Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tenma White

How to Completely Delete data from SSD and HDD

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'll be selling my SSD and HDD soon, how do I make sure all the Data is gone and cannot be recovered? I already formatted it but some people say that it is not enough, anyone of you guys can help me out?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Boot n Nuke for the HDD, as for the SSD you could write data over top a few times, but that's about it.


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tenma White said:

image.thumb.png.a11e88d8f1590065f2960e95d8fc2493.pngDo I really have to do this?

Why aren't you downloading the free version.


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tenma White said:

I'll be selling my SSD and HDD soon, how do I make sure all the Data is gone and cannot be recovered? I already formatted it but some people say that it is not enough, anyone of you guys can help me out?

https://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/SSD_Secure_Erase

Formatting it should be good enough in most cases.

Quote

Update as of August 2011: Because an ATA trim will be performed by NTFS with Windows 7 or when formatting using Ext4 from mke2fs 1.41.10 or XFS from xfsprogs 3.1.0, the secure erase procedure is no longer necessary in these cases

 


Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dizmo said:

Boot n Nuke for the HDD, as for the SSD you could write data over top a few times, but that's about it.

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure Boot n Nuke also supports ATA Secure Erase. If not, there are plenty of other utilities that do, and that's what I would use. Apparently some labs have done testing, and on an SSD, Secure Erase is effectively as good as doing multiple overwrites.

 

It tells the controller to force all cells to erase data (I forget the exact mechanism - I believe it has something to do with sending a voltage spike to the cell). And the entire process only takes a couple of minutes. It seems to good to be true, but with the way NAND Flash works, it does make sense.


For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure Boot n Nuke also supports ATA Secure Erase. If not, there are plenty of other utilities that do, and that's what I would use. Apparently some labs have done testing, and on an SSD, Secure Erase is effectively as good as doing multiple overwrites.

 

It tells the controller to force all cells to erase data (I forget the exact mechanism - I believe it has something to do with sending a voltage spike to the cell). And the entire process only takes a couple of minutes. It seems to good to be true, but with the way NAND Flash works, it does make sense.

Ahhh nice. I haven't used it in...probably a decade. Though I remember back then it was specifically not to be used for SSDs.


Current PC:

Spoiler

*WORK IN PROGRESS*

 

Mothballed PC:

Spoiler

 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Ahhh nice. I haven't used it in...probably a decade. Though I remember back then it was specifically not to be used for SSDs.

It's changed since then. I don't even bother with Secure Erase on HDD's because it's already going to be fucking slow, might as well use DBAN and do a proper 3 or 7 pass.

 

But for SSD's, it's basically perfect for them. I've used it a handful of times at work (We don't get a lot of SSD's passing through - been hoping to change that over the last couple years), and it seems to work well.


For Sale - iPhone SE 32GB - Unlocked - Rose GoldSold

Spoiler

 

 

* Intel i7-4770K * ASRock Z97 Anniversary * 16GB RAM * 750w Seasonic Modular PSU *

* Crucial M4 128GB SSD (Primary) * Hitachi 500GB HDD (Secondary) *

* Gigabyte HD 7950 WF3 * SATA Blu-Ray Writer * Logitech g710+ * Windows 10 Pro x64 *

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×