New cpu?

I recently bought a new intel i5 3570 off ebay. I decided to try and install it on my dell optiplex 790 motherboard. When i turned it on it would run for 2 seconds then shut off an turn on again (it did that 3 times) I waited for a bit and i got no signal from my gpu. I tried re installing my gpu, and again no signal. After i decided to re install my i5 2400. After that my computer booted up perfectly and everything works fine now. I am wondering if it is just the motherboard or a bad cpu, Any help would be much appreciated.

1 minute ago, dinos0ar said:

power supply.

ummm how so? i have a cooler master 600w

just a guess but maybe its the compatibility to the motherboard or the cpu itself is broken.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

2 minutes ago, Martin2132 said:

just a guess but maybe its the compatibility to the motherboard or the cpu itself is broken.

yea well i got a new motherboard so we will see

Just because it has the same socket does not mean it will work.  The board has to support 3rd gen core series CPUs in BIOS/firmware or it wont work.

26 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Just because it has the same socket does not mean it will work.  The board has to support 3rd gen core series CPUs in BIOS/firmware or it wont work.

Alright well i brought a Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard. Would the i5 3570 work in it?

Just now, mikeymaiden said:

Alright well i brought a Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 motherboard. Would the i5 3570 work in it?

Bought`

5 minutes ago, mikeymaiden said:

You should probably check the manufacturers website before buying parts.  That would give you your answer.

Z68 boards, in general, will likely not support that CPU out of the box.  Most will need at least a BIOS update, which would require using your 2400 to even boot the board, then installing the latest BIOS from the website if there is a version that supports 3rd gen CPUs.

70 series chipsets were the ones released with the 3rd gen CPUs.