Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RapidTurtle

Best program to prevent background apps comsuming ram

Recommended Posts

Free RAM is wasted RAM. Windows tries to keep as much stuff in memory as possible to speed things up and will move things around as needed. So unless you're getting app crashes due to out-of-memory errors, I wouldn't worry about it and let the OS do its job.


Remember to quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Dinesh1 said:

Best program to prevent background apps comsuming ram 8 gb ram is 40 % consumed.

Not sure exactly what you're talking about here. Are you saying in Windows, outside of gaming, while not doing anything, task manager shows 40% of your 8GB RAM is being used?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 hours ago, Intransigent said:

Not sure exactly what you're talking about here. Are you saying in Windows, outside of gaming, while not doing anything, task manager shows 40% of your 8GB RAM is being used?

Yes

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dinesh1 said:

Yes

Not sure if that's strange or not. I have 16GB of RAM and when idle and nothing up except task manager, RAM usage is around 20%. Since you have half of my RAM, 40% might be normal.

 

What exactly is being used? When in the task manager, sort it by memory and look at what is hogging your memory and exactly how much memory it is using. Make sure everything is closed except task manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Not sure if that's strange or not.

 

What exactly is being used? When in the task manager, sort it by memory and look at what is hogging your memory and exactly how much memory it is using. Make sure everything is closed except task manager.

It is strange to me..

Win10 Background app feature.

  • Open Settings.
  • Click on Privacy.
  • Click on Background apps.
  • Under the "Choose which apps can run in the background" section, turn off the toggle switch for the apps you want to restrict.

^I enabled the global OFF toggle.


Whenever (multiple machines) I've installed Windows,..and only by turning off background apps in the privacy control panel..
Reboot,.. on startup I'm using 1.5-1.8GB of 8GB/16GB systems... It might start around 1.8-2GB but then backs off to 1.5-1.8GB used..

 

OP - Could very well be a laptop/desktop prebuilt with bloatware installed for all we know yet...


Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

on startup I'm using 1.5-1.8GB of 8GB/16GB systems... It might start around 1.8-2GB but then backs off to 1.5-1.8GB used..

That's really good numbers, I just turned on my desktop from sleep mode(I'm using my laptop to type this) and under Memory it's showing 3.6 GB(22.8 MB) is in use (Compressed). Which is 23%. Seems I need to free my Memory up too. I just counted the amount of processes and it's at 144 processes(sheesh). Only 7 of them are over 30 MB's and well over half of them are under 2 MB's though, so I'd think that's good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

That's really good numbers, I just turned on my desktop from sleep mode(I'm using my laptop to type this) and under Memory it's showing 3.6 GB(22.8 MB) is in use (Compressed). Which is 23%. Seems I need to free my Memory up too. I just counted the amount of processes and it's at 144 processes(sheesh). Only 7 of them are over 30 MB's and well over half of them are under 2 MB's though, so I'd think that's good.

It's likely a fresh boot may indeed be less,.. the sleep you mentioned could be sourcing data it has stored into memory right? (I'm not sure, just spitballin)

 

This is me, PC has been on for half an hour,..now Firefox is open, and some select apps in SysTray that are not bothersome.
MSI, FancyCache(disabled atm), GFLauncher and thats it..

 

lol, Ignore the 5.27Ghz, misreported as when I use a MEMstrap of 200Mhz or 266Mhz (one of them borks TaskManager CPU speeds)
 

ME.jpg


Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

It's likely a fresh boot may indeed be less,.. the sleep you mentioned could be sourcing data it has stored into memory right? (I'm not sure, just spitballin)

You're right, I went into the settings and turned off running apps in the background(only had 3 running, Windows Security, Snip & Sketch and Settings). Rebooted and now it's at just 12% 2.1 GB (0 MB) in use (Compressed). I'm gonna wait about 5 minutes and then set those 3 things to run in the background again and see if there's much difference.

 

Not sure why I have Snip & Sketch and Settings running, I guess because I use them a lot and I think if I don't run them in the background that it will matter in someway. Same with the Windows Security. Maybe I can just leave them off and have nothing running in the background and it won't matter much? Meaning that I'll still have access to my Windows Security, Settings and Snip & Sketch?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

You're right, I went into the settings and turned off running apps in the background(only had 3 running, antivirus, snip & sketch and Settings). Rebooted and now it's at just 12% 2.1 GB (0 MB) in use (Compressed). I'm gonna wait about 5 minutes and then set those 3 things to run in the background again and see if there's much difference.

 

Not sure why I have Snip & Sketch and Settings running, I guess because I use them a lot and I think if I don't run them in the background that it will matter in someway. Same with the Antivirus I have installed. Maybe I can just leave them off and have nothing running in the background and it won't matter much? Meaning that I'll still have access to my antivirus, settings and snip & sketch?

They don't get stopped from being access or run,.. it just means when you click the X to close in the corner,.. it actually does it.
And then you can reopen it.

Snip and Sketch all still works fine,.. all apps do, as per normal.. just won't stay in the processes list (semi-Open) if you turn off background apps.
I use snip and sketch nearly everyday from the system tray.

 

Background Tasks runs (for speedy access) are likely for those running Windows10 without an SSD or fast storage with ample RAM (4gb+)

(Windows devs thinking about your Grandma PC's)

 

For most of us, I think SSD's make background app features redundant.


Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

They don't get stopped from being access or run,.. it just means when you click the X to close in the corner,.. it actually does it. And then you can reopen it.

Well in that case, I have no reason to leave them running in the background. Guess I just never realized this. Ya' learn something new everyday.

 

On a side note, I just tested when those 3 things are running and when they are disabled, the results is pretty much the same thing. 13% 2.0 GB (0 MB) in use (Compressed). Still gonna disable running apps in the background just because I feel I don't need them running if I can just open them.

3 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Snip and Sketch all still works fine,.. all apps do, as per normal.. just won't stay in the processes list (semi-Open) if you turn off background apps. I use snip and sketch nearly everyday from the system tray.

Glad to know this. And yes, Snip & Sketch is a must use on a daily basis. I've noticed that for some reason it doesn't work on my laptop. Like, I'll hold the same Windows Key + Shift + S to bring up the Snip and it brings it up but when I highlight what I want to snip and let go, it doesn't bring it up in the system tray like it does on my desktop. I've only had my laptop a week so I have yet to look into why it's not working right.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Background Tasks runs (for speedy access) are likely for those running Windows10 without an SSD or fast storage with ample RAM (4gb+)

(Windows devs thinking about your Grandma PC's)

I just checked my laptop and it's using 38% when idle. That's insane. Especially when I only have 4GB of RAM on it and I'm currently doing a lot of low spec gaming on it. I need all the free RAM I can get.

 

I'm with @Dinesh1 on this. What is the best way to prevent background processes from running? I kind of don't want to use a program for this unless that's what it's made to do. And does individually ending all these background processes from the task manager mean they'll no longer run in the background permanently(or at least until I open them manually again)?

 

It's already a tough task to lookup all 144 background process I have running on my desktop and I'd guess it's even more than that on my laptop. I'd think freeing up RAM on my desktop won't matter much since I have 16GB of RAM and no game I own actually needs that much RAM but I'm almost certain freeing up RAM on my laptop will matter big time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

I just checked my laptop and it's using 38% when idle. That's insane. Especially when I only have 4GB of RAM on it and I'm currently doing a lot of low spec gaming on it. I need all the free RAM I can get.

 

38% of 4096

1556.48MB RAM Used

You are about exactly where it should land...for Windows 10
Use Windows 7 and it can get as low as 700-900MB (Usually 900MB-1.1GB) used on Boot.
Losing Directx12 but for a laptop, are you playing DX12 only titles?

 

You could Disable some of the WIndows Animations and effects using the SYSTEM control panel option.
Maybe this'll free some more... but KEEP SMOOTH Edges of Screen Fonts Enabled! Disable everything else or create a Hybrid Mix of on vs off to suit tastes.

Annotation 2019-11-17 142647.jpg


Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

You are about exactly where it should land...for Windows 10

Ok good.

39 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Use Windows 7 and it can get as low as 700-900MB (Usually 900MB-1.1GB) used on Boot. Losing Directx12 but for a laptop, are you playing DX12 only titles?

Oh I'm all for Windows 10, surprisingly it's Pro as well. Too familiar with it to give it up for 7. Not worried about DX12 at all either.

41 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

You could Disable some of the WIndows Animations and effects using the SYSTEM control panel option. Maybe this'll free some more... but KEEP SMOOTH Edges of Screen Fonts Enabled! Disable everything else or create a Hybrid Mix of on vs off to suit tastes.

Ha, I did this on day 1. I have it set to adjust for best performance. Didn't check any of them either because I'm just used to them all being unchecked. What exactly is Smooth Edges of Screen Fonts? I'm sure it's convenient or better looking but I most likely have no idea of the difference.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Ok good.

Oh I'm all for Windows 10, surprisingly it's Pro as well. Too familiar with it to give it up for 7. Not worried about DX12 at all either.

Ha, I did this on day 1. I have it set to adjust for best performance. Didn't check any of them either because I'm just used to them all being unchecked. What exactly is Smooth Edges of Screen Fonts? I'm sure it's convenient or better looking but I most likely have no idea of the difference.

Smooth Edges, I've never bothered to see differences, just based what I've read saying it can look worse..and I just believed it (bad logic but whatever)


Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Working in design, graphics, I need smooth edges on screen fonts. I set that one and having desktop composition, show thumbnails instead of icons (for browsing image folders), and use visual styles on windows and buttons. Those 4 and nothing more. Nothing missed for actual graphic work, and no performance loss. And I should notice more than anyone, super old and under powered work PC here, every bit asked to the machine is amplified compared to other people's PCs. I need to optimize every bit (am on Windows 7 yet).  :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×