AMD is Making Laptops Affordable - Lenovo Flex 14

JonoT

Reserved for insightful comment

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

that chin tho

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Should i Wait for Intel 10 gen? You forgot to mention if the ram is up gradable? I am looking for 2 in one but thought i wait for intel 10 gen cpu.  Also this laptop is only in usa so the uk market its not here yet. 

I really want to see Icelake, Cometlake going head to head against Zen+ mobile CPUs.

Every Surface 3 laptop 15" reviews I read so far. Always ended with "AMD mobile CPU, meh...." "Microsoft should put Intel Icelake in their 15" Surface laptop...."

46 minutes ago, syfer said:

Should i Wait for Intel 10 gen? You forgot to mention if the ram is up gradable? I am looking for 2 in one but thought i wait for intel 10 gen cpu.  Also this laptop is only in usa so the uk market its not here yet. 

I'd assume not upgradeable, but hope someone at LTT can say? @JonoT ?

I'd say this is a nice budget option, and not to wait for 10th gen if you need an upgrade... if you don't need an upgrade can wait 12 months for another Ryzen refresh/upgrade to Ryzen 2+/3. :P

2 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

I'd assume not upgradeable, but hope someone at LTT can say? @JonoT ?

I'd say this is a nice budget option, and not to wait for 10th gen if you need an upgrade... if you don't need an upgrade can wait 12 months for another Ryzen refresh/upgrade to Ryzen 2+/3. :P

Yep, you can with one Dimm, the rest is soldered 

Is AMD for Poor People?

Why is AMD the Budget Option for Gamers?

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

1 hour ago, SkyHound0202 said:

Why is AMD the Budget Option for Gamers?

Because they charge a reasonable/fair amount for their products. Society (we live in one) sees you as poor if you can't buy the most expensive thing, regardless of actual value. That's why Apple does so well, it's a status symbol. Intel is also a status symbol. People feel more proud to say "I own an iPhone" or "I own an Intel based computer". They don't care that there's far better value out there, they don't care that they can save hundreds or thousands. They simply care about shiny. Elitism, as it's called.

Why is intel core I5 8250U used instead of core i5 8265U in the comparison?

also what about those new 10th gen cpu from intel

17 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Why is intel core I5 8250U used instead of core i5 8265U in the comparison?

also what about those new 10th gen cpu from intel

Wanted to compare the Intel vs. AMD versions of this laptop.  I don't there there are currently any 10th gen Intel chips in budget laptops (although that will probably change soon).

Wow, may I replace my x201 / T410 / W520 for a E495 with this CPU.

"Battery is rated for 8h" - did you have test results what to expect in reality - office, remote desktop, surfing youtube (all the non gaming tasks)?

2 hours ago, JonoT said:

Yep, you can with one Dimm, the rest is soldered 

So what's the max RAM capacity?

Hey! The Amazon link is $50 more than the video advertises, and it only has 8Gb of ram, not 12Gb like in the video.

i currently have this exact laptop. what in the hell was he talking about with chipset drivers? i updated the bios but all there is under chipset is intelligent thermal solutions and a mouse cursor fix. anybody know?

38 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

So what's the max RAM capacity?

max ram capacity would be 20gb or 18gb useable, if you were to put a 16gb stick in there. i currently have 12gb, 10gb useable in mine. i couldnt bear with having less than 8gb of ram in any computer i own. lol

21 minutes ago, N0cturnalHD said:

i currently have this exact laptop. what in the hell was he talking about with chipset drivers? i updated the bios but all there is under chipset is intelligent thermal solutions and a mouse cursor fix. anybody know?

Not sure if this is the correct model but here's this: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/flex-series/ideapad-flex-14-notebook/downloads/driver-list

EDIT: It might be this one? Still unsure. Lenovo's support site is anus. https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/flex-series/ideapad-flex-14d-notebook/downloads/driver-list

17 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

neither of those links work for me. and the actual model id of this laptop is the lenovo flex 14API

2 hours ago, LanceThePants said:

Hey! The Amazon link is $50 more than the video advertises, and it only has 8Gb of ram, not 12Gb like in the video.

Correct link: https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Convertible-Touchscreen-Processor-81SS000DUS/dp/B07TWHYTSQ/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Lenovo+Flex+14+2-in-1+Convertible+Laptop%2C+14+Inch+FHD%2C+Touchscreen%2C+AMD+Ryzen+5+3500U+Processor&qid=1573959065&s=electronics&sr=1-1

@JonoT You linked the 8gb model.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

6 hours ago, AlexTheGreatish said:

Wanted to compare the Intel vs. AMD versions of this laptop.  I don't there there are currently any 10th gen Intel chips in budget laptops (although that will probably change soon).

2 hours ago, BrandonF said:

Costco has a very good price for the upgraded ssd as well as ryzen 7

https://www.costco.com/.product.1374520.html

It's all in here (created it for myself, but might as well share it): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1l6p6PtLrPKnS0c3KVnzmNQ-tGVaRdU6jzxuu2ATcjN0/edit?usp=sharing

FYI, the Flex 14 featured in the video is listed in the bottom half. ;)