Do I need more cores for games

15 minutes ago, ThurraxKidd said:

Lmao I'm fine I mostly play games from 2016 and before on pc. I get newer AAAs on ps4 just because as of right now that is my only thing that will run them

I wouldn't worry too much then. I hear people all of the time complain about frame drops on similar CPU's but it hasn't been a problem for me, even with 2018-19 titles. Maybe I just haven't noticed it or occasionally dropping to 50 fps for a millisecond doesn't bother me too much.

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

I wouldn't worry too much then. I hear people all of the time complain about frame drops on similar CPU's but it hasn't been a problem for me, even with 2018-19 titles. Maybe I just haven't noticed it or occasionally dropping to 50 fps for a millisecond doesn't bother me too much.

A 5700 may bottleneck a little bit with a 2200g...they are overclockable though.

I meant the rx5500s that will be launching soon as the new mid tier amd cards to replace the 570, 580, and 590 for 1080p gaming lol

52 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

For the record,  it runs at about 110 fps maximum in some sections, in others it can go as low a 40, even if just for a short time (1-2 seconds)  very annoying,  very frustrating and I sure wish reviewers would point these things out more (but that's not their job obviously,  their job is to sell,  while still somewhat appearing "neutral"...)

One of the worst fail buys I did in my life,  and I did my research, "yes this CPU will run games at 60fps when paired with a mid range GPU"

Well, it does,  on average, and possibly on very low settings...

For 1080/60 it *is* already obsolete in my opinion, and own experience, you'd be much better off with pretty much any other Ryzen, but you gotta know what you want (you won't get 1080/60 in most modern titles with this CPU, only "probably maybe sometimes 60fps...")  If frame drops don't bother you or you only play indies,  then go for it for all I care though! :)

A RX570  is proven to be able to maintain a relatively steady 55-60 fps @ 1080p on medium-high settings in many, many AAA titles. This has been published time and time again. I seriously doubt that it would be bottlenecked by a 2200g as it doesn't ever come close to being bottlenecked by my 2400g... In fact, it's rare for me to see any core go above 40% utilization while the GPU is pegged at 100%. I do have the CPU and GPU modestly overclocked though which yields as much as a 10% increase in Heaven benchmark tests.

38 minutes ago, ThurraxKidd said:

I meant the rx5500s that will be launching soon as the new mid tier amd cards to replace the 570, 580, and 590 for 1080p gaming lol

Ah, okay...

You should be fine, I believe the rx5500s will have comparable performance to the current RX580 with a smaller die size (and hopefully less energy consumption and heat) It should comfortably push the 1080p 60 fps settings you're looking for and not be (seriously) bottlenecked by a 2200g

9 hours ago, steelo said:

LOL...It drives me crazy too. I have a 1080 monitor @ 60hz, so anything over that means little to me. If you do find a special deal on a 2600 where it is not much more than a 2200g, you should go for it...but, it should serve you well for gaming, paired with a mid grade GPU like a RX570/RX580. Ryzen CPU's also respond very well to overclocking

The only game I know of that you (may) experience issues is Battlefield 5...the game does a lousy job of CPU optimization and unless you have 8c/12t, it will probably stutter a bit.

It drives me crazy when people ignore minimums.  In many games it takes 100+ fps average to have minimums not drop below 60.

23 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

It drives me crazy when people ignore minimums.  In many games it takes 100+ fps average to have minimums not drop below 60.

Not necessarily true. You don't need to be able to achieve 100+ fps in order to maintain a relatively steady 60 fps. Using that logic, everybody would need to be equipped with a current gen i7 and a GTX1080 in order to play esports titles at 60 fps. I have a pretty modest cpu and gpu (2400g/RX570) not much more powerful than the CPU being recommended to the OP and can keep frame rates around 60 without any significant dips on 1080p/high settings. Once in a great while, I will see frame rates dip into to around ~45 fps for maybe a second, although I feel it has a lot to do with my internet connection as all of the games I play are based on online servers...it really is not a significant issue (for me) and I don't feel it detracts me from enjoying game play.

A significant hindrance would be frame rates dropping to 25 fps every few seconds...the OP should not experience this issue and it would signify a problem. IMO, he should fairly easily be able to play most AAA titles at medium-high settings very close to 60 fps without any issues. It will be a night and day difference from his current system.

21 hours ago, steelo said:

Not necessarily true. You don't need to be able to achieve 100+ fps in order to maintain a relatively steady 60 fps. Using that logic, everybody would need to be equipped with a current gen i7 and a GTX1080 in order to play esports titles at 60 fps. I have a pretty modest cpu and gpu (2400g/RX570) not much more powerful than the CPU being recommended to the OP and can keep frame rates around 60 without any significant dips on 1080p/high settings. Once in a great while, I will see frame rates dip into to around ~45 fps for maybe a second, although I feel it has a lot to do with my internet connection as all of the games I play are based on online servers...it really is not a significant issue (for me) and I don't feel it detracts me from enjoying game play.

A significant hindrance would be frame rates dropping to 25 fps every few seconds...the OP should not experience this issue and it would signify a problem. IMO, he should fairly easily be able to play most AAA titles at medium-high settings very close to 60 fps without any issues. It will be a night and day difference from his current system.

E-Sports titles run at ~200fps with a dual core.  Almost all of them are on ancient engines with simple graphics.

Destiny 2 is a prime example of a game that swings from 30 to 100 fps on a core limited system.  It can see 80+ averages with minimums of ~30.  Same with Elite, you can average 90fps and still bottom out in the 30s or 40s.

17 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

E-Sports titles run at ~200fps with a dual core.  Almost all of them are on ancient engines with simple graphics.

Destiny 2 is a prime example of a game that swings from 30 to 100 fps on a core limited system.  It can see 80+ averages with minimums of ~30.  Same with Elite, you can average 90fps and still bottom out in the 30s or 40s.

I get a solid 50 in destiny 2 on my dual core system with my gtx 660

3 minutes ago, ThurraxKidd said:

I get a solid 50 in destiny 2 on my dual core system with my gtx 660

With lows in the mid 30s which is not terrible for it. Lol about the same as my experience would be playing it on ps4

7 minutes ago, ThurraxKidd said:

With lows in the mid 30s which is not terrible for it. Lol about the same as my experience would be playing it on ps4

The problem I find with Destiny 2 is that it is so voracious in its quest for CPU cycles that it interferes with things like xinput for control pads.

5 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The problem I find with Destiny 2 is that it is so voracious in its quest for CPU cycles that it interferes with things like xinput for control pads.

I just mapped my buttons on my gamepad to the keyboard and mouse buttons the best I could because it wouldnt recognize my ds4

Just now, ThurraxKidd said:

I just mapped my buttons on my gamepad to the keyboard and mouse buttons the best I could because it wouldnt recognize my ds4

Ive got a DS3 and I use the SCP toolkit to re-map it to an xinput pad, mainly so I can use it without the hassle of doing mouse mapping.

1 minute ago, KarathKasun said:

Ive got a DS3 and I use the SCP toolkit to re-map it to an xinput pad, mainly so I can use it without the hassle of doing mouse mapping.

Oof ds3s are terrible controllers compared to the current gen controllers. Besides the first party ds4 that is

Just now, ThurraxKidd said:

Oof ds3s are terrible controllers compared to the current gen controllers. Besides the first party ds4 that is

Eh, I find them easier to use than the DS4s and xbox pads.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Eh, I find them easier to use than the DS4s and xbox pads.

I guess to each his own lol. I just prefer my switch controller over others

22 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

Which really won't affect game play under most circumstances because we're talking about millisecond dips, especially if it is able to average 90 fps. If dual core CPU's can run esports titles at ~200 fps, I'm confident in saying a quad core 2200g can run his older games (from 2016) quite well.

You do realize ps4 and xbo run many games in the 30-40 fps range.

Games as well as most programs will continue to make more use of cores and threads, but if you are very strapped for cash consider this

Instead of buying a GPU right away, you spend that money on a good B450, MSI Tomahawk or ASRock B450(m) Pro4 or similar, or good cheap X570 (Asus or Gigabyte, do not get cheap MSI x570, the VRMs are god awful) then let the good motherboard pay off for itself down the line

Strategy with that is get a good motherboard+2200G, reasonable ram(2x 2666-2933 or so,4-8gb sticks), power supply, case etc, all the essentials
------> then get GPU,
-------> then after some time upgrade CPU and probably Ram. 
This  is a legit strategy for building say a 300-400$ system (case and power supply included) with very good ability to grow, rather then cheaping out too much now on say moba and then being stuck with 2600 on a crappy, very cheap motherboard, crappy case, or PSU, keyboard, mouse, monitor etc

The 2200g or even 3200g might not be the greatest gaming experience, but you can still game on it, and if you spend money now on other harder to change components like a motherboard, case etc, then you have a great start for building a completely modern system down the line, piecing the cost out over time. 

TLDR: Do not cheap out on motherboard VRMs with Ryzen, you want the upgradability with AM4, but you can still get by with certain 80-120$ (160$ if x570) motherboards, if you save money on CPU for motherboard you will thank yourself down the line if your cash is that tight right now. 

14 hours ago, steelo said:

Which really won't affect game play under most circumstances because we're talking about millisecond dips, especially if it is able to average 90 fps. If dual core CPU's can run esports titles at ~200 fps, I'm confident in saying a quad core 2200g can run his older games (from 2016) quite well.

You do realize ps4 and xbo run many games in the 30-40 fps range.

No, its not millisecond dips, it just drops to 30 fps in specific areas... during combat... It absolutely impacts gameplay.

Esports titles are broadly based on engines or games from 2010 or earlier, not 2016.

Consoles are at least consistent, going from 30 to 100 or 100 to 30 is a massive jump in input latency.

3 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

No, its not millisecond dips, it just drops to 30 fps in specific areas... during combat... It absolutely impacts gameplay.

Esports titles are broadly based on engines or games from 2010 or earlier, not 2016.

Consoles are at least consistent, going from 30 to 100 or 100 to 30 is a massive jump in input latency.

There are so many other factors to consider as to why frame rates would dip so severely...memory speed (Ryzen CPU's, in particular are very finicky about memory speed and really need a dual channel RAM configuration), driver issues, background processes, RAM capacity, etc, etc) It is foolish for one to definitively state that a quad core CPU will experience serious frame rate drops.

As the OP is looking for an improvement over 30 fps and not a high-end gaming rig, I'm confident in saying a quad core 2200g paired with a mid grade graphics card, such as a rx570/580/RX5500 should produce very favorable results over his 1st gen dual core i5. Heck, most mid grade i5's you find today are 'only' quad cores.

12 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Games as well as most programs will continue to make more use of cores and threads, but if you are very strapped for cash consider this

Instead of buying a GPU right away, you spend that money on a good B450, MSI Tomahawk or ASRock B450(m) Pro4 or similar, or good cheap X570 (Asus or Gigabyte, do not get cheap MSI x570, the VRMs are god awful) then let the good motherboard pay off for itself down the line

Strategy with that is get a good motherboard+2200G, reasonable ram(2x 2666-2933 or so,4-8gb sticks), power supply, case etc, all the essentials
------> then get GPU,
-------> then after some time upgrade CPU and probably Ram. 
This  is a legit strategy for building say a 300-400$ system (case and power supply included) with very good ability to grow, rather then cheaping out too much now on say moba and then being stuck with 2600 on a crappy, very cheap motherboard, crappy case, or PSU, keyboard, mouse, monitor etc

The 2200g or even 3200g might not be the greatest gaming experience, but you can still game on it, and if you spend money now on other harder to change components like a motherboard, case etc, then you have a great start for building a completely modern system down the line, piecing the cost out over time. 

TLDR: Do not cheap out on motherboard VRMs with Ryzen, you want the upgradability with AM4, but you can still get by with certain 80-120$ (160$ if x570) motherboards, if you save money on CPU for motherboard you will thank yourself down the line if your cash is that tight right now. 

I already have a system just need to upgrade cpu, mobo, and gpu man. Chill with all this stuff about getting case, psu, keyboard, and mouse. Though I will have to get a new keyboard once I upgrade mobo because my current one uses a ps2 connection

4 hours ago, KarathKasun said:

It wouldnt be jumping from 100 to 30 because I'm not going for 100fps I'm going for stable 60 with vsync on seeing as my tv which is my monitor is only 60 hz. Even though the box said it was 144 hz. Emphasis on anger about it only being 60hz

1 hour ago, ThurraxKidd said:

It wouldnt be jumping from 100 to 30 because I'm not going for 100fps I'm going for stable 60 with vsync on seeing as my tv which is my monitor is only 60 hz. Even though the box said it was 144 hz. Emphasis on anger about it only being 60hz

Vsync will make it worse.  It will instantly jump from 60 to 30, even if you could maintain 40-50.  If you ever fall below 30 for any reason it drops all the way to 15.

6 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Vsync will make it worse.  It will instantly jump from 60 to 30, even if you could maintain 40-50.  If you ever fall below 30 for any reason it drops all the way to 15.

That's not at all how vsync works.

6 hours ago, ThurraxKidd said:

o wow, what type of tv if you don't mind me asking, sounds like a buy to avoid