Can an Optiplex handle my powerful insertion?

Tech4Dogs

I recently purchased a $75 used Optiplex 390 (i5, 8gb, 500gb hdd, Windows 10) to use as a HPTC for my bedroom. After getting the Optiplex setup I realized I have a extra GTX 980 in my closet from a few years ago.  Installing the 980 in the Optiplex should work but the stock PSU is only 270w and the 980 recommends a 500w PSU.

I'm planning to order a 500w SFX PSU ($70) from Newegg but for the time being I'm wondering if I can just install the 980 now. This computer is just for web browsing on a single 1080p monitor so I don't think the 980 will ever needs full power. 

Do I run any risk of damaging components if I install a 500 watt GPU on a 270 watt PSU? or is there some sort of fail safe on the MB or PSU?

Thanks,

Mike

does it even have PCIe power cables to support a 980?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, Fasauceome said:

does it even have PCIe power cables to support a 980?

That's a good point, I will go check. I do have a ton of extra cables from a Corsair AX1000 PSU from my gaming rig. The Optiplex has an extra 16x slot so I just assumed there would be enough female connections in the PSU.

8 minutes ago, Tech4Dogs said:

I do have a ton of extra cables from a Corsair AX1000 PSU from my gaming rig. The Optiplex has an extra 16x slot so I just assumed there would be enough female connections in the PSU.

do you mean you're gonna try using modular cables from your corsair unit on the optiplex unit?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Sorry I should have checked. I assumed the Optiplex PSU would be like my AX1000 in that there would be extra molex connections on the PSU. It's just a single wire harness with no extra connections unless they are inside the casing the PSU which I doubt. 

I guess I'll just have to wait then for the SFX PSU. Thanks for your time.

Mike

37 minutes ago, Tech4Dogs said:

Sorry I should have checked. I assumed the Optiplex PSU would be like my AX1000 in that there would be extra molex connections on the PSU. It's just a single wire harness with no extra connections unless they are inside the casing the PSU which I doubt. 

I guess I'll just have to wait then for the SFX PSU. Thanks for your time.

Mike

yes oem psus are different then after market psus

it is doable to use the atx psus on oem

Get the Optiplex adapter for a Motherboard/PSU plug conversion (if needed) and swap it into another case for the GTX980?

Finding a cheap ATX case shouldn't be hard.. swap and enjoy.

Unless you want the SFF variant size.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Is it a mini tower? My Optiplex 790 mini tower accepted an ATX PSU and the Mobo was already 24 pin.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

3 hours ago, asand1 said:

Is it a mini tower? My Optiplex 790 mini tower accepted an ATX PSU and the Mobo was already 24 pin.

Yeah it's a mini tower. It looks just like the 790 but the io is a little different. The connections all look like they will work. I thought I remember reading some people had trouble fitting a normal sized PSU in the mini towers.

If I had an extra ATX PSU I would try it. I think I might order the SFX because I hope to make mini ITX build in the future and could salvage it from the optiplex build when I'm ready.

6 hours ago, amdorintel said:

interesting on search term " Optiplex adapter for a Motherboard/PSU plug conversion "

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General-Read-Only/ATX-to-Dell-Power-Supply-Converter/td-p/2621768

Thanks, I skimmed the whole article. I didn't know that the older Dells could be fire hazards due to weird OEM connections. I think my Dell is a "newer" one. IT came with Windows 7 from the factory. I think it was built in '07 but I can't confirm if that's what the factory sticker numbers mean.

Here's my build. ATX will fit perfect and plug in to you Mobo, googling your model it seems to ha a 24 pin Mobo.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430