PSU, bigger and cheaper, should I buy?

Palooon

Hi,

I've got Thermaltake tt se 530W PSU for almost 6 years. There was never an issue with it and it gives me enough power, but i lost cables to it. Right now I power my gpu with one 8pin from psu and 6pin from 2 molexes. Works good, but the asthetics are not there :)

So I went through some posts here and tier list as well. Corsair RM750x caught my attention.

I started searching in shops in my country and i found that I can get Corsair RM850x for ~140$ (same price for RM550x in this shop). So I've been thinking is there any downside to having a lot of unsed wattage, apart from cost of psu, which in this case doesn't apply - u basically get 300w for free and more cables!

My rig should use around 300-400w in max stress (gtx 1080Ti and xeon e1231v3).

Cheers

Nope. In actuality it will put you near the most efficient area of a PSU under load, which is usually between 45-50% load. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Have you looked at other PSUs than the RMx? A downside would just be that it's slightly less safe, since it lacks multi rail OCP. But other than that, it's fine.

Completely ignore what anyone says about any difference in efficiency, as there will be close to none. Check actual numbers on Cybenetics.

:)

Yes, I looked at Evga G2 - but I read that while its components are slightly better quality, it's also louder than RMx. I also checked out Fractal Design Ion+ which is platinium cert, but I read on tomshardware review that it's not that great of psu - its "only" good. And paying more to get 1% better efficiency will pay off maybe after 20 years and won't generate significantly less heat, so I don't see any point investing in it.

All in all, when it comes to price, RMx with discount from that shop is like 30-50$ cheaper than those two.

EDIT: There is also a Corsair HX 750W for 10$ more...

2 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Nope. In actuality it will put you near the most efficient area of a PSU under load, which is usually between 45-50% load. 

This is false as it varies from model to model. Some PSUs are most efficient at 30% loads (Like the Corsair AX1600i) and some PSUs are more efficient at 80% loads. There are some PSUs that are most efficient under 50%, but it's certainly not all PSUs.

Now this honestly doesn't matter as it's more efficient by a bit less than 1%

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

1 hour ago, Palooon said:

Yes, I looked at Evga G2 - but I read that while its components are slightly better quality, it's also louder than RMx. I also checked out Fractal Design Ion+ which is platinium cert, but I read on tomshardware review that it's not that great of psu - its "only" good. And paying more to get 1% better efficiency will pay off maybe after 20 years and won't generate significantly less heat, so I don't see any point investing in it.

All in all, when it comes to price, RMx with discount from that shop is like 30-50$ cheaper than those two.

EDIT: There is also a Corsair HX 750W for 10$ more...

Another PSU to consider is the Bitfenix Whisper M, which is better than the G2 and the RMx.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.