Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
williamcll

New Macbook pro announced with new dimensions

On 11/20/2019 at 6:02 AM, Sorenson said:

If you want to play these games you just buy an $8 OEM copy of windows 10 and instal it on your Mac. If $8 is going to break your bank you can't really afford a Mac.

Where the hell do you buy an $8 OEM for windows as an end user?  

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

From stolen key resellers

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Marques Brownlee posted his review:

He calls it the best laptop Apple has ever made -- that's a pretty bold claim.  Yeah, there's no SD card slot (he brings this up), but otherwise it touches all the bases.  Only reason it's not his dream laptop is because he'd like a smaller model.  I'm with him... if Apple could make a 14-inch MBP with a higher-res screen, the fixed keyboard, a larger battery and better cooling... well, I'm set.

4 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Marques Brownlee posted his review:

He calls it the best laptop Apple has ever made -- that's a pretty bold claim.  Yeah, there's no SD card slot (he brings this up), but otherwise it touches all the bases.  Only reason it's not his dream laptop is because he'd like a smaller model.  I'm with him... if Apple could make a 14-inch MBP with a higher-res screen, the fixed keyboard, a larger battery and better cooling... well, I'm set.

The 16 inch is much too overkill too, the presumed 14 inch Macbook Pro with Intel's 10th gen Ice Lake CPUs should be the winner here, if Apple stick with how they made the 16 inch

PC Rig: GOLDEN HOUR

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 4GHz @ All Cores -- Motherboard: ASUS X470 TUF Plus Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3200 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2070

PSU: Seasonic Focus 650W 80 Plus Gold -- Case: Xigmatek Venom

Monitor: Dell P2719H -- Keyboard: IKBC CD87 Cherry MX Blue -- Mouse: Logitech G603 Lightspeed

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus

Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme - i7 8750H | 32GB DDR4-2666 RAM | 1TB SSD | 4K HDR With Dolby Vision

39 minutes ago, SeraphicWings said:

The 16 inch is much too overkill too, the presumed 14 inch Macbook Pro with Intel's 10th gen Ice Lake CPUs should be the winner here, if Apple stick with how they made the 16 inch

If it had to be my only system, for my needs I'd say the 16-inch would be just enough kill. 😛

But as a secondary system or a main system for modest uses, a smaller model would be much better.

8 hours ago, mr moose said:

Scdkeys.com I’ve bought like three copies from them. I always use Science Studio (now Greg Salazar) promo code to save a little more.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

if Apple could make a 14-inch MBP with a higher-res screen

It’s already at 2560x1600. That’s not high res enough?  

edit: it’s obviously going to be higher res since the display increases in size 🤦‍♂️ 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
50 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s already at 2560x1600. That’s not high res enough?  

edit: it’s obviously going to be higher res since the display increases in size 🤦‍♂️ 

As someone who frequently needs a bunch of apps running at once, the higher the resolution the better!

6 minutes ago, Commodus said:

As someone who frequently needs a bunch of apps running at once, the higher the resolution the better!

Virtual desktops are your friend in that case. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 8 Plus 64GB | Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 | CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 16GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball
3 hours ago, Sorenson said:

Scdkeys.com I’ve bought like three copies from them. I always use Science Studio (now Greg Salazar) promo code to save a little more.

I've heard way too many stories about that site, and kinguin, g2A etc.   The only legitimate keys are the full software keys being sold secondhand by individuals,  OEM keys are not available legitimately from anyone except brand new from MS or a dealer.

QuicK and DirtY. Read the CoC it's like a guide on how not to be moron.  Also I don't have an issue with the VS series.

Sometimes I miss contractions like n't on the end of words like wouldn't, couldn't and shouldn't.    Please don't be a dick,  make allowances when reading my posts.

4 minutes ago, mr moose said:

The only legitimate keys are the full software keys being sold secondhand by individuals,  OEM keys are not available legitimately from anyone except brand new from MS or a dealer.

legitimate or not, the keys work. At least in my experience. 

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

legitimate or not, the keys work. At least in my experience. 

Some of us care about not having our PC's become inactivated after purchase because of where the key was sourced.   Also I don't support people making money selling things they are not allowed to sell. 

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Some of us care about not having our PC's become inactivated after purchase because of where the key was sourced. 

I've had OEM keys activated on 2 home PCs and on my MBP for a little over 3 years. If becoming inactivated was ever going to happen, it would have happened already. 

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Also I don't support people making money selling things they are not allowed to sell. 

Well that's your decision. But me, personally, I'll save the $80. 

9 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I've had OEM keys activated on 2 home PCs and on my MBP for a little over 3 years. If becoming inactivated was ever going to happen, it would have happened already. 

That doesn't mean anything other than you managed to get some keys that haven't become defunct. 

12 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Well that's your decision. But me, personally, I'll save the $80. 

It works like this, every time you buy stolen goods you are making it more attractive to the person doing the stealing,  Some of these keys are brought with stolen credit cards, so when you get a key from those stores, you are adding to the cost of all legitimate business that is involved with CC payments.   It's essentially the same as paying a digital ransom, every time some one does it and criminals make money,  they go ahead and create a new ransomware program.

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

every time you buy stolen goods you are making it more attractive to the person doing the stealing,  Some of these keys are brought with stolen credit cards, so when you get a key from those stores, you are adding to the cost of all legitimate business that is involved with CC payments.   It's essentially the same as paying a digital ransom, every time some one does it and criminals make money,  they go ahead and create a new ransomware program.

I really don't care, I'm not paying $100 for Windows 10. 

I really don't care, I'm not paying $100 for Windows 10. 

Then I expect you will never complain about banking fee's or coming home to find your house has been burgled or anything like that?  seeing as you don;t care where the goods came from.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I'm not paying $100 for Windows 10. 

I think its more like $119 for home and $199 for pro. But at this point I agree. You should just download and install Linux for free. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

Then I expect you will never complain about banking fee's or coming home to find your house has been burgled or anything like that? 

I uses banks without fees. If my house is burgled I have insurance. Neither of these scenarios are related to OEM windows 10 keys though. 

I uses banks without fees. If my house is burgled I have insurance. Neither of these scenarios are related to OEM windows 10 keys though. 

BS,  every time a fraudulent purchase is reversed guess who wears the cost?  I can guarantee you it isn't the bank or the insurance company or the business that sold it.  You do.  You think you don't, but you do.   Every time you support a criminal you are encouraging them to keep doing it.

7 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Every time you support a criminal you are encouraging them to keep doing it.

I. do. not. care.

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I. do. not. care.

then. stop, responding.

31 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Some of us care about not having our PC's become inactivated after purchase because of where the key was sourced.   Also I don't support people making money selling things they are not allowed to sell. 

A $119 key isn't much when spending on a new build, I got tired of having to reactivate an OEM key whenever I had to reinstall the OS, and IMO it's ironic people would rather pirate Windows or get some shady copy after buying a $2000 laptop.

1 minute ago, Blademaster91 said:

after buying a $2000 laptop.

A Laptop would come with a OEM copy of WIndows already activated. 

Its people who build systems like me that have to pay for a copy. OR find an alternate OS like Linux. 

You ever notice that many establishments have a sign that as "No Shirt, No Shoes, No service"? They never say anything about pants............ You know what that implies. You dont have to wear pants. 

7 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

A $119 key isn't much when spending on a new build, I got tired of having to reactivate an OEM key whenever I had to reinstall the OS, and IMO it's ironic people would rather pirate Windows or get some shady copy after buying a $2000 laptop.

Ditto,  The last 3 copies of windows I bought were full retail for exactly the same reason.  It works out to about a $1 a month with the advantage of multiple upgrades, no headaches, no sudden deactivation, no supporting grey market or dodgy markets.

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Ditto,  The last 3 copies of windows I bought were full retail for exactly the same reason.  It works out to about a $1 a month with the advantage of multiple upgrades, no headaches, no sudden deactivation, no supporting grey market or dodgy markets.

Congrats, you payed full retail for an OS microsoft give away for free or at a deep discount to everyone else. These are OEM copies of windows, meaning one time use. The site gets them at a deep discount because they are not reusable and then flips them for a profit. this is not the same as buying a steam code off ebay from some shady guy that got 5k review copies. Microsoft is still paid for the software. If you want to waste your money on a full retail price of windows go ahead. however, i would rather spend the money on the computer. You’re making claims that you aren’t backing up with any experience or evidence. Also, since i’m a teacher, I can get a full retail copy of windows 10 for $10 usd. Lastly, you payed $110 for an operating system that fully intends to take your data and profit from it and preload your computer with bloatware that it makes money off of.