Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThatCoolBlueKidd

College laptop

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I start Uni in February (southern hemisphere) and am looking at laptops. The less I spend the better as I'm self financing my whole education.

 

Requirements: 12-14in (15 too big), preferably light.  That's about it. I have a gaming PC to do everything else on so just need something for notes and presentations at Uni. 

 

Options I have thought about so far (converted to usd)

 

Surface Laptop 1(i5/4/128): $620

Surface Pro 5(i5/8/128): $650 w/o KB or pen

Surface Laptop 1(i5/8/256): $740

Surface Pro 6(i5/8/128): $740 w/o KB or pen

Surface Book 1(i5/8/128): $740 all inclusive

Any other laptops?

 

Im not married to the surface lineup and will consider other brands, although I like the idea of writing notes with a pen. A nice build quality would be nice so it could survive 4 years. Im happy with Mac or Windows, Intel or AMD. I would prefer to avoid Huawei/Xiaomi products. What would you pick?


NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

so just need something for notes and presentations at Uni. 

iPad with an Apple Pencil? They have external access to storage now and desktop web browsers and USC-C/ Lighting to adapters for video out are a dime a dozen these days. 
 

Very popular and reliable option for note taking at Uni. 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
32 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

iPad with an Apple Pencil? They have external access to storage now and desktop web browsers and USC-C/ Lighting to adapters for video out are a dime a dozen these days. 
 

Very popular and reliable option for note taking at Uni. 

iPad Pro I assume you mean? I have an iPad Air 2 with iPadOS which obviously isn't as good as the iPad Pro but not sure if iOS is good enough if I want to take typed and written notes together (like a surface with OneNote)


NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

I have an iPad Air 2 with iPadOS which obviously isn't as good as the iPad Pro but not sure if iOS is good enough if I want to take typed and written notes together (like a surface with OneNote)

You would need an iPad capable of using an Apple Pencil, so a 6/7th Gen iPad ($329), an iPad Air (3rd Gen), or an iPad Pro.  

 

For typed notes, you could get a Smart Keyboard Cover (or any 3rd party bluetooth keyboard case) for typed notes and the Apple Pencil will offer a much better handwritten experience than a 2-in-1 convertible laptop. An iPad can run OneNote better than most PCs. 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

You would need an iPad capable of using an Apple Pencil, so a 6/7th Gen iPad ($329), an iPad Air (3rd Gen), or an iPad Pro.  

 

For typed notes, you could get a Smart Keyboard Cover (or any 3rd party bluetooth keyboard case) for typed notes and the Apple Pencil will offer a much better handwritten experience than a 2-in-1 convertible laptop. An iPad can run OneNote better than most PCs. 

At 10.2in though it's a bit small (latest iPad) and the 11in iPad Pro is over the price already for the base model without pencil or keyboard


NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

At 10.2in though it's a bit small (latest iPad) and the 11in iPad Pro is over the price already for the base model without pencil or keyboard

1060 USD for the 11in iPad Pro base model with keyboard and pencil :/


NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

1060 USD for the 11in iPad Pro base model with keyboard and pencil :/

You don't have to get the Pro.

 

10.5" iPad Air 64GB (3rd Gen) - $479

Smart Keyboard for iPad Air - $159

1st Gen Apple Pencil - $89

Total: $727 (Before Taxes)

 

Just use the Apple Education pricing store. 


Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell 27 Gaming Monitor S2719DGF 1440p @155Hz, Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Any other non-apple options?


NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×