What's a good replacement power supply?

Shadow_Storm56

So before anyone had a chance to wander a guess at my psu problem I found it had just slowly died from corrosion...probably due to the humid as hell summers we have been having. So now I need to find a new one that is as good as the old one but maybe a bit updated and will work with my existing cables that are all neatly in the pc. The dead one was an Evga supernova 1000w P2 and since I opened it expecting a simple fix I assume I lose warranty. So either I can buy another one of them or maybe somthing better even? Is that psu still one of the top ones or has it been replaced? I'm running my PC on a cheap 600w psu I had spare, I can't game or anything because it's a much smaller psu but i can atleast use the pc. Thanks for any advice!

1 hour ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

The dead one was an Evga supernova 1000w P2 and since I opened it expecting a simple fix I assume I lose warranty.

Contact EVGA and try to claim warranty on it. They might still honour the warranty regardless of if you opened it up.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

16 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Contact EVGA and try to claim warranty on it. They might still honour the warranty regardless of if you opened it up.

It essentially corroded because no fan runs and humidity built up moisture. So in future I will turn off eco mode in the summer. I did contact them, I was going to order right away but I found a spare 600w supply that will just barely keep the pc going. Draws like 900w at full load. So I'll wait and see what they same before I spend another 400

6 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

It essentially corroded because no fan runs and humidity built up moisture. So in future I will turn off eco mode in the summer. I did contact them, I was going to order right away but I found a spare 600w supply that will just barely keep the pc going. Draws like 900w at full load. So I'll wait and see what they same before I spend another 400

What are your system specs? 

Eco mode only stops the fan from spinning at low loads, in the case of the EVGA P2 1000w it's 40% load (400w). If your system draws 900w the fan should have been spinning.

Does the fan on the power supply fan up in to the case or does it face down and suck up air from below the case?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

What are your system specs? 

Eco mode only stops the fan from spinning at low loads, in the case of the EVGA P2 1000w it's 40% load (400w). If your system draws 900w the fan should have been spinning.

Does the fan on the power supply fan up in to the case or does it face down and suck up air from below the case?

Below the case, I did not want it up incase I spilled when draining the loop. Also in the summer it runs idle alot which is like 235 watts

16 hours ago, Spotty said:

Evga will not honor warranty. So I'm not buying from them again, I thought it had been made illegal to do the warranty void if opened thing? 

Especially since it is blatantly obvious the problem was not caused by me opening it ?

3 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Evga will not honor warranty. So I'm not buying from them again, I thought it had been made illegal to do the warranty void if opened thing? 

Especially since it is blatantly obvious the problem was not caused by me opening it ?

If you live in the US, they have to because of the “right to self repair” law.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

1 hour ago, PSUGuru said:

If you live in the US, they have to because of the “right to self repair” law.

I'm in canada. So im not doing evga again so who's another good company 

Also that's extremely fair, their are many times that things can be fixed easily by an average handyman. I always hated the void warranty thing. 

2 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

I'm in canada. So im not doing evga again so who's another good company 

Also that's extremely fair, their are many times that things can be fixed easily by an average handyman. I always hated the void warranty thing. 

Well, with a PSU, you really need to know what you're doing to repair one.

Corsair is pretty good with their warranties. Maybe try their RMx lineup. If you want to save a little money, their Vengeance Silver is an amazing unit for the price.

Alternatively you could go for the Bitfenix Whisper M, which is an awesome PSU, but I am not sure about how good Bitfenix warranty service is.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

10 minutes ago, PSUGuru said:

Well, with a PSU, you really need to know what you're doing to repair one.

Corsair is pretty good with their warranties. Maybe try their RMx lineup. If you want to save a little money, their Vengeance Silver is an amazing unit for the price.

Alternatively you could go for the Bitfenix Whisper M, which is an awesome PSU, but I am not sure about how good Bitfenix warranty service is.

I literally did nothing but open it, look for a fuse and go oh crap this is toast and that was it lol

Also thanks for the advice it was corsair I went with. 

2 hours ago, torbenscharling said:

Good choice (I think) cause I recently upgraded to SF750 and couldn't be happier :)

Corsair is very good, I only just realized most of the fans on my roof radiator are corsair and they have been going for years in all weather. Also the psu has very nice information and stability. Corsair FTW