Sell R7 3700x for i9 9900k?

Hello all,

Recently I built myself a PC for gaming and streaming. Its been performing very well, specs below.

GPU: MSI Super Ventus RTX 2070 Super 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Memory: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB @ 3200hz 

Mobo: Asroxk X570 phantom gaming ATX AM4

Storage: 1Tb NVME M.2 SSD

PSU: Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold

Anyway, the main game i play and stream is Rust. I feel like I don't get enough frames in certain situations, when streaming and without. I've compared to multiple friends who have similar specs but intel cpus such as i9 9900k and such. Apparently Rust favors single core performance. My question is, is it worth selling the Ryzen for a 9900k overall? Is it worth the hassle of getting a new motherboard as well? I might just sell the whole system if I decide to do this. Anyway, any advice helps.

As you say, you'd be changing the motherboard as well as the CPU.  Unless that's literally the only game you play, and you know for certain that the performance is significantly better, that seems like a bad idea.  If that really is your situation though, then by all means, you gotta do what's best for you.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

You'll be losing a lot of money.

It's up to you if you think it's worth it..

Personally, I wouldn't.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

16 minutes ago, builder1909 said:

Hello all,

Recently I built myself a PC for gaming and streaming. Its been performing very well, specs below.

GPU: MSI Super Ventus RTX 2070 Super 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Memory: G.skill Ripjaws 16GB @ 3200hz 

Mobo: Asroxk X570 phantom gaming ATX AM4

Storage: 1Tb NVME M.2 SSD

PSU: Seasonic 650W 80+ Gold

Anyway, the main game i play and stream is Rust. I feel like I don't get enough frames in certain situations, when streaming and without. I've compared to multiple friends who have similar specs but intel cpus such as i9 9900k and such. Apparently Rust favors single core performance. My question is, is it worth selling the Ryzen for a 9900k overall? Is it worth the hassle of getting a new motherboard as well? I might just sell the whole system if I decide to do this. Anyway, any advice helps.

It's only like 10% faster at 5ghz depending on your RAM speed.

Did you already try this stuff?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

no, don't do that. if you need more frames overlock first. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Just now, VioDuskar said:

no, don't do that. if you need more frames overlock first. 

you dont overclock Zen 2. you just enable PBO.

unless you go deeply into overclocking, as a simple multiplier overclocking really doesnt help a lot, in fact it makes it slower in a lot of cases. 

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

unless you go deeply into overclocking, as a simple multiplier overclocking really doesnt help a lot, in fact it makes it slower in a lot of cases. 

overclock the GPU....

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Per CCX overclocking can get more out of it, particularly if single-threaded performance is the main priority

I suppose also trying the tricks Linus mentioned in the RAM video would help (overclocking the infinity fabric, tightening RAM timings, etc.)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

overclock the GPU....

that could work. tho 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Per CCX overclocking can get more out of it, particularly if single-threaded performance is the main priority

that is true, tho you are unlikely to get much if any more than what PBO allready offers. tho getting to lock clockspeed at 4,3ghz on a CCX will help in multithreaded games. 

then there is also unlocking the ram to infinity fabric ratio that can yield some improvements, but that is into the more complex of the CPU overclocking space as higher doesnt allways equal better

Just now, King Spartan said:

when people say buying better faster ram will make ryzen better that is true but it is also true with intel too

It used to be faster but with zen 2 it's more about latency than raw speed.  And yeah it might help Intel but that's besides the point, I'm considering ways to make the existing chip perform better

Just now, King Spartan said:

when people say buying better faster ram will make ryzen better that is true but it is also true with intel too

more so with AMD, because it influances more than the clockspeed of the ram. 

4 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

most games want faster core speeds thats why intel is still king in gaming

most games have 1 core pinned that decides the maximum fps. when it comes to 1% lows etc, its a different matter. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

that is true, tho you are unlikely to get much if any more than what PBO allready offers. tho getting to lock clockspeed at 4,3ghz on a CCX will help in multithreaded games.

I'm trying to find some actual comparisons and coming up empty.  From what I can tell it helps with getting more cores up to their full potential at the same time, so if the game only uses one core it's probably no better than PBO but I'm sure it's using at least 2 or 3, even if it's not 8+

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm trying to find some actual comparisons and coming up empty. 

im recalling some allcore overclocks at 4,3 ghz from GN, tho there didnt seem much point to overclocking from the performance metrics. you get a way higher heat output without much if any gains. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

im recalling some allcore overclocks at 4,3 ghz from GN, tho there didnt seem much point to overclocking from the performance metrics. you get a way higher heat output without much if any gains. 

That's typically what a 3900x can hit on all cores, but with per CCX overclocking you can likely get half of them up to 4.4 or 4.5+ since they're made with one ok die and one better one, and afaik with crude overclocks the slower die effectively holds back the better one

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's typically what a 3900x can hit on all cores, but with per CCX overclocking you can likely get half of them up to 4.4 or 4.5+ since they're made with one ok die and one better one, and afaik with crude overclocks the slower die effectively holds back the better one

are those overclocks with 1,4v? as with Zen 2 we i havent really heard much where the degrading zone is. i like to recommend below 1,4v for that reason. 

usually you dont get a whole lot further with the 3700x dies than 4,3-4,4. 

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

are those overclocks with 1,4v? as with Zen 2 we i havent really heard much where the degrading zone is. i like to recommend below 1,4v for that reason. 

usually you dont get a whole lot further with the 3700x dies than 4,3-4,4. 

Ah there's a chart somewhere that's perfect but I'll never find it... basically it's frequency vs voltage with a line for each CPU.  But yeah, the 3700x isn't going to get as far as a 3900x, my point is just that I think you can get proportionally more out of it with a bit of fine tuning, even though they do come so close to the limit from the factory with PBO taking up most of what's left as it is.

Edit nvm found it:

image.png.8340cf479a86ce00a195131e98b2ec49.png