New Monitor Looks Crappy :/

Dathtom

Hi, 

So i just bought a new monitor, but the colours and whites especailly looks really bad in compariosn with my other one.

I've tried fiddling around with colour settings and calibrations but nothing seems to make it better,

Any ideas??

Tom

Pics  attached (one on left is bad.)

post-7161-0-99108500-1367089786_thumb.jp

post-7161-0-96085600-1367089795_thumb.jp

post-7161-0-81500200-1367089928_thumb.jp

post-7161-0-99108500-1367089786_thumb.jp

post-7161-0-96085600-1367089795_thumb.jp

post-7161-0-81500200-1367089928_thumb.jp

Case: Corsair 500R ¦ Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 ¦ CPU: i5-3570K @  4.7Ghz ¦ Cooler: H100i ¦ Graphics: MSI R7950 Twin Frozer III ¦ PSU: Corsair CX750M ¦ Storage: 1x OCZ Agility 3 120gb, 1x Seagate 500gb, 1x WD 1TB Blue ¦¦

Left is HP 23xi, right is LG FLATRON E2342 

Case: Corsair 500R ¦ Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 ¦ CPU: i5-3570K @  4.7Ghz ¦ Cooler: H100i ¦ Graphics: MSI R7950 Twin Frozer III ¦ PSU: Corsair CX750M ¦ Storage: 1x OCZ Agility 3 120gb, 1x Seagate 500gb, 1x WD 1TB Blue ¦¦

Its hard to capture exactly what is wrong with colors in a photo but what I would recommend is check to see if anyone else in reveiws is having this problem, a good place to check would be a site like newegg. Then get a RMA on it, it will take time for the shipping, I know, it sucks, but the sooner you get a new one, the better.

Its hard to capture exactly what is wrong with colors in a photo but what I would recommend is check to see if anyone else in reveiws is having this problem, a good place to check would be a site like newegg. Then get a RMA on it, it will take time for the shipping, I know, it sucks, but the sooner you get a new one, the better.

I wont be RMAing it I'll just get a new one straight away as I work for the store that I bought it from. DO you think its a busted monitor then?

The left monitor has better whites. The right one is clearly blue, not even close to white. You can see that the HP IPS panel (the left one) used really good LED backlight, while the LG TN panel on the right is complete crap. As for the rest, I cannot say. Not only the pictures don't show much, but you compressed a lot. If you are going to use JPEG, make sure it's on max quality, else use PNG.

All I can see, is that the monitor on the right has a too strong contrast, which makes you see less of details in the black areas. While the left one is correct, maybe a bit too weak contrast, but I am not sure if that's you that changed settings of the monitor or not. Reset to default the colors settings, and any adjustment you did in Windows.

Things to note:

If you are doing a multi-monitor setup, and you want the 2 monitors to be identical in colors, you need to buy the 2 monitors at the same time, so that it comes from the same batch. Different batch and different times, means that the manufacture might have changed the backlight manufacture to meet demand or reduce cost, or solve issues, either production wise or consumer wise. Same for any internal components of the monitor.

I think it's just a calibration issue (mainly color temp)

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

The left monitor has better whites. The right one is clearly blue, not even close to white. 

+1

You're probably just used to the colder color-temperature of your old monitor.

Dathtom, reset both monitors to factory defaults and 6500K colour temperature.

Then run the built in Windows 7 display calibration on both screens. It's not professional grade but it does the job to ensure that the contrast, brightness and grayscale settings are not completely wrong.

I agree with Goodbytes, the LG has a blue tint while the HP lacks contrast.

This is the reason I will never get non-matching or cheaper monitors. It can't be worth it when the differences can be that large, that'd drive me insane if I couldn't even match them up perfectly using the colour settings.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I fiddled around with the settings on both monitors, and I think you were right in that I was just used to the old monitor. They both look slightly different but it's much less notable now.

Thanks!

Tom