a 2070 Super by/around Black Friday)
16 GB RAM

128 GB Samsung 840 (OS Drive)

512 GB Saberent M.2 Drive (Games that I play often/need fast load times on)

 

So, any recommendations?

Also, Sub-Note, Dark Souls 3 and FFXIV Keep CTDing with no Errors, and I turned off/deleted the page file on my OS Drive and made the Page file on my Saberent the only one on the System, yet it's still happening.

If anyone can help on that issue, unless if it's just "When you get the Hard Drive, make a Page file on there, then delete the one on the Saberent", it would be helpful (It would be helpful if that is the one solution though)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you're booting off of that drive, don't get a FireCuda. You'll be paying a lot more for less storage. 


Main Machine: Lenovo ThinkCentre | Intel Core i5-4430 (4C,4T, 3GHz) | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 (4x 4GB) | 500GB Seagate 2.5" 7200RPM | Intel HD 4600 | Windows 8.1 Professional x64

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Alovon11 said:

Does anyone have sub-100$ recommendations for a Hard Drive?

I've read reviews about Seagate's Barracuda drives as of late and it seems they die/go bad about a year after purchase.

 

RN I'm thinking between the FireCuda 2TB (The 3.5in 7200rpm version), and the Toshiba X300 4TB.

Does anyone know how reliable/long term viable those drives are and if the Hybrid-Drive nature of the FireCuda is worth the 2TB loss for a similar price?

 

For note, I my current system is

Ryzen 5 3600

GTX 1070 (Will Replace with a 2070 Super by/around Black Friday)
16 GB RAM

128 GB Samsung 840 (OS Drive)

512 GB Saberent M.2 Drive (Games that I play often/need fast load times on)

 

So, any recommendations?

Also, Sub-Note, Dark Souls 3 and FFXIV Keep CTDing with no Errors, and I turned off/deleted the page file on my OS Drive and made the Page file on my Saberent the only one on the System, yet it's still happening.

If anyone can help on that issue, unless if it's just "When you get the Hard Drive, make a Page file on there, then delete the one on the Saberent", it would be helpful (It would be helpful if that is the one solution though)

get the Toshiba X300 4TB because it bench marked

image.thumb.png.02aac7eae05fcc425652bd3d00f2b67c.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, jamman2019 said:

get the Toshiba X300 4TB because it bench marked

image.thumb.png.02aac7eae05fcc425652bd3d00f2b67c.png

 

So, does that mean it's reliable? Or does it mean it's fast

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait for Black Friday and see what goes on sale. You'll be able to grab a much nicer, or larger hard drive for the same price.

I honestly wouldn't trust Usermark...

 


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
27 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Wait for Black Friday and see what goes on sale. You'll be able to grab a much nicer, or larger hard drive for the same price.

I honestly wouldn't trust Usermark...

 

Yeah, although I have looked and "apparently" The Toshiba is reliable, but wanted to ask a forum like this one

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alovon11 said:

Yeah, although I have looked and "apparently" The Toshiba is reliable, but wanted to ask a forum like this one

You might want to look into Western Digital Black drives as well. Been using several 1TB and 2TB models for several years. The 2TB WD Black on my main PC has been with me for almost 5 years now .


The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, Xiee said:

You might want to look into Western Digital Black drives as well. Been using several 1TB and 2TB models for several years. The 2TB WD Black on my main PC has been with me for almost 5 years now .

Well, all their Black Drives, especially the 2TB Model are over 100

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alovon11 said:

Well, all their Black Drives, especially the 2TB Model are over 100

Wait for black friday sales. If you're lucky you might get 20% - 40% discounts on them on Amazon or Newegg.


Imho, paying for extra is worth it in the long run since they're of good quality and last a long time. 


The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Alovon11 said:

Yeah, although I have looked and "apparently" The Toshiba is reliable, but wanted to ask a forum like this one

I remember there being QC issues with the X300 drives, though I'm not sure what capacity that was for...

19 minutes ago, Xiee said:

You might want to look into Western Digital Black drives as well. Been using several 1TB and 2TB models for several years. The 2TB WD Black on my main PC has been with me for almost 5 years now .

WD Blacks tend to be pretty loud though.


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My experience says Seagate Barracuda are the best out there, I stay away from WD.


i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dizmo said:

WD Blacks tend to be pretty loud though.

I hardly notice it nor noticed any noise ever since I started using mine a few years ago. 


The deep blue sky is infinitely high and crystal clear.

私はオタクではありません。

Link to post
Share on other sites

The ABSOLUTE cheapest way to get a good drive is to shuck a WD Easystore/Essentials desktop external HDD. The 8TB model and up is guaranteed to have a WD "White Label", which is in all ways but appearance a WD Red. I have personally benchmarked my WD White at higher performance than a Red, at that.

 

You WILL need to use a Sata -> Molex power adapter, but that is hardly an issue.

 

This is the drive: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-easystore-8tb-external-usb-3-0-hard-drive-black/5792401.p?skuId=5792401

 

EDIT: Currently the 10TB is the same price as the 8TB!

 

I would like to add, no matter who you ask they will have anecdotal evidence against brand X and for brand Y. I personally have had nothing but horrid luck with Seagate drives and some of my best with WD, but @NineEyeRon has experienced the opposite. Hitachi, Toshiba, WD, and Seagate are all fantastic top class manufacturers and you cannot go wrong with anything but "Economy" hard drives like the WD Green.


Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, CoolerMaster, GSkill (RAM only)

 

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

 

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

 

Motherboard Tier List

Spoiler

 

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: Early 2014 Macbook Air. Intel i5-4260U, 4GB RAM, 128GB Apple PCI-E SSD, Intel HD Graphics 5000

Phones: iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 6s, iPhone 5s, iPhone 3GS x2. Lots more in parts.

 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $200.00) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H50 57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Motherboard: MSI Z370M GAMING PRO AC Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Monitor: Dell U2417H 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Monitor: LG 34UM69G-B 34.0" 2560x1080 75 Hz Monitor  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Custom: Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evolution Nvidia Edition  (Purchased For $60.00)
Total: $1395.00

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×