Welcome home, John - Microsoft ending cortana support for iOS and Android

williamcll
26 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

Lots of cars have that too. I've found AA's Google Assistant is far better than the Subaru Starlink voice command system. 

Yes, but they tend to suck.

Oh that's sad. I actually liked Cortana when I was using a Windows Phone. She was really fun to talk with and had a great natural speech, at a time when Android and iOS assistants still sounded robotic. 

I hope they keep it optional on Windows 10 though.

The most I've used any assistant was Google assistant on the hire car I've just had in the US that had Android Auto. It worked really well in 2 1/2 weeks except for 3 occasions where I'm pretty sure something crashed as it didn't update location until the car had been switched off for a bit. This wasn't the greatest, but I generally needed fuel anyway, so didn't really matter. Also, pretty sure it was the Uconnect system in the actual car that crashed, as Google maps still worked fine on my phone. Other than that, I basically only use Google Asst for asking the upcoming weather occasionally or setting an alarm/timer. I think I've used Cortana once for shits and giggles when I first installed Win 10, and it took me to a Bing search and subsequently never used it again.

my boss bought some intel nucs that had preinstalled windows 10 but it was the american installer version so it started off using cortana.

holy shizzle that was annoying and since i had just plugged in a new monitor straight out of the box aswell it ended up blasting in the office whilst i had to figure out how to shut her up.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Tegos said:

Cortana would've been fine if she just...worked a bit better.

They should of replaced Cortana with Tay, i have no use for a voice assistant anywhere in my life, but a occasional splash of politically incorrect robotic rambling, now that woulda been a service i could of got behind.  

think of all the Epstein jokes she'd be rambling off if she could of lived to see this day ?

2 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

They should of replaced Cortana with Tay, i have no use for a voice assistant anywhere in my life, but a occasional splash of politically incorrect robotic rambling, now that woulda been a service i could of got behind.  

think of all the Epstein jokes she'd be rambling off if she could of lived to see this day ?

I'm pretty Tay right now is either some black rapper or a hard-line republican redneck. Exposing her to twitter was a major disaster.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

On 11/17/2019 at 12:26 PM, Teddy07 said:

Come on, Windows 10 is their best OS. Why the hate?

7 feels better on most fronts IMO. Ran it on a rig I built this weekend, I forgot how good it is. UI is fresh and clean, updates are logically set up, all the settings are in one place, etc. Only things I really missed is automatically offering to snap a second window if I snap one to half the screen, and being able to scroll in an app without having it selected. That's pretty much it, I guess Windows 10 using a PIN is pretty convenient but typing in my password takes barely longer so that's neither here nor there. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch