Question: 2 RTX 2060 Supers or 1 RTX 2080TI

Akaoni_Black

I am not very knowledgable about this kind of thing, but the question I have is which is better? Running 2 RTX 2060 Supers or running a single RTX 2080TI? Base performance, not including overclocking, heating, or power consumption. Thanks!

For what?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

For RELION, having two RTX2060s is preferable to one 2080Ti since you will not be able to run 3D autorefinements since the half-maps cannot be stored comfortably on one card. Having said this for 2D classification and particle picking a single 2080Ti would be better.

Since you didn't specify the use case, I just gave one case from mine.

for gaming a single 2080TI is better

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Why do people just keep on asking about SLI over and over and over? Is it that difficult to, I dunno, search the forums? It's been answered quite literally a billion times by now.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

SLI isn't fully utilized in modern titles. If gaming is your primary focus you're better off getting the 2080TI

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Why do people just keep on asking about SLI over and over and over? Is it that difficult to, I dunno, search the forums? It's been answered quite literally a billion times by now.

3 minutes ago, Ehmc130 said:

SLI isn't fully utilized in modern titles. If gaming is your primary focus you're better off getting the 2080TI

Well you see, the subtly in this particular question is that a 2060 super is not even SLI/NVLink compatible; and therefore OP may not be asking in the context of gaming (though I doubt the OP is a RELION user either :p) . Afterall, why would you get two graphics card that aren't even SLI/NVlink capable at all?

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

There are many questions on here asked and answered via a quick Google search. 

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

Well you see, the subtly in this particular question is that a 2060 super is not even SLI/NVLink compatible; and therefore OP may not be asking in the context of gaming. Since why would you get two graphics card that aren't even SLI/NVlink capable at all?

If they were planning to use them for e.g. some heavy computational, non-gaming load, they would most likely either stated stated that or wouldn't have needed to ask the question to begin with, though.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

If they were planning to use them for e.g. some heavy computational, non-gaming load, they would most likely either stated stated that or wouldn't have needed to ask the question to begin with, though.

-shrug-, afterall, assumption is the mother of all....

7 minutes ago, For Science! said:

-shrug-, afterall, assumption is the mother of all....

OP is being extremely vague here. If he ever reply's we can figure out WTH he's on about. 

I was speaking in gaming terms (including vr if that is of any consequence), I've just started researching building a computer (watching LTT's all ROG build started the snowball) so please forgive me in my lack of knowledge of the general subject. In the aforementioned video they used 2 rtx 2080ti's. To cut costs as I can't afford those both at the same time I looked into downgrading it to 2060 ti's and after watching his video on gtx 1660 super (this one) and how it performs on par with the gtx 1660 ti I began to wonder if 2 rtx 2060 supers could compete (gaming wise) with a rtx 2080 ti (though now I know they lack some features to make that possible)

going to google the sli/nvi link feature to figure out what that is tbh, never knew about that

1 minute ago, Akaoni_Black said:

I was speaking in gaming terms (including vr if that is of any consequence), I've just started researching building a computer (watching LTT's all ROG build started the snowball) so please forgive me in my lack of knowledge of the general subject. In the aforementioned video they used 2 rtx 2080ti's. To cut costs as I can't afford those both at the same time I looked into downgrading it to 2060 ti's and after watching his video on gtx 1660 super (this one) and how it performs on par with the gtx 1660 ti I began to wonder if 2 rtx 2060 supers could compete (gaming wise) with a rtx 2080 ti (though now I know they lack some features to make that possible)

Do you have a monitor in mind for this build? Your monitor is a huge factor in recommending a GPU. RTX 2060S's do not support SLI, running two for gaming would be a total waste. 

My plan is to get the 4k monitor in their Complete ROG Build video (or something equivalent) eventually some time after the build, though I have a 4k tv to act as a place holder till then

2 minutes ago, Akaoni_Black said:

My plan is to get the 4k monitor in their Complete ROG Build video (or something equivalent) eventually some time after the build, though I have a 4k tv to act as a place holder till then

One 2080ti will be a great fit for your purposes. Game developers are moving away from optimizing for multiple GPU setups so your money is better spent on the single best card you can afford.  

Thanks! this was definitely helpful! and sorry if this kind of info was already in the forums, but I didn't even know where to start tbh. A lot of info to absorb

1 hour ago, Akaoni_Black said:

Thanks! this was definitely helpful! and sorry if this kind of info was already in the forums, but I didn't even know where to start tbh. A lot of info to absorb

It's a lot of information so just take your time, do your research, and if you have any questions along the way, ask. 

3 hours ago, Akaoni_Black said:

I am not very knowledgable about this kind of thing, but the question I have is which is better? Running 2 RTX 2060 Supers or running a single RTX 2080TI? Base performance, not including overclocking, heating, or power consumption. Thanks!

If you're wanting this for gaming, SLI is dead (and so is crossfire). More often than not you'll end up with bugs, worse performance, or no change in performance from using SLI compared to a single GPU. Very few games still properly support it. I'll always suggest getting a single more powerful card over multiple weaker cards.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W