Clarification on Multi-Channel Sound Card and Headphones Compatibility

TechnicGeek

Hello,

I was browsing online shop and saw headphones. One with 5.1 surround sound and another with 7.1 THX sound.

I have a few questions:

1. If I have 7.1 THX headset, must I also have onboard 7.1 channel sound card to make 7.1 THX work on headset?

2. If I don't have onboard 7.1 channel sound card, what/how many channels will I hear in 7.1 THX headset?

3. Let's suppose I have RealTek 5.1 surround sound card on my motherboard. With 7.1 THX headset will I hear 5.1 surround sound?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, TechnicGeek said:

1. If I have 7.1 THX headset, must I also have onboard 7.1 channel sound card to make 7.1 THX work on headset?

Depends on whether the headset uses analog 3.5mm connectors or if it uses USB; if it uses USB, it already includes a USB-soundcard and your mobo's soundcard isn't used.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, TechnicGeek said:

Hello,

I was browsing online shop and saw headphones. One with 5.1 surround sound and another with 7.1 THX sound.

I have a few questions:

2. If I don't have onboard 7.1 channel sound card, what/how many channels will I hear in 7.1 THX headset?

3. Let's suppose I have RealTek 5.1 surround sound card on my motherboard. With 7.1 THX headset will I hear 5.1 surround sound?

Thanks.

First of all  it's all virtual suround sound the numbers are meaningless and somewhat falseadvering ish. It's mean to improve your binaural perception  while using only 2 speakers on with your and on with your right you can never get pro 5.1 or 7.1 suround unless you have 5 or 7 speaker physically around you. Just use hesuvi you will get basically the same outcome.