Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SnowWolf370

Steam account put on hold, for not paying?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

So while working on things with my bank, I did something I don't often do! I went through the list of withdrawls from my account. This is a long list of any payments I make, either online like a online store, bills or any purchases made with a credit card.

I noticed a few days ago I paid 10 NOK, that's a bit over 1 USD to 'Valve Corporation'.. I had no idea what form of purchase this could be, but I noticed it's been happening every 3 weeks. However when I buy a game from Steam or make a purchase inside a game, it shows up on the list as 'Steam Games' not 'Valve Corporation'.

Of course, like always Steam support did not really care to respond to any form of questions. So I simply made a dispute with my bank, this cancels the last payment and puts all the previous payments into dispute with whoever is getting them. At this point I was thinking maybe it's something else that's gotten my credit card information and simply poses as Valve Corporation.

However a few hours after doing that, when trying to log onto my Steam account it simply says that my account is on hold and sends me to the support page.. Where I get sent around in circles in the ticket section, I eventually managed to get to make another Steam ticket.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Why would Steam or Valve charge me a bit over a dollar every 3 weeks?

From what I remember, purchases made through Steam will show up as "Steam Games" (or some variant of it, for me it shows as STEAMGAMES.COM). I wonder if it was some verification that Valve was doing for your region or something for it to show as "Valve Corporation", or if your account had been compromised. Could always be the latter, especially if you've done trading in a game like CS:GO or Team Fortress 2.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 64% (content loudness 3.9dB)

Local VHS collector and video capture amateur. Also the only confirmed Saturn wagon owner here. PM me for any questions concerning VHS recording if interested.

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Tyler :^

2 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

From what I remember, purchases made through Steam will show up as "Steam Games" (or some variant of it, for me it shows as STEAMGAMES.COM). I wonder if it was some verification that Valve was doing for your region or something for it to show as "Valve Corporation", or if your account had been compromised. Could always be the latter, especially if you've done trading in a game like CS:GO or Team Fortress 2.

I don't play neither of those games.

I've never traded or done anything like that on Steam. I just bought games in the store and played them. Never been engaged with the marketplace or trading.

2 minutes ago, SnowWolf370 said:

I've never traded or done anything like that on Steam. I just bought games in the store and played them. Never been engaged with the marketplace or trading.

Hmm, odd. Could be possible that your card itself (or maybe your email?) might've been compromised from something else. Dunno what else could've happened.

Volume / Normalized 100% / 64% (content loudness 3.9dB)

Local VHS collector and video capture amateur. Also the only confirmed Saturn wagon owner here. PM me for any questions concerning VHS recording if interested.

@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie | Jake x Tyler :^

Steam is upset at my account because I haven't bought anything in a year or two, granted they haven't locked it. Don't think there's anything you can do other than try to figure it out with Lord and savior Gaben. Praise Steam. Epic bad.

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

Steam is upset at my account because I haven't bought anything in a year or two, granted they haven't locked it. Don't think there's anything you can do other than try to figure it out with Lord and savior Gaben. Praise Steam. Epic bad.

This is another blow to PC gaming for me, dealing with this kind of... Stuff.

I remember trying to play the new Tomb Raider games on my PC and that experience was also horrible.

Now Steam is deciding to pull this move... The Xbox One X as a replacement as my gaming center is more and more tempting. Tomb Raider was an amazing experience on the console!

Just now, SnowWolf370 said:

I remember trying to play the new Tomb Raider games on my PC and that experience was also horrible.

Now Steam is deciding to pull this move... The Xbox One X as a replacement as my gaming center is more and more tempting. Tomb Raider was an amazing experience on the console!

i cant cope with console graphics anymore since moving to pc.

Remember to give me those smiley face things or tick or the i if i do a good post.

Team Blue, so understand I will be unreasonable to Intel V AMD Arguments even if i ever buy a AMD rig, i will still be anti AMD. Me saying AMD is OK is a big thing to me so be happy and go away.

Alienware 17r5

500D SE sexy rgb build incoming.

Widescreen build incoming for music production featuring zen 3

A few negligible workstation builds

Gaming Routers are Stupid, I have a problem about spending too much money on a Motherboard.

/pcmasterrace /widescreenmasterrace

Audiophile, EL8 Titanium go to drivers for weight to performance ratio.

Music Setup Cubase 10 PRO, Adam A8X, Adam Sub8.

I dont ask stupid questions, I just word them stupid so you think its stupid.

im not stupid your stupid calling me stupid stupid

Why are you still reading this this is prob all wildly outdated as i just found out how to change signature and ill prob never be bothered again hahahahhahahahaa.

The word "Gaming" and anything around it is cringe. E.G

I'm a gamer les go play fortnite. In cringe 9 year old voice.

I want a Gaming Computer to play fortnite. In cringe 9 year old voice.

Gaming is dumb enthusiast is cool.

Whitebread / Brownbread

Coffee/Tea

PoachedEgg/FriedEgg

IHaveTimeToKill/KillToTimeHaveI

Idk how many lines this is im not counting im prob breaking rules #rebel

3 minutes ago, SnowWolf370 said:

I like PC gaming, I hate Steam. Everyone wants to shit on GOG and Epic for some reason, but most of the free games I've gotten from Epic I can run DRM free, and it's quite a library of completely free games I have now. I have never had any issue with any other launcher, but Steam is a joke. It's basically got damn near a monopoly now though.

Like Epic doesn't have a shopping cart? Big deal. Ever since Steam fucked me over and refunded an entire purchase instead of a single item so I had to re-purchase everything at a higher price I've bought stuff one at a time just to avoid that.

4 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

i cant cope with console graphics anymore since moving to pc.

Xbox One X has the enchanced mode, better textures.. 4K and HDR. Hands down, looks amazing. But that's a topic for another thread and another time.

4 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Chargeback always lead to suspended accounts, it's in the TOS. Steam does have terrible support though. 

But why would it show up as Valve Corporation instead of Steam Games.. And why are they charging a bit over a dollar every 3 weeks?

1 minute ago, SnowWolf370 said:

But why would it show up as Valve Corporation instead of Steam Games.. And why are they yanking out a bit over a dollar every 3 weeks?

That really makes no sense to me. They don't have anything subscription based.

2 hours ago, SnowWolf370 said:

Why would Steam or Valve charge me a bit over a dollar every 3 weeks?

It could be some sort of a periodic check that the credit card you've got on record isn't a fake one or stolen. Usually the money is refunded back to the account within a few days, though.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, JZStudios said:

That really makes no sense to me. They don't have anything subscription based.

They have to do something. Otherwise why would they put my account on hold when I do a chargeback?

Unless whatever is pulling money from my account is something else posing as Steam and my Steam account getting put on hold at the same time is simply a coincidence. It would really help if it said WHY my account is on hold, not just to contact support.. Because support does not reply at all it seems.

Just now, WereCatf said:

It could be some sort of a periodic check that the credit card you've got on record isn't a fake one or stolen. Usually the money is refunded back to the account within a few days, though.

Yeah I was looking into that, PayPal used to do that a long time ago to verify credit cards. However the dollar going to the Valve Corporation goes out every 3 weeks. There's no record of me getting that dollar back. Ever. About 44 USD has gone to Valve Corporation over a period of time, when you put all them together. Never gotten anything back.

I can see the paid games and purchases I've done in games show up as Steam Games, not Valve Corporation.

Otherwise why would they put my account on hold when I do a chargeback?

Doing a chargeback is a bad idea anyways, since it almost always results in you getting banned from whatever service is in question. I would've just removed the credit card from Steam, instead, and checked if it keeps happening.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Doing a chargeback is a bad idea anyways, since it almost always results in you getting banned from whatever service is in question. I would've just removed the credit card from Steam, instead, and checked if it keeps happening.

I didn't think about simply removing the card from Steam.

However this entire situation would have been avoided if Steam actually had a customer support service that.. Well, I don't know? Actually does support the customers? I saw on the better business site that they get a grade F... EA Games get a grade A+... Go figure, lol.

However this entire situation would have been avoided if Steam actually had a customer support service that.. Well, I don't know? Actually does support the customers?

You could probably count all the people in the world that are actually happy with Steam's customer-support with one hand's fingers.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

You could probably count all the people in the world that are actually happy with Steam's customer-support with one hand's fingers.

The people happy with Steam customer support most likely work at Steam customer support...... lol.

Lifted from steams support page on this kind of issue in the spoiler below. 

Only way forward is steam support and waiting at this point. 

Spoiler

Why you should contact Steam Support before disputing the charges

We strongly suggest that you contact us before filing a dispute with your bank or with PayPal as we can return the funds to you without any paperwork or claim forms. We will also ban your payment account from our system so that it cannot be used again. As part of this process, we can also investigate the fraudulent individual's Steam account(s) and take appropriate action against them.

Information to submit for unrecognized Credit Card charges:

• The approximate date of the charge
  • The exact amount of the charge as it appears on your statement
  • The type of card that was used (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, etc.)
  • The last 4 digits of the credit card
  • A phone number that we can use to reach you if necessary

Worst thing you could have done was to dispute the charge with your bank because now valve gets a credit ding and they dont like those a whole lot. 

Updated Build 2019 | 3700X | EVGA FTW 1080 | 16gb 3200mhz HyperX Predator | Aorus b450 | Phanteks p300 Eclipse | MSI Optix MAG271cqr | Sennheiser 558 + MXL 770 + Soundblaster K3+

10 hours ago, Atmos said:

Lifted from steams support page on this kind of issue in the spoiler below. 

Only way forward is steam support and waiting at this point. 

Reveal hidden contents

Why you should contact Steam Support before disputing the charges

We strongly suggest that you contact us before filing a dispute with your bank or with PayPal as we can return the funds to you without any paperwork or claim forms. We will also ban your payment account from our system so that it cannot be used again. As part of this process, we can also investigate the fraudulent individual's Steam account(s) and take appropriate action against them.

Information to submit for unrecognized Credit Card charges:

• The approximate date of the charge
  • The exact amount of the charge as it appears on your statement
  • The type of card that was used (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Discover, etc.)
  • The last 4 digits of the credit card
  • A phone number that we can use to reach you if necessary

Worst thing you could have done was to dispute the charge with your bank because now valve gets a credit ding and they dont like those a whole lot. 

I did try to contact them but they never replied within a timely fashion.

However I now got a update from support, they say my account is put on hold because I did a chargeback. I replied asking what the dollar every 3 weeks went too, since I have no idea what kind of payment this is and why Valve is taking it from my account.

Steam support did not reply, but they did close the ticket after 15 minutes. So... I guess, I need to make a new one?...

lol...

4 hours ago, SnowWolf370 said:

I did try to contact them but they never replied within a timely fashion.

However I now got a update from support, they say my account is put on hold because I did a chargeback. I replied asking what the dollar every 3 weeks went too, since I have no idea what kind of payment this is and why Valve is taking it from my account.

Steam support did not reply, but they did close the ticket after 15 minutes. So... I guess, I need to make a new one?...

lol...

Yeah, steam support is ass, but its really all you have. It might honestly be too late to do anything though because like i said, companies despise chargebacks. It damages their credit rating and reversing them can be nigh impossible in some situations. 

Their support is infamous for taking over a month to reply, but its all ye got so good luck man, seriously. 

Updated Build 2019 | 3700X | EVGA FTW 1080 | 16gb 3200mhz HyperX Predator | Aorus b450 | Phanteks p300 Eclipse | MSI Optix MAG271cqr | Sennheiser 558 + MXL 770 + Soundblaster K3+

19 hours ago, SnowWolf370 said:

If you don't play csgo then,  bye. No help for you. 

Try to reach a level 2 support tier and then politely explain to them what happened.  But next time NEVER do a chargeback.  Just remove the credit card.  Then at least the WORST that could happen is ONE GAME being unable to be played or you getting some sort of email about needing some payment--then you have a target to focus on.  A Chargeback is the worst thing you can do, unless a lot of money was suddenly taken out by a company.

On 11/16/2019 at 2:48 PM, SnowWolf370 said:

The people happy with Steam customer support most likely work at Steam customer support...... lol.

HA! People working at Steam customer support. That's a good one.

Makes me think of GOG and owning game for good.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 56 Vega RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 2x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4K 60hz 34-60 freesync 10bit IPS.