German Network Agency says 56 KBit/s is a functional internet connection.

Nicnac

This is just hilarious: The German federal network agency calls an internet connection with 56 KBit/s "functional".

The background here is that ISDN connections will be switched off in the process of migrating the IP system (towards VDSL). As a result many people will have no proper internet connection because the infrastructure just isn't there. This primarily affects people in the rural areas of Germany.

They now issued a statement that 56 KBit/s are a functional internet connection. But it gets even better: Telekom doesn't have to provide service at all. There is no legal framework that forces them to replace people's internet connection or offer an alternative. So I guess you're lucky if you get 56 KBit/s. For comparison: just loading the complains form of the federal network agency would take about 9 minutes on a connection like that.

Under the current regime, 'functional Internet access' means narrowband
 Internet access. The Universal Service Directive of 7 March 2002 names 56 kbps. 
There is no legal basis for obliging companies to provide end users with broadband Internet connections.

Source (German)

I think this is hilarious and just another example of how unplanned, clumsy and inept the expansion of broadband internet within Germany is taking place.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

As a German, I approve this. Our government is just too damn stupid to build a proper broadband internet. Not even in bigger cities I'm afraid. 

Edit: just to give you some perspective, just a couple years ago (like 2-4 years I don't remember) the German chancellor, Angela Merkel, said "The internet is virigin territory for all of us"... 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I agree that 56 Kbps is nowhere near usable in today's Internet. But I'm not quite sure I get the point of the article. They're talking about switching off ISDN. If someone is still using ISDN, they're already limited to 64 Kbps (or 128 Kbps with bundling). So providing some form of universal access at 56 Kbps isn't that much slower than what those people already had to content with.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

18 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

I agree that 56 Kbps is nowhere near usable in today's Internet. But I'm not quite sure I get the point of the article. They're talking about switching off ISDN. If someone is still using ISDN, they're already limited to 64 Kbps (or 128 Kbps with bundling). So providing some form of universal access at 56 Kbps isn't that much slower than what those people already had to content with.

I think it just illustrates the technological backward-ness we suffer from rn. 

Still having ISDN as the only internet connection and then having THAT switched off must be a special kind of pain...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

Well to be fair, it is probably going to feel and be faster than mobile internet in our area (seriously, what kind of...mentally challenged...person, puts a tower at the bottom of a hill in a valley)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I wouldn't disagree. It is not fast but it is functional. 

If you want to talk politics about whether governments should force private companies to provide a certain service, no problem, I don't think that's what this article is about?

Good to see the German government has about as much sense as the US government does when it comes to internet.

That being said, I'm still shocked that Century Link managed to get 20mbps out to where I used to live. Only after I had moved of course. The driveway was 7/10th's of a mile long ffs.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I absolutely hate that 60 year old German politicians who have no idea about the internet whatsoever together with the Telecom and their stupid plans to now introduce “super vectoring” instead of just using fibre cables are setting us behind in digitalization by light years.

It’s legit driving me mad.

I used to have mobile plan with 2GB data and no extra charge when using more, which meant 2GB of full speed data and when you got past that it went 64kbps. Lets just say it was so slow most webpages or apps didn't even load any data when you requested it. And that was several years ago. Saying 56kbit (for all that are too young, that's the speed of squeaking analogue modems from 20 years ago) is enough is straight up absurd and I would never expect this idiocy coming from Germany of all countries.

What I'd consider a necessity today is at least 1Mbps. Sure it's still shit, but this is what could be considered as essential bottom line to at least send e-mails or view news or something. Realistically, anything under 10Mbps is pretty much useless today.

Maybe you shouldn't call yourself a first world country if you don't have fast internet.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

Maybe you shouldn't call yourself a first world country if you don't have fast internet.

We feel like we are too well off so we desperatly try to lower standards wherever possible. Also, let's introduce a whole lot of regulation that makes everything more expensive and everyone miserable. but that's another topic...

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

So the Government in Germany is not forcing a private company to do something?

Gud. *in my best German accent*

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Whilst the UK is making it legislation that 10/1Mbps is the absolute minimum by early 2020 :) 

10Mbps ain't no blazing speeds but it's more than decent enough for a non-intensive household. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

44 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

So the Government in Germany is not forcing a private company to do something?

Gud. *in my best German accent*

The logical extension to this argument would be that the government should not interfere if they chose not to provide any internet at all while holding on to the cable laying concessions they were granted specifically so they could provide connectivity to the population.

You don't get to complain about the government enforcing minimum service standards when your business revolves around getting special permissions from the government.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Whilst the UK is making it legislation that 10/1Mbps is the absolute minimum by early 2020 :) 

10Mbps ain't no blazing speeds but it's more than decent enough for a non-intensive household. 

1Mbps upload is pretty damn slow though. That means over a minute to upload a single high quality picture taken from a modern phone. That might have been ok 10 years ago, nowadays it's snail pace.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

1Mbps upload is pretty damn slow though. That means over a minute to upload a single high quality picture taken from a modern phone. That might have been ok 10 years ago, nowadays it's snail pace.

coming from the perspective of what should be affordable for even really poor people, 10mbps sounds like a good number to me.

It's enough to do very basic tasks, albeit with a bit of a wait. it needs to be really cheap though.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

coming from the perspective of what should be affordable for even really poor people, 10mbps sounds like a good number to me.

It's enough to do very basic tasks, albeit with a bit of a wait. it needs to be really cheap though.

We subsidize the industry in the states. There is no reason to charge $60 for 100/100 when it's our money they're double-dipping. 

I hope every German riots/strikes against this decision. Things need to move quickly these days since ceding ground will be hard to reacquire. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

But that's the thing, 10Mb/s isn't some sort of free baseline that everyone gets; the ISP decides what they offer and how much it costs. The minimum requirement just means that if they sell it as "broadband" it can't be any slower than that, it says nothing about what a reasonable price for it would be nor how much they should offer to people who are willing to pay more. If you're unlucky enough to live in an area that is only covered by one ISP they could demand 200£/month for 10/1 and have no faster offers, and you'd be forced to pay for it even just to do your job in a lot of cases.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

https://www.highspeedinternet.com/providers/rural

sure its the usa but ....

Like gas and electricity, the internet is essential to modern life. Yet many areas of the country are underserved, in part because of the cost involved in building networks that reach every home in America. Government subsidies help providers deliver broadband service to some rural areas, but a new generation of satellite internet coming in 2020 may solve connectivity problems without the need for installing hardwired networks. In the meantime, don’t lose hope! If you live in a rural area, you may have more options than you think.

Germany has not as vast expanse of country then the usa does, or canada.

Good case study here, from 2018

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-19-44A1.pdf?kbid=110971&utm_source=highspeedinternet.com&utm_medium=affiliate

Capture.thumb.PNG.c4038d018d58e8cd81f228e2c6053798.PNG

Looks like Tribal lands are getting screwed over, but its close to Rural areas.

I will see what I can find for Germany, but my search skillz lack.

well i just went to images and found this, so there are pockets of non high speed internet access. internet is a must in this day in age, especially for poor people/poor families.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.ssbBVnCRJahvWAS6hFrAtgHaD4%26pid%3DApi&f=1

compared to the usa

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.24nHuP-hAPBT3dFzHit3_AHaFa%26pid%3DApi&f=1

and canada, which is xplorenet

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.FgmBZGP6HTCvK7gCY8-7BwHaGD%26pid%3DApi&f=1
Where's the high speed internet in Saskatchewan ...

I would say that Germany has it pretty good. The bonus with Germany is the population is so concentrated.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Fw_MSg9UTDrQXIisF-VlJAHaGb%26pid%3DApi&f=1

be costly to get the entire country connected.

No offense,  but the German government also thought they could replace nuclear power plants with windmills and solar.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.