Minecraft on the switch

Donut417

I’m buying Minecraft for the Switch for my nieces and nephews, but I’m thinking of grabbing it myself. 

1) How does the game rate playing it on the TV vs Mobile? Stardew Valley for instance plays better mobile. 

2) How does online play work? Is it good? Can I still make a dedicated server and connect the switches to that? 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

You can purchase a Minecraft realms subscription and any user running the bedrock edition of Minecraft (windows 10, xbox, ps4, phone, etc) can be invited to join it. You will need to have the Nintendo online subscription to connect from the Switch. 

I think you might need to connect your Nintendo account to a Microsoft (Xbox) account in order to join the realms too

18 minutes ago, elpiop said:

You can purchase a Minecraft realms subscription and any user running the bedrock edition of Minecraft (windows 10, xbox, ps4, phone, etc) can be invited to join it. You will need to have the Nintendo online subscription to connect from the Switch. 

I think you might need to connect your Nintendo account to a Microsoft (Xbox) account in order to join the realms too

So I’d have to purchase realms subs for each switch? I’m not to thrilled with having to buy a sub from Microsoft. Considering they have pissed me off. 

2 hours ago, Donut417 said:

So I’d have to purchase realms subs for each switch? I’m not to thrilled with having to buy a sub from Microsoft. Considering they have pissed me off. 

The realm is a dedicated server that you can pay Mojang monthly for. You would only need one subscription. You can also freely join other players' worlds (who you are friends with on Nintendo) without a server.

Apparently you can host your own Bedrock dedicated server (BDS), but I don't know if the Switch version of the game will be able to connect to it. You used to only be able to connect to partnered servers (besides realms), I don't know if that has changed. Here's some posts talking about self hosting on pc. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/MCPE/comments/a01tq8/bedrock_dedicated_server_for_the_switch/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/awmi46/managed_to_connect_to_a_selfhosted_minecraft/ehop19f/

On 11/14/2019 at 6:56 PM, Donut417 said:

You're already buying the game from them.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

6 hours ago, Vitamanic said:

You're already buying the game from them.

Yes but I dont want a recuring fee. I already pay for Disney, Hulu, Netflix, Prime, etc. I dont need a fee to play with 1 other player.